Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice gratefully received please!

54 REPLIES 54
Highlighted

Re: Advice gratefully received please!

Hi Helen

sorry you find your self on here & joining us pink warriors. Make a list of Q for your surgeons & nurses & I found writing it all down helps I also had lots of phone appointments due to Covid.

hope whatever you decide goes ahead smoothly & I’m having radiotherapy now every one is in PPE & they take your temperature upon arrival & ask you to wash hands. It’s a rather scary world but you need your treatment so be advised & guided by your nurse.

keep positive good luck 😉 

Highlighted

Hi,

I have been and to with this same decision too, it’s the radiotherapy and hormone treatment that scares me long term. 
But a mastectomy with no reconstruction, for me is a definite no and I think it’s awful that they are putting women in that position because of covid?!? They won’t remove a healthy breast but they will remove a whole breast and not replace it?!? 
let me know what you decide and how you get on xx

Highlighted

Thanks Suki, I have managed to keep it hidden so far, thank goodness as he is having a very angry unsettled day as he can’t properly process what is going on poor love.

I am surprised that I am finding this much more uncomfortable than the mastectomy, I guess it’s the position of the wound and drain. Am propped up in bed with pillows all around me as advised by another lovely lady on this group.

Anyway, will be thinking of you on Thursday, very best wishes xxxx

Highlighted

Hi Helen

Hope you’re managing to rest up after your op. Best advice I had was to keep one step ahead of the pain so take everything you need, you’re not being a wuss at all!

i was told that I couldn’t shower but I think that was because I couldn’t get my dressings wet. I managed with just having a sponge wash until it was removed- that first shower was heaven.

How has your son been with your drain? Has he noticed it at all?

Hope you have a restful, pain free evening xxx

Highlighted

Hi Suki, hope you’re getting on ok. I had op this morn and was discharged at 12.15, even faster than last time! Have to say am in a lot of pain so have now resorted to co-codamol after paracetamol and ibuprofen didn’t seem to make any difference. Usually have a high pain threshold but am obviously turning into a wuss!

I did end up with the drain I was dreading, and wanted to ask you what you did with it in the shower? I was given a handmade floral mini tote bag to carry it in but obv won’t take that in the shower with me. Or do I forego showers for a few days and just use wipes?

Don’t worry if you don’t feel up to replying, I can ring the BCN in the morning.

Thanks, lots of love xx

Highlighted

Hi Suki, big hugs to you, so hard to look initially but it does get easier as all the lovely ladies on here said. My seroma has increased in size (it has been a stressful week and not enough rest, not sure if that is connected) but I guess that will be drained on Tuesday. No overnight beds where I am going so I presume I will be in and out like last time.

Will be thinking of you on Thursday, take care and very best wishes,

Helen xxx

Highlighted

Hi Helen

Had my drain out last Monday and dressings off. Was emotional initially seeing my scar but as the week has gone in feeling much better about it. Got a bit over confident about my lack of pain so stopped taking meds.....big mistake! I really need to listen to the advice of my bcn 🤦‍♀️ Back managing it ok now and feeling Im in control.

Ive got my appointment next Thursday for the results of my node biopsy so I’m back on that waiting treadmill again and anxiety levels are creeping up.

wishing you all the best for Tuesday, will you be in and out in the same day? Let us know how it goes.

Sending lots of love to you and your family xx

Highlighted

Hi Suki, just wondered how you are? I am booked in for my lymph node removal on Tuesday, will be glad to get it over with, the waiting has been difficult for all of us.

Hope you are getting on ok,

Helen xxx

Highlighted

Hi Helen

So sorry that you have to go back in for the full node removal. This journey is just one knock back after another isn’t it. Please try not to worry about the drain. Although annoying it’s very easy to manage. They put mine in a little PE type backpack so no one but you needs to see the actual bottle. Could you convince your son that it’s giving you medicine perhaps? Mine drained what I though was a lot the first couple of days, 100ml, then 90ml and then today was just 40ml. Spoke to the hospital this morning and as long as it’s less than 30ml tomorrow I can go and have it out. Mine was after a mastectomy where I suspect that there’s more to be drained than after your node removal maybe??

ive not seen my actual scar yet as I’ve got dressings on. Can’t really see if there’s any build up, got a wound check on Monday so I’ll know then. Got to admit, I’m not looking forward to seeing the scar.

You weren’t to know you had a seroma so don’t feel bad about missing it. I’m sure like me you’ve read everything that’s come your way but what our bodies are now going through is still very alien to us. 
Well done to you for getting out in the garden. I’ve spent the afternoon watching my 21 year old son do some ironing....so painful to watch bless him! 

Always here to chat if you need to xx

Highlighted

Hi Suki, hope you are feeling a little better today. Bit of a knock back with my results, the sentinel node was positive so I am going back in for full lymph node removal in 2 weeks and then am likely to have chemo after that.

What’s worrying me is the likelihood of having to have a drain after surgery this time, as my youngest son will freak out if he sees it. Is the drain difficult to cope with? I wonder if there is any alternative?

I got the doctor to check the scar and apparently I have a seroma, I did notice I was a bit swollen like a water balloon but hadn’t realised that it was a seroma although I had read about them!

Well I have just spent a few minutes in the garden pulling up weeds - very cathartic!

Thanks as always for the support xxx

Highlighted

Hey Helen

Im not doing too bad thank you. The pain is manageable although I’ll be thankful once I’ve got rid of this drain.
Good luck with you’re results tomorrow, I’ll be thinking of you. Keep us posted and don’t forget we’re here for support whenever you need it. You’re doing amazing especially with the added family pressure you have. 
Much love and support xx

Highlighted

Thanks Seabreeze, you are right, the elbow exercise is definitely the worst for me, but the others are getting easier and I am much more active.

Thanks for tip of wound healing gel, will see if I can order some on Ocado! 

Think I have accepted I will have good days and bad days emotionally, we have a lot of other stuff going on at home with my youngest, battling with the local authority and going to Tribunal over special school placement for him. Having him at home full-time is a huge challenge, even more so now I am recovering from the surgery.

Thank you for all your wise words xxx

Highlighted

Hey Suki, how are you doing? Just had a call to go for results tomorrow morning, eeek, feel so anxious but will be glad to have someone check how I am healing up.

Hopefully your results may be sooner than they said too.

Take care xxx

Highlighted

Hi Curlybear, thanks am managing the exercises ok and cutting down on painkillers a bit, still feel so sore and tender. Have just had a call to go for results tomorrow which is sooner than expected, now feel very anxious. At least I can ask them to check how I am healing.

Definitely feel much more myself, still finding sleeping difficult but think that may be the tamoxifen waking me at 3am, it’s a good thing I am in the spare bed so I can put the light on and read for a bit.

Will let you know how results are, very best wishes xxx

Highlighted

Helen, 

i had dissolvable stitches with the glue and no bandage in anyway even now the glue is still there but looks much better still feeling tender and sore though (2 weeks today since op) I was told doesn’t need anything on there that the glue will just go and by the time it does stitches will have dissolved. I have just had a T-shirt on with nothing underneath for a few days and nothing on wound for my 2nd week and I too had no drain either like you. 

i had the tight body thing on for 3 days so found it hard taking that off first time fear of what was under there. once off I had a couple of soft bandages folded for comfort so I kept them on for a few days under my cami top till I felt ready to take a look and gradually built up the courage to have a look you will look in your own time. You will know when it right for you no rush. I loved my first shower. 
I have had no one check either for me so just checking to make sure looks ok but I have swelling in different places which assume is normal and not taking any pain killers. 
manging to do the exercises ok so would assume if can do those and feeling ok all should be fine. I know what you mean nice to have someone look and tell you all ok xxx

Highlighted

Helen, 

no i didn’t have this. I hope everything went well for you and your back home resting 

how are you doing ? Are your exercises going all ok?
i have been doing daily and feel I’m getting good movement back but still feel sore Atm and have a bit of swelling. I’m still waiting my results so feeing nervous to receive a call giving me the details of the next steps. 
Let me know how your getting along xx

Highlighted

Hi Helen,

Pleased to hear you are gradually picking up post op. I remember when doing the exercise with elbows out either side of my head, that if I was a pigeon I'd be flying in circles! But not for that long!

I had a lumpectomy, very close to the nipple. It was quite a long time ago now....I think my scar started really showing healing during week 2 post op, and then healing of the tissue continued thereafter.

By the time I had radio which was about 4 weeks later it was pretty much fine, just the occasional very rapid little zap sensation of nerves healing (that's what my breast care nurse said it was). I think the swelling gradually dispersed, mainly in the 2 or 3 weeks post surgery, although in the breast tissue I understand there can be a small amount of residual swelling for some time.

My scars continued fading, the one for my lumpectomy can hardly be seen now, and the other scar for my reduction the other side, while visible is a fairly pale colour. Both scars stopped looking raw or angry later on during week 2. I tried really hard to let the scabs stay on as long as possible (sorry for the graphic detail) which I think was a good move, so try to avoid them getting wet. Once they had gently flaked off I used a special Savlon wound healing antiseptic gel (particularly on any patches which looked a bit deep pink post scab flaking off). No idea if it made any difference but the healing worked!

Continue to take it easy and be kind to yourself. When the medical team kept saying "it's such early days" to me post op I didn't really see it at the time.......much later on I finally got what they were trying to say! There's the physical healing and a very gradual acceptance and adjustment to the new you. It is bit of a roller-coaster ride, so one day at a time.

Really good that you didn't need drains.

Seabreeze - with a gentle hug

Highlighted

I was tearful as I came round too and I just remember someone wiping my eyes and making me feel so calm. Don’t know who he was but I’ll never forget his calm voice. 
Keep me posted on your results too and look after yourself xxx

Highlighted

Oh the waiting that morning must have been horrendous, I feel for you, I was in at 7.30am and first on list so think they started my op around 9 ish. I have cried so much already with this but once my husband had left me at the hospital door, I stopped and was quite calm. However, I could feel myself weeping as I woke from the anaesthetic, I think with the realisation that what I had been dreading had finally happened, and the nurses were so understanding and compassionate.

Anyway, feeling a bit stronger each day, let me know when you get your pathology results,

Best, Helen xx

Highlighted

Wow Helen, 5 hours! I had mine done in a private hospital which did have rooms which was good because I was late going down for my op. The wait that morning was the worst and I had never felt so alone and I think I cried more tears in that time than I’ve cried since my diagnosis. Now the op has been done I must admit I feel a little better, just something else to tick off on this journey I suppose.

Have put my softie on today and I agree, psychologically it has given me a bit of a boost 🙂

I’ve been told that pathology might take a little longer at the moment so to expect up to 3 weeks. If anything this whole process has taught me about myself it’s that I don’t have a lot of patience, guess I’ll have to learn quick!

Sending you well wishes for your recovery and beyond xxx

Highlighted

Hi Suki, I had my op last Thursday, I was in and out in 5 hours! I think this was mainly due to Covid, the NHS surgeons are operating at a private hospital with no overnight beds. I don’t have a drain though, and no dressings which I have found very difficult as averting my eyes at all times. Have started wearing my bra with softie in and psychologically feel better looking down at myself.

The breast care nurses have rung twice as I was very tearful on Monday, they have been great as has everyone on here, such warmth and positivity, it has really kept me going.

Waiting for pathology is really tough, I have been told 2 weeks, have they said how long yours might take?

Sending you very best wishes, as you said one day at a time xxx

Highlighted

Hi Helen

Hope you don’t mind me asking but how long ago was your surgery? I had a mastectomy on Monday and came home yesterday feeling sore but better than I’d imagined. I do have dressings on and a drain in so not been able to see the wound yet thankfully as not sure I’m ready. Trying to tell myself to take one day at a time but it’s hard not to focus on the pathology results. 
Hope you have a good day xxx

Highlighted

Thanks for checking on me Seabreeze - I feel better in myself but still so bruised and sore, which I know is to be expected.  I have been doing my exercises and they are starting to get easier.

Do you remember how long your scar took to start to feel better?

Now just waiting for pathology results to determine further treatment.

Thanks again for your kindness xxx

Highlighted

Hi Helen,

How are you doing? It's still very early days so stick to the kind and compassionate to yourself approach, keep up with the exercises and regular protein diet.

X Seabreeze

Highlighted

Thank you so much Seabreeze, I can't tell you what it has meant to have all the support from you all on the forum. I have just had a (sort of) shower, managed to avert my eyes as much as possible. I took your advice of having my husband outside the door for reassurance, thank you.

Have made the decision not to take the codeine during the day as it was making me so dizzy and nauseous, so feel more myself this morning.

Thanks again xxx

Highlighted

Hi - I was supposed to have surgery on the 6th April but am now on tablets instead.  5 weeks today with the tabs, and hoping someone will ring me from the hospital next week.  My surgery may go ahead in June but at the moment I don't know.  I felt a bit relieved for a bit because as you are all aware when you get the news everything then happens so fast, I am not able to talk about it so much more easily and now really want the blasted lumps removing as soon as possible. 

Thanks for all the support on this forum

Highlighted

Hi Helen,

It's your first day post op and you will still be getting over the full on impact of the anaesthetic on your body, let alone anything else.....so tears and those feelings are so understandable. Try to be very kind to yourself, you've been through a lot, and need to rest and be kind and compassionate to yourself.

I had a dressing over my surgery spot, so not sure how to advise. I do remember feeling scared to see the wound, and since I'd been told the dressing didn't need changing for quite a few days I didn't look. What did the nurses say before you were discharged, did they say you should look or wait a couple of days or until Monday? Did they say why they hadn't put a dressing on it? 

A few ideas, you could try posting under the subject heading of anyone had glue and stitches without a dressing, since you may get more responses from others who have, and/or you could try phoning the breast cancer now nurse to ask....or even the someone like me service where breast cancer now can put you InTouch with someone who has gone through a similar type of op/treatment.

Is there anyone within the household you would feel comfortable with looking at it for you? Or, when you do need to look maybe ask someone who can give you a gentle hug to wait outside the bathroom while you have a look? Very important to be aware that there will most likely be bruising which will fade and disappear, swelling - which will also go with time, and the stitches will heal. My scars faded so much, they really aren't very visible at all - again it takes time. So please please before you look, remember that it will not currently be looking how it will once healing has occured. 

One day at a time (or one part of the day at a time),

Rest, be kind and compassionate to yourself.

If there is anything you think I can do to help please post back or message me.

XXX Seabreeze

Highlighted

Hi Suki,

Totally understand the nervousness however it's good you won't hopefully have to wait longer...I had a sense of relief knowing the lump was gone and treatment in hand, even though it meant recovery and some adjustment on a number of levels.

When I had my op they would only allow relatives in, and my partner was the otherside of the world due to a family emergency (which I won't go into, but he had to go). The hospital said they couldn't allow the friend who took me to hospital to stay/wait with me so I know how that can feel. I found one thing really helped calm my racing mind and emotions while waiting for my op in the hospital ward.......

Far be it for me to tell anyone how to suck eggs (if that's the right expression!)....I found visualisation form of mindfulness really helped. Not sure if you have ever tried it, if you would like to give it a go, here's my approach....(there are also a few utube meditation type recordings)

1- Sit upright so your lungs can breathe easily, feet flat on the floor, rest your upper arms (in a relaxed manner) out along your upper legs, palm side up. Lightly touch the tip of your thumb to the finger tip of the finger between your index finger and ring finger (can't think of its name!) 

2-  Close your eyes, and think of a place that really spoke to you heart and soul, one which you can see in your mind and which will work on a kind of replay loop. For me this a location on a sea cliff, on a day of a lovely walk on a fantastic breezy sunny day....I close my eyes and totally focus on imagining the scene, looking out to sea, watching the seedy grass heads bobbing in the wind, the feeling of being a one in such a beautiful place.....I then layer on senses....and imagine hearing the sound of birds spiralling, the sound of the breeze/wind and maybe even some sound of the sea...then add in imagining the feeling of warm sun on your skin....and the gentle breeze on your skin, then try maintaining the visualisation of the scene. Keep it going for as long as you can/want to. You will find you feel calmer. If your mind tries to ping off just try to refocus on seeing and imagining you being in that lovely at one with nature location you have chosen.

It gets easier and better with practice....I always thought I wasn't particularly good at the post yoga relaxation sessions but the above really works for me. I had a long wait for my op and calmed myself by the above, so much so that I was close to dropping off asleep! It really helped calm my blood pressure and stats too. 

Sending hugs, sling open the windows or try to get out, listen to the sounds of birds, wind in the trees, scents of spring....one day at a time.

Seabreeze xxx

Highlighted

Thanks for your message Seabreeze, yes I had the op yesterday, feeling very sore and weepy, can’t bear to look at wound. I have posted a question on the surgery section as I wondered how others coped with this? I am concerned as no one will be checking it, I am getting a phone call from the BCN on Monday but no physical checks. It is just glued and has dissolvable stitches but no dressing of any kind.

Grateful for any suggestions, thanks xx

Highlighted

Hi all

The last 24 hours have been a bit manic. I’m now scheduled to have surgery on Monday at my local Nuffield hospital. I went for my pro op yesterday so it’s looking probable that it’ll happen. 
I’m still feeling incredibly nervous about what’s ahead of me, more so because I can’t have anyone there with me, but I felt very ‘looked after’ yesterday.

Stay safe everyone 

Highlighted

Hi Suki,

Just wanted to second Jill's comments and see how you are getting on.

You (newbies) are all having to deal with so much right now,

X Seabreeze (nearly 6 years on and doing ok)

Highlighted

Hi Tansy,

Pleased to help. Don't sit in silence if you are unsure about any aspects or need any tips, which any of may be able to help with.

Are you on similar timescales to Helen re op or waiting for confirmation?

Thinking of everyone going through this in the topsy turvy world right now.

Seabreeze x

Highlighted

You are welcome Helen,

Just wanted to check in and see how you are doing and whether your op happened today.

Assuming it did, get lots of rest, eat lots of protein, do the exercises (and don't worry if you can't do them fully, you will loosen up, just do them regularly) and one day at a time.

If you are feeling swollen, don't worry, it will go down with time as you heal.

Sending a very very gentle virtual hug

Seabreeze x

Highlighted

Thanks for this explanation as I will have to have one of these too, and did not know what it was.

Highlighted

Dear Seabreeze,

Thank you so much for this clear explanation of the isotope, makes it seem less daunting.  So nice to know I can ask anything.

Best,

Helen xx

Highlighted

Hi Helen,

Really feeling for all of you going through this at the current time. It's enough without the topsy turvy world of covid19. Sending hugs to you all.

Re isotope - it's normal to be referred for an isotope to be injected and tracked the day before a lumpectomy (and I presume before a mastectomy). Mine was at a different hospital too.

An injection is given (either in the location of the cancer or near the nipple - sorry, I can't remember which since my lump was just above/behind the nipple). I did notice a slight sting when the injection was being done, although I think this was since my lump was very hard. They then give it a few min's for the isotope tracker to move towards your sentinel lymph node (under your arm). You will be lying down throughout the process, so wear a top and trousers or skirt.

They then track the isotope and take some scans showing the location of the sentinel lymph nodes. A machine kind of glides over you as they do this. It's fine (it's not confined and relatively quick). I was then given an envelope with a print of the scan to take with me and give to the surgeon the following day. The onc/surgeon uses the scan to guide the removal of sentinel nodes under the arm (so that they can check them). If bc does get into the lymph nodes it goes to the sentinel node first, hence the reason for them doing this. It's standard practice.

Usually they give you the results of the sentinel node biopsy approx 2 weeks after the op, when you usually have a follow up appointment with the onc. I'm writing this from lumpectomy angle - timing may be slightly diff re mastectomy and given covid situation. 

Please keep any questions coming since all of us who have been through this really want to help all of you going through this now.

XXX Seabreeze (nearly 6 years on and doing ok)             

Highlighted

Suki I am so sorry you are going through this too. I know just how you feel as I have been booked in for my operation with so little information or preparation.  However everyone here has been so helpful, it has made all the difference to me and my family who have been reading some of the posts too.

I also wanted to say that you might find the situation re. your surgery changes suddenly, hospital trusts are doing all they can to find ways to continue operating.  In my case I was told it was on hold 2 weeks ago and then last week my hospital made arrangements to use a private day clinic for the surgery, still using the NHS surgeons. (I live in Bucks.) So you might find you get a sudden call offering you a date (which is a shock in itself!).

Wishing you all the best, keep in touch xxx

Highlighted

Curlybear, thank you so much for posting, hearing about your experience has been so reassuring.  I have just heard that I have to attend a different hospital on Wed for an isotope to be injected - did you have this? Wishing you all the best with your recovery xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Talking to other people who understand how it feels really helps ,you don't always feel able to tell people close to you just how scared you feel and they don't always get it when you do or you end up upsetting them ☹️ 

Highlighted

Thanks for reaching out Jill. Reading comments on this forum has been a lifeline for me over the last 3 weeks and helps me realise that I’m not alone. Haven’t really expressed my fears and frustration to anyone close to me, I feel at this time they all have their own worries going on.

Thanks to everyone on this site for their positivity and honesty, it really helps xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Suki , you are not alone in feeling a little bit abandoned amongst all of the chaos .It really is not a good time to have any additional health needs and in particular to have a cancer diagnosis .The first few weeks after diagnosis are very hard and what makes most of us feel better is actually starting active treatment to get rid of the cancer .This is not the usual way to do things but even before the Corona crisis ladies were sometimes prescribed hormone therapy to help shrink tumours so that they could have less radical surgery so your team must be pretty confident that they can keep things well under control until it is safer to have surgery .There are definitely other ladies on the forum who are in the same position so please come and talk to us here to help get through the next few weeks .Jill x

Highlighted

Hi ladies

I recently joined this forum having been diagnosed at the end of March, grate 2, ER positive, HER2 negative. Due to covid my mastectomy has been put on hold until further notice and I’ve been prescribed anastrozole in the interim. My anxiety levels are through the roof at the moment and I hate to say it but I feel a little abandoned by the hospital (I feel so guilty for even thinking that at this difficult time). I feel lost and absolutely terrified as to what the next few months will bring.

:(xx

Highlighted

Helen111,

I have just had my operation mastectomy and auxiliary node removal just last Wednesday and due to covid same situation. I had mine in the afternoon and left the hospital at 7pm the same day I was nervous but was pleased to be back home. I was very worried like you but honestly you will be fine I had a tight binder on which will give you added support and comfort initially as nothing can move around.  you will be tired but the key is plenty of rest and take it easy. It’s only been 4 days and I feel much better in myself and the pain I felt was more than manageable and not as bad as you imagine it will be. Exercises are key I started them the day after surgery and they get much easier. Please don’t worry your in safe hands and I wish you all the best for next week x x 

Highlighted

Hi Helen111,

You are welcome Helen. Sorry to hear the options have reduced re covid. That's tough.

I know you've read other posts about how people felt pre-op and moving forwards afterwards and yes you will get through the op and pick up the other side. Totally understandable that you are feeling low at the moment (sending a big virtual hug through hyperspace) - it is bit of a roller-coaster of emotions on route.

If it is of any help at all, I too felt really anxious pre-op, however the nurses and anaesthetist were lovely, and very reassuring, I clearly remember the words "don't worry, we'll look after you" as I counted down for all of 2 seconds (funny the things you remember), and the surgeon very neat. I wished I had known about the neatness pre-op. I also felt incredibly relieved at knowing the lump had been removed and my body was free of it post-op!

I'm sure they wouldn't discharge you if (due to any unforeseen reason) they really thought you wouldn't be able to manage at home afterwards.

They'll give you a sheet before you leave the hospital with details about how to manage pain (plus they give you some painkillers to take away with you), when dressings etc need changing (I suggest you ask the breast cancer care nurse if you can arrange a follow up appointment with her for this before you leave the hospital - they may automatically do it), how to manage drains if needed, and an exercise sheet (really important to gently start on those as the time specified since they help you get your movement back.

Take clothing that is easy to pull on, such as loose T-shirt bottoms and a cotton T-shirt fabric type button up top if you have one. When you get home really rest, you'll still be feeling tired from the emotion of it all and anaesthetic so just go with it.

Re your child, you say we, so I presume your partner can focus on childcare for a few days?

I was told I healed really quickly and well after all 3 of my op's (lumpectomy then 2 reductions - they didn't remove enough since being cautious). Clearly all number of factors influencing that but one thing I did do was eat some protein at every single meal since it really helps with cell repair. 

I hope it is sunny wherever you are, and that you can get out (or at least sling a window open), feel the sun on your face and a few birds sing etc.

One day at a time, and remember to be kind and compassionate to yourself.

XXX Seabreeze (nearly 6 years on and doing ok)    

Highlighted

Thank you Seabreeze for your support. Unfortunately when I told my consultant that I wanted to opt for a mammoplasty, that choice is no longer available to me as due to the Covid situation they are only able to offer day surgery as no overnight beds. Therefore mastectomy with delayed reconstruction is the only option and I am booked in for this coming Thursday. I feel devastated about this and have had a bad couple of days, feel sick and scared about the op and coming straight home afterwards to a challenging home life as my youngest child is very physical and we are struggling to cope with him already.

I know from reading all the posts that you have all felt similarly and got through it and I will do too, just very low at the moment.

Thank you for being out there and everyone’s advice, sending love to everyone who is undergoing treatment at the moment xxx

Highlighted

Hi Helen111,

Re the mammoplasty - given you are understandably thinking about the coronavirus risk re visits to hospital for radiotherapy, it may be worth asking if the oncologist thinks you may be able to have a shorter course of radio. A few women have posted on the forum that they have been offered radio over (I think) about 5 days, rather than the 20 days I had back in 2014. I think some research has been done showing that in some cases it can be shortened - I presume with a slightly higher daily amount of grey (the units used)? If so that may alleviate some of your concerns if you prefer to have the mammoplasty.

Just to add, I had a lumpectomy, ended up quite lopsided, a couple of years later got the bigger side reduced (which actually took 2 op's with about a year in between since they didn't remove enough the first time) and it is so much more comfortable re weight etc being about the same each side, let alone the rest. The reduction op is far less intrusive than the lump removal so recovery would be quicker on the reduced side if you were able to get both done at the same time. Otherwise ask about doing what I did a bit further down the line. 

I hope the posts here, and your follow up discussions with your medical team, help you reach the right decision for you.

XXX Seabreeze       

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Discuss everything with them, not envy 🙄sorry text gremlins out 😘💕💕Shi xx

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

❤️Helen, for a few weeks after the op, I slept on my back with pillows all round me and on op side rested my arm on top of pillow while sleeping. Get a small squishy cushion (like one of the emoji ones) if the hospital doesn’t give you one, it can help you keep arm off your side post op, again discuss with your bcn ❤️ also discuss creams to use post op on scar, I just used aqueous cream and got no scaring, but ask your bcn. My surgeon also had me wash for a few days prior to op in hibiscrub (you can get from boots if hospital don’t provide) again speak to consultant and bcn if you want too, they are your experts and always discuss envy with them, don’t ever think anything is trivial, they want you to discuss everything with them so they can get you safely through ❤️💕💕Shi xx

Highlighted

No the more information the better thank you!  I think the only option at the moment is day surgery as the hospital have moved their surgery to a private clinic with no overnight beds, which is another factor, I feel frightened at the thought of being sent home the same day from a mastectomy.  I think I will feel the same as you re. having another op for the other breast, not sure I could go through it all again (I know I haven't got the first op out of the way yet!)

Anyway, bless you and Mai for your kind words and I will let you know what I decide after talking to the bcn.

xx

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Helen, your breast will be reshaped like a normal breast, I use cushion stuffing to level me up (not as heavy as the half fillet hospital gave me and you can shape it round better to get even match) if you can only have one side done for now. I have the option to be levelled up, but I’m not ready to emotionally do it yet which is why I said see if you can level up at same time ❤️Mai7 is a very good friend of mine who has had mastectomy and now having recon, so ask away for anything for either mammoplasty or mastectomy and we might be able to answer, but do discuss everything with your consultant and bcn, you always do what’s right for you, it’s your journey ❤️ I had a M&S zip front bra with racer back for after the op, 2 sizes up (you can be a little swollen after op) and found this worked well with the drain that was in for a few days after. Get dressing gown with pockets and a tie bit inside if you are having drain, you can tie the bottle to it and get around easier, also pair of sliders for the hospital, lip balm and hand cream, it gets dry in the hospital ❤️ I was back driving within a month, let everything knit back together, and do your exercises, I didn’t over do the exercises spaces them out during the day and got some sticky dots to go on the door so I could see stretch improvement each day, and you should get full range of movement back well ❤️ Hope I’ve not bombarded you ❤️ Sending 👭💕💕Shi xx