A year ago I found a lump.....

So June 7th I noticed a dent in my right boob. Had a feel around ( I confess checking my boobs was very haphazard) and yes there it was, a bloomin lump.

So in a nutshell, GP referred me to the breast clinic on the 2 week pathway. My appointment on the 16th June involved all the tests and ended up with a nurse telling me I’d probably got breast cancer, stop taking my HRT and results would be confirmed in a couple of weeks. I drove home in tears. 

I was 52, 2 sons - grown up, but still living at home. Lovely partner and fabulous family. This was NOT in the plan. 

So 30th June, it’s confirmed I have breast cancer. Surgeon wants to do a lumpectomy which goes ahead on the 2nd August. My bc is lobular, 35mm, er/or and HER2 positive. Clear margins and no lymph node involvement was good news. 

Chemo began  on 1st October.I had 3 EC and 9 paclitaxel with Herceptin every third week. I’m now half way through my Herceptin and have another 9 to go. 
Chemo then finished on the 9th Feb. I lost ALL my hair. I then had 5 sessions of radiotherapy which ended on the 8th March. I started taking Anastrozole and so far all is ok.

Im now back teaching fulltime. My hair is growing back so fast. I feel well, I get tired and I’m struggling with night sweats and hot flushes but it’s all manageable.

Being diagnosed with cancer is truly devastating but once treatment begins you actually feel like you’re on the right path.

A year on and I cannot believe what I’ve just been through but it’s made me assess my life and it really is so precious.

Massive hugs to all of you recently diagnosed.

Lou  

Hello - I have been diagnosed this week and I’m also a teacher. It’s been a great comfort to read your post and your success story. Thank you so much and best of luck going forward x

I’m at the start of this horrible waiting game, just saying thank you for posting. It’s one of the positive posts that gives me hope. I’m a Nursery Teacher and found this lump just before my 60th HRT for the last two years gave me back my life now looks like I’m going to lose all its benefits But I want to live so I guess it’s the new step I have to take x