cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

38 and diagnosed today

18 REPLIES 18
Jobey68

Re: 38 and diagnosed today

Hi Avibaby, I'm sorry you've had to join us also, it's the most popular unpopular club ever! 

Herceptin isn't given to those with Triple negative breast cancer as it's only useful when you are HER2 positive, I know it's all confusing in the early days of diagnosis but you will get used to all the terminology.

You are quite right though it is certainly not hopeless and no one is about to die anytime soon Xx 

Avibaby

hello Nrose,

I am just diagnosed also and going through "scares" like you are.

You know, the evidence shows that even if treatments don't completely eliminate this disease, they do keep the disease at bay for a long time. You are not helpless. You will not die soon.

I think that this part of the journey is the most difficult - the "not knowing". 

Hopefully you have met your treatment team, or you will meet them soon. They will be upbeat and positive and have a plan for you.

Mai7
Community Champion

Nicola, blogging can be very therapeutic. I enjoy your holiday and try and live in the moment and not too far ahead. Put those blinkers on and enjoy yourself. Xxx
NRose

Wow Mai7 I think I need to start a blog too! Went for a run this morning but all the stress of the week gave me a migraine after 3 miles so had to get picked up. Good news is that my anxiety is better and it made me have a nice snooze! I’m off to Lanzarote on Thursday whilst they sort out my treatment plan. I’m going to holiday my socks off!!! Silver lining is that the stress has made me lose a couple of pounds so bikini body isn’t too bad. Wil enjoy my boobs and long hair in the sunshine before we say our temporary goodbyes and I kill this bastard off for good
Mai7
Community Champion

Hi Nicola, Cristina and Pickles,  Sorry you find yourselves here.  None of us wanted to join this sh**ty club but here we are and how well we all look after each other.  I was diagnosed back in March 2017 and I finished treatment back in January.  I was just where you are right now feeling very scared and alone and wondering about a lot of things.  I had chemo, surgery and radiotherapy and here I am helping you to get through the same with my big survivors torch lighting the way for you.  It really is a difficult time between diagnosis and the start of treatment so try and keep yourselves distracted with things which will help you prepare.  Once your treatment plan is in place you can join the "going through treatment" threads to network with others going through the same.  Here is my story which I hope you find some comfort from as well as a few useful tips:

http://lifeafterlola.blogspot.com/

Sending lots of hugs. xxxx

blueash
Community Champion

OK NRose the first thing I want to tell you is that the fear of chemo is far far worse than actually getting it.

You can use a cold cap for your hair - I did and kept loads of it.

With two children you will have more issues than me (mine are grown up) because they will still be at school and possibly bringing in germs so just be extra careful with hand washing and making sure that they are.

Next I would watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGafhm1cuSI

at look at the mouse at 42 seconds in compared with the mouse at 50 seconds in. Ask yourself which one you would rather be!

I followed this man's guidelines for my chemo and my side effects were not as bad as others. No bad stomach, no mouth ulcers, never in hospital for infections etc.

I found it easy to fast before chemo and there is a thread about it here:

https://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Chemotherapy/Anyone-else-fasting-while-on-chemo/td-p/102523...

Make sure you join your chemo monthly thread and please ask if you want to know anything. You are going to be fine xxx

Jobey68

Hi Nicola , as Jill says it's so difficult to stop the fear creeping in but the reality isn't anywhere near what you will be imagining, yes TN tends to be a more aggressive form of BC but it responds very well to treatment for the vast majority and does have a lower recurrence rate in the long term than ER and HER2 +.

Try not to read the horror stories, there are many positive ones too it's just those people are getting on with life and not posting on forums. 

Many of us here can't take hormone follow on meds for our ER+ BC for various reasons myself included so we are not getting any benefit going forward either. You certainly wouldn't be alone if you were TN.

Just take things a day at a time and try not to speculate, even the most dire of situations do turn out well in the end, there is so much treatment available that you certainly are not about to die anytime soon, we all feel that initially but all the lovely ladies I've spoken to here since joining the forum 3.5 years ago are all still going strong! Xx Jo 

Jill1998
Community Champion

Sending you a big hug Nicola .Its very hard in the beginning to stop your mind going to dark places particularly when you don't have the full picture as yet .You will feel much better when you have all the information and can get on with your treatment .There are ladies with triple negative BC on the forum who are fit and well many years later .Best wishes Jill.
NRose

Same here, very up and down. Been told it’s not hormone receptive, still awaiting the HER2 result but have to have chemo before surgery starting around the 10th August. CT and MRI on Monday, oncologist on the 3rd.i just want this out of my body ASAP. Worried that it is triple neg and spread...am I completely f*!ked, will treatment work? Will i die soon? Not having a good day 😔
Pickles18

Thanks folks for all of replies haven't been on this in few days been up and down moments of strength and moments of sheer terror. Still not sure what to tell my kids yet and getting up and going to work hoping this is all a bad dream. The waiting on dates for things to happen is like psychological warfare on the mind and body and I just want it to be done yesterday.
Cristina JG

Hi Nicola and Pickles, and everybody else,

I also have two young boys (9 and almost 7), I am 43 and diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma last week. I admire your strong disposition to fight this off. I am just depressed, scared and crying a lot. Will need to learn lots from you. I have my appointment tomorrow for treatment plan. I posted my story in another thread. It's great to have this platform so that we can all support each other.

All the best,
Cristina

Avibaby

You are SO READY for the fight! Good for you!  

Gill3105
Community Champion

Hi Nrose and pickles and welcome to the forum. Not somewhere we want to be. I have been in this forum the onto the treatment forum then onto the radiotherapy forum and active treatment just completed. You will do it both of you. Yes a good ole roller coaster but all very doable even at the time we don’t think it is. Cherish the good days and tell the not so good days to do one. You will get the stay strong and you will be fine lots of time. Take it as people caring about you and don’t take a negative on their comments. I never thought I would be saying this but having been there I can relate. Try and keep the anxiety gremlins at bay as these just appear out of nowhere. The waiting game is the worse but remember all the labs have there jobs to and it takes time. Take one day at a time and one appointment at a time and try not to jump threads just go there when you need to. Take a look in the surgery threads. I’m in the April one - a lot lol. I was fortunate enough to not needing chemo so a thread I don’t go to other Han support a friend who is in there. You can ask any question you like on here no matter what as there will
Always be someone who can help. We also have a laugh at times and it helps get through this and helps
Move forward if only a few steps. The advice and friends on here have been a fantastic through my journey and I am sure further down the line you will be saying the same. If I can help with anything just ask or send me a pm. I had grade 3 invasive with Wle and no node involvement and all
Done in 99 days. Take care both and take each day as it comes. Xx
Jobey68

A warm welcome ladies to the most unpopular club ever! 

Im sorry you've had the need to join us but I hope you will find us a comfort and support during your treatment and beyond, we do have Many ladies with young family's and have had a few with new borns join us this week alone. BC has no thought for your age or circumstances unfortunately.

its an awful shock in the beginning, I was 46 and it felt like I was far too young. We are at all stages of diagnosis, treatment and beyond here so always an answer to any questions you have. 

Xx Jo 

NRose

Oh pickles, so sorry to hear you are in the same boat 😞 I never thought I would be here. Im here for you also x lets do this
Jill1998
Community Champion

Welcome to the forum Pickles - lots of support and advice here from people who understand .Jill x
Pickles18

Hi I've also just been diagnosed stage 3 with 2 babies 4.and 8 devastated and head all over the place tonight. Never thought I'd be here and worried trying to hold it together and failing miserably today but tomorrows another day and I need to have this I've no other choice! So nicola your not on your own and if u feel the need to off load I'll be here too!
ann-m
Community Champion

Hi Nrose,
...& a warm welcome to the ‘club’ & glad you found us.
It is an horrendous shock getting a diagnosis, we’ve all been there & thankfully, do get through it.
This is often the worst bit when just diagnosed, but once you have a plan & treatment starts, the shock passes & it does settle down.
There are loads of others here with young children, so you’re certainly not alone with this.
When you start treatment, then do go to the ‘going through treatment’ part of the forum, where you can chat & get support from others going through similar.
Sending hugs
ann x
NRose

38 and diagnosed today

Hello all, I am Nicola, 38 Mum of 2 girls (7&9). I’ve just been diagnosed with grade 2 possibly 3 breast cancer, in the nodes as well and awaiting mri and ct scan. I am in shock, I am fit, well I run I go to the gym etc.. what the f????
This is the most horrendous thing I have ever been through, hoping we can get though this together. Now part of a club I never imagined I would be part of, but here I am and I am ready to take on this bastard.