1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anxiety/de-stressing/calming advice!

7 REPLIES 7
Liswa

Re: Anxiety/de-stressing/calming advice!

Thank you so much Eglis, will definitely look into these!

Would be so great to try something different. I normally walk all the time as I don't drive but have a feeling I may struggle to do what I normally do during chemo so anything at home sounds good for a change.

Hope you're well x

Eglis

Hello Lisa

Something else just came to mind.... 

Rik Bhullar walking workouts.  Also on you tube.  He’s great ..... a great distraction and he’s entertaining as he’s just really enjoying himself.  Disco Funk is food and I really liked Uplifting walking workout.

If I’ve felt down in the dumps or woken in morning feeling not so good, I’ve done one Of his workouts and it’s helped to distract me and make me feel better

Eglis

Hello Lisa

I just had radiotherapy after my operations so can’t advise on yoga and chemotherapy.

I have however done yoga all the time since initial unpleasant surprise of my diagnosis  but just adjusted the exercises, for example, couldn’t hold weight on my arms at beginning so kept knees on floor or did different exercises.  The breathing exercises, although funny, are really helpful.

Look on you tube - Adrienne yoga - yoga for beginners, Stress melt, yoga for anxiety and stress, yoga for anxiety, gentle yoga.  She also does 30 day challenges.....Breath was a good one.  I got some friends to do it too and we had a little what’s app chat group about it.  The most important thing is to listen to your body and not overdo it.  I found the yoga (and still do) very calming and it often rejuvenates me when I ‘m feeling tired.  Happy to join you in a challenge or do same session some time if you feel like some remote virtual encouragement.

All the best

Liswa

Hey Bookish

What great advice thank you! I live the idea of podcasts! I'm not doing too badly with falling to sleep atm but feel that day will come 😕

Thank you for the app advice too, will download them now 🙂

Take care x

bookish

Hey Liswa

If anything was ever designed to cause stress and anxiety, it's got to be cancer and treatment, and oh the waiting! o.O

By all means give meditation a go, but from my experience it might be really *unhelpful* - being alone with your thoughts might not work for you. If you do fancy it, maybe try guided meditations as something a little more distracting. I love the free app, Insight Timer - loads of meditations on that. I used to use the Calm app, too.

I think the distraction thing is great. Now is such a good time to be good to yourself, so anything you find fun - trashy TV, or silly games, or anything, and guilt free! Or you might like to try something creative - art therapy is a real thing, and getting into the 'flow state' can be amazing for getting you out of stress.

For when you're a bit too tired for much else, podcasts might help. There are ones on every topic under the sun, including meditation. I really love one called 'Nothing Much Happens', which are really gentle, meandering bedtime stories. Really helped me in my main trouble point, which was lying down to sleep at night and my mind just buzzing furiously - this gave me something else to focus on, while not keeping me awake. You could find something that does similar for the mornings.

Wishing you all the very best!

Liswa

Hi Eglis

Thank you so much for your response! I was thinking about yoga but wasn't sure about being able to do it during chemotherapy.

Any suggestions you have would be most welcome pls!

Thank you again x

Eglis

Hello Lisa

sorry to hear that ..... and I remember clearly how difficult that period was.

My saviour was yoga and I am still hooked ..... it’s really helped to put my feet back on the ground and control my spinning head.  It’s really helped with that nervous feeling.

Adriene has several 30 day challenges or individual sessions - I’m pretty sure there’s one for anxiety.  All on you tube.  The breathing exercises are odd but I’ve found them really helpful.  You don’t have to be able to do it all but just focus on the moment.  Happy to suggest a couple if you’d like.

Otherwise walking outside somewhere calm and quiet.  Cooking something nice you’ve never made before.

waiting is hard so find anything that can give you a little distraction.

Playing solitare on my phone with my feet up also distracts me!  Not forgetting an easy trashy film/series on Netflix.

Wishing you all the best!

Liswa

Anxiety/de-stressing/calming advice!

Hi all

Having recently been diagnosed and awaiting test results/oncology appointment, am finding the waiting and points when it all hits me quite stressful.

Does anyone have any advice on how to calm down such as meditation/ mindfulness apps or other techniques? I find distraction is usually key but sometimes it's all consuming particularly in a morning when I remember it all again.

Thank you! Hope you're all well.

Lisa x