Awaiting CT scan following diagnosis

Hi,

Grade 3 BC diagnosis for me last week , have a CT scan on Thursday but no mention of an MRI as yet. The waiting around is the hardest bit, had the diagnosis after a few weeks waiting for breast clinic, another week to see Dr. Now have to deal with the fact it could now be elsewhere in the body ?. Meanwhile another two weeks slip by , I feel in limbo land , not wanting to worry those around me and putting on a brave face but sick of not knowing the full picture but fearing I might not want to know it when the time comes… The reality of it all is sinking in this week ?

Hi Karen, I’m sorry you’ve had to join us but welcome all the same ? 

There is so much waiting around in the early days of diagnosis and I think most of us feel this is the worst part of it all, not knowing the full story sends our brains in to over drive and fear of spread is natural but in reality the majority of us don’t have any. 

Not everybody has scans so you may not be given an MRI, it’s not standard to have them all. A CT seems to be more common with Grade 3 BC but the majority of women report back that they were clear of any spread, they also do them to determine the size of the tumour if it is unclear and some cancers like lobular don’t show well on a mammogram so extra scans are done.

It’s tough trying to be strong for everyone and you need to let your emotions out which is what we are here to help you with, you will learn along the way that there is no easy answer to all the waiting for results but keeping busy and not over thinking certainly helps, one step at a time and dealing with the facts seems to be the key, speculating about what may happen is so draining and most of this isn’t quite how you will be imagining once you actually get there! 

Xx Jo 

Thank you Jo,

I feel much better today kept myself busy at work with hardly a second thought of what’s going on. I think you are right it’s the over thinking stuff which drags you down. The Dr was very upbeat and more or less said nine months of not such a nice time of it and I should be fine.
I hadn’t considered it being anywhere else so I was just a bit shocked at the thought of it. Positive thoughts and vibes only from now on ! ?

Hope you all had a wonderful day in the sunshine :sunny:

Best wishes

Karen
X

Hi Ladies,

Thank you for your lovely replies.

CT scan tomorrow so a step nearer to things moving on. I have been back to my positive self and decided it will all be ok.

Focusing on work and keeping busy.I am also interested in this cannabis oil theory somebody has mentioned and will maybe give it a go, any thoughts ?

Jackie I am relieved it isn’t just me who is a little in shock and hope you are coping ok.

Will let you know how the scan goes, had them before so not too worried about the process itself.

Best wishes

Karen

Hi, I was diagnosed with grade 3 bc yesterday…I am still waiting for lymph node results but I feel much calmer now it has been confirmed with the words ‘treatable and common’ being used. The Macmillan nurse called me today and next Tuesday I have a CT scan and then another biopsy on the 6th June and an appointment to discuss my treatment plan on the 14th June…so I know I have some more anxiety in store over the next few weeks but today my head is in a better place than it has been for the past two weeks…I say that and some one says something nice or I think about my kids and I just start blubbering again lol. What has helped me this week leading up to my first results was meditation…not that I have done it before and not sure if What I did was meditatating but I took myself to a buddist temple on Wednesday and joined in with their meditation and my mind did actually feel peaceful…I think at one point I feel asleep sitting up but the people were so lovely and welcoming. I would recommend giving this a go if anxiety gets to you like it does me. Hope your scan went well Karen and good luck to all you brave ladies and big hugs. Xx

Hi Klairee, welcome to the forum .Glad you have found something that helps with the anxiety .The first few weeks really are very hard as you really don’t know what you are dealing with and what happens next .Moments of calm followed by mini meltdowns are par for the course .Lots of support and advice here from people who understand .Best wishes .Jill x

Hi ladies,

I had my scan on Thursday which was quick and although I had a canula put in for the dye it really wasn’t a problem. Strange sensation when the dye goes through but not unpleasant.
Yesterday I had an appointment with the coeliac clinic which I attend once a year and the CT report was on my record so I was able to read it with the help of the nurse. Although I still need confirmation next week it read no evidence of any other issues, few tiny no descript nodules in lungs but nothing for follow up ! I am so relieved and now think this cancers days are numbered not mine ?.
Expecting surgery to follow week after next as surgeon had planned then chemo whenever they think is the right time.
These weeks are a whirlwind of ups and downs along with crazy thoughts but I now feel clear and ready for the upcoming treatment to get well again.

Hope the sunshine this bank holiday weekend can bring welcome distractions and relaxation to you all.

Best wishes

Karen
X

Hi Klairee,

I know just how you feel right now as had the same diagnosis only a week ago, although I had been told at the breast clinic they knew what it was and to prepare myself for the news the following week.

The waiting for the CT was the worst time for me, I have not looked on line apart from looking up things I can do to help during treatment such as diet and exercise. I don’t want to convince myself of anything negative so decided to avoid it as advised.
The Drs initial upbeat attitude was right for me too and this is doable, tough months ahead but we will come through this
stronger and no doubt wiser people ?

Take care

Karen
X

Thank you Helena , we are indeed having a lovely weekend with all the family in the sunshine glamping at West Wittering.

Helena,

Very lucky to live just half an hour away and spend many summer weekends there, wonderful part of the country.

Best wishes

Karen

small world…Been in Chichester staying with my family for the weekend…we love west wittering. Heading home today but right now sitting on Bognor beach enjoying the sunshine while the kids play in the sea…perfect medicine?

It is indeed , children and grandchildren have left now so peaceful day in the sunshine for us ?. Chichester is lovely and the only downside to the witterings is getting in and out when the weather is good. Hope you have had a fab weekend and are keeping yours spirits up. Xx

Hi ladies,

I have been wondering about how long after surgery I will start chemo and if I should get my hair cut short in the run up to that?

Hope you are all still enjoying the sunshine ?

Best wishes

Karen

It really is a lovely place with the cathedral and some nice shops of course ?