Bras post lumpectomy

Hi. I am newly diagnosed with breast cancer. I had a lumpectomy about 3 weeks ago and have to go in next week for more tissue to be taken out. I am really struggling with bras. All my old ones just feel really uncomfortable. I am still waiting to see what my treatment will involve but know I will need a nice soft bra and soft but supportive bra. The problem is I am a 34 GG/H and I can only find suitable bras up to a G cup. All the pullover crop top type ones to sleep in just aren’t big enough for my cup size. I’ve looked in town where I live and online. Any one have any help or advice please? Thank you. 

Somebody on another thread recommended this site for bras.  I bookmarked it for later, after I have had mine.  I have a similar size problem, except that it’s 42G instead of 34.
macom-medical.com/post-surgery/bras

dizzcat

Have you tried M&S I know they do H cup soft non wired bras?

I have brought some post surgery bras from Asda website in perpetration for my op x no bones very soft and front fastening not sure if they would be any good for you but was 2 for £15 can’t say how they are post surgery yet as my op not until Tuesday x

Hi dizzcat. Ugh- this is one of the most annoying things isnt it?!!

I’m 30H and I looked everywhere. I can’t believe bravissimo don’t have any front fastening / post surgery bras either?!!

If I could buy again I would but a MACOM. These are bought by band size. The cup size stretches to fit.

I ended up having to buy 34G from M&S as I ran out of time as left my search too late (didn’t relied it would be like searching for a needle in a hay stack!)  These are just irritating me no end!

The best of the bras i  bought is a sports top style, this holds them nice and still, but for some reason the band is borderline too tight (so something wrong there) and although cup looks ok, i can tell its too small as its borrowing from the straps and hurting my shoulders.

The other is too big in the band, moving all over the place,and again borrowing from the straps and hurting shoulders.

If I need any more surgery I’m investing in a couple of Macom!!!

Also you will want at least two, one on,one in wash. I’m washing mine every day/every other day, as I’m paranoid about being stinky because you can’t fully wash your armpit due to the dressings and I was told to avoid deodorant too!!! ?

Dizcat, have you tried a nursing bra? I’m a G cup and found crop tops didn’t do that size . My M&S lady sorted me out with nursing bras as they open at the front. I only bought 2. Once I got some movement back I bought Asda soft  pull on ones for 1/4 of the price. Not too bad a fit and with removable inserts, so a bit of protection over my scar. I was able to sleep in the Asda ones no prob. Nice scoop neck so nurses able to get in to check boob without removing bra. Another plus is that there are no metal fastenings so when I went for X Ray’s and scans I didn’t have to remove them. 

Just to say wearing my Asda one now and actually really comfortable xxx

Should have said I am 42dd and got the extra large x

Thank you everyone for your replies. I’m really useless at tech stuff, especially as my brain seems to be mush at the moment so I’ve only just managed to find my thread! It does seem to be an issue for ladies with bigger breasts, that we seem to not really be caterered for. I have spoken to Macom and they suggested the Signature bra as it moulds to fit. As it’s by band size they did suggest ordering my usual band size and the next one up which will give me better cup coverage. I’ll let you know how I get on. I have some from M&S but have had to go up a band size to fit the cup size which is too big really before I’ve even started to wear them, but the post surgery Ines are lovely and soft. I’ve just got a pack of 2 Slimma tops from Simply Be and had to go for a size 20/22. They’ve got just enough coverage for cup size and will need to take up the straps and take them in a bit, but they’ll work to sleep in! I hope this helps any other ladies and thank you all for your help ?

I have just had a lumpectomy on Wednesday. I bought a non-wired bra and had sports bras thinking they would do the job. They did not. I was very uncomfortable and the bras made the pain worse. I was rooting around in my wardrobe for anything at all that would do and came across an old swimming costume! It was a size 18 from before I lost my weight to a size 12 and it only had a form of a lining like a crop top inside it. Just put it on and oh joy! So far it is wonderful in comparison. Lightly supportive but no tight straps across the shoulder and back. I now feel that I might get some decent sleep. It’s also easy to put on as you do so from the bottom up! I assume there are a lot of swimming costumes like this that might be good, at least for sleeping anyway.

Hello all, new to the breast cancer group. Going for lumpectomy next Friday. Have read all sorts about bras after the op, good support, sports, soft, I still have no clue. I have all of them ready to go but I presume a soft bra would be the best as the op site will be sore. Has anyone any advice?

Breast Cancer Care nurse recommended M&S Post Op bras, and I found the non wired ‘padded type’ that she suggested very comfortable after WLE and node clearance in May, and am still wearing them now - only bought 2, a black one and a beige one for respective tops I might be wearing, and with this weather, easy to rinse and dry quickly.  I feel I am getting value for money out of them  -  although I would say that it took a lot of trying on to find the right size, so no other shopping and some time to spend in M&S changing room!! - didn’t ask for assistance, just went with what was turning out to be the most comfy, which has been a 34D, lol, a size I have never worn in my life before, but these bras continue to give comfy support through current R/T.  All the best.