Advice gratefully received please!

Hello all, thank you for all the helpful posts on here, I have found them inspiring and hopeful through some difficult times recently.  I was diagnosed in mid Feb with a 30mm ductal carcinoma Grade 2, HER2 negative, ER positive.  I have had MRI and PET scans as there were concerns over enlarged nodes, however these seem clear which is good.

Due to the covid situation, like many of you I have started on Tamoxifen, been taking them for a week now and not too many side effects so far.  It looks like I may have my surgery in the next 6 weeks but no definite date yet.  What I wanted to ask you brave ladies is re. my choice for surgery - originally the consultant said I could have a therapeutic mammoplasty (I think this like a lumpectomy with breast tissue rearranged, correct me if I am wrong please!). My home situation is complicated by my youngest child having additional needs - he is 7 and very physical, with learning disabilities and behavioural issues. As schools are closed, he is at home all the time which is incredibly challenging. The consultant suggested that if the removed tumour doesn’t have clear margins, I may have to go in again for more tissue to be removed.  Therefore I opted for a mastectomy, although reconstruction won’t be possible at this time.

Now I am having second thoughts and wonder whether I should go back to the mammoplasty and if I have this, I will then need radiotherapy which puts me at risk due to covid.  However it would be a smaller op to have done and recover from, with a very active child bouncing around at home.

Not sure I am making sense here, I guess I wondered if any of you had had to make the choice between the two options and what decisions you made.

Your thoughts would be very gratefully received, sorry for the long post and thanks for reading this far!

Very best wishes, stay safe and well all x

Helen If you would rather have mammoplasty speak to your consultant and discuss further, try and be levelled up the other side at same time if you opt for mammoplasty. I just had one side done and wish I’d been levelled up at same time, but at the time I was just focused on getting it out and nothing else. You might have drains too, have they discussed that with you? Whatever you decide do it for you, :two_hearts: :two_hearts: :sparkles: :sparkles: Shi xx

Hi Helen111,  glad you found our lovely forum. It must be difficult to make a decision if you’re presented with choices.  I had to have a mastectomy and full lymph node removal.  I’d be guided by your surgeon.  If they think there is a good chance of clear margins from a lumpectomy then, as you suggest, it may be an easier recovery (physically and mentally to be honest).  Of course you ultimately have to decide what is right for you and I understand your concern about extra hospital visits during COVID19 for radiotherapy.   Best wishes and I hope all goes well. Xx

Hi,

I have been and to with this same decision too, it’s the radiotherapy and hormone treatment that scares me long term. 
But a mastectomy with no reconstruction, for me is a definite no and I think it’s awful that they are putting women in that position because of covid?!? They won’t remove a healthy breast but they will remove a whole breast and not replace it?!? 
let me know what you decide and how you get on xx

Hi Helen

sorry you find your self on here & joining us pink warriors. Make a list of Q for your surgeons & nurses & I found writing it all down helps I also had lots of phone appointments due to Covid.

hope whatever you decide goes ahead smoothly & I’m having radiotherapy now every one is in PPE & they take your temperature upon arrival & ask you to wash hands. It’s a rather scary world but you need your treatment so be advised & guided by your nurse.

keep positive good luck