Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breast cancer and depression

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Community Champion

Re: Breast cancer and depression

Amy, hobbies that can get you to focus are a good form of mindfulness.  Keeps you in the moment.  I’m doing much better since I had my first reconstruction and I’m 2 years NED.  It takes time and I’m a really good example of someone that didn’t bounce back quickly.  Physically I did but mentally I struggled.  Just keep taking small steps.  That’s all you have to do. X

Highlighted

Hi

Good to be in touch - no my hand is lymphodemea (I think but need the proper diagnosis) so swelling and pain - side effect to having lymph removal - will always have to be careful with that arm now - no injections, blood pressure etc in the left arm and watch for cuts, bruises etc. - I have full movement but it makes me miserable!

I totally get how you feel about the op but I didn't wake up during it and it was a very odd feeling too when I did and they spoke to me as it was like those couple of hours had just disappeared - I did also let the staff know I was anxious beforehand so I would recommend doing that too.  It's routine to them but not for us.

I was fortunate only having the lumpectomy but am awaiting genetic testing results so may face more surgery but trying to not think about that yet.

Yep get on Netflix (I resisted for a long time) - mine wasn't chocolate but ice cream - always some in the freezer.

xxx

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Amy, ❤️ Another thing I did before op way say bye to my boob as I knew it, gave me some closure if that make sense then when bandages came off and when I was ready said hello to my new body. I’m still not levelled up but that’s my choice at the minute, I might change my mind, I don’t know but you will look back and think wow I got through that ❤️ Step by step Amy ❤️💕💕Shi xx

Highlighted

Hi mai7. Covid has made this awful journey for anyone 10x more difficult. I would love to go out more but im constantly on edge about people getting too close to me. And i do the brave face too, people say im coping well but deep down im terrified. I worry about how i will feel mentally after a mastectomy too. Its a big change. I do wonder if the chemo is making me feel more depressed, but i need to get into the habit of taking my antidepressants. Im sorry to hear about your experience. How are you now? I might take up a hobby at home, so i have distractions. Thanks for your reply

Highlighted

Hi loujp. Thanks for replying. Is it cancer with your hand? I hope they can sort it soon for you. Physically im feeling ok but mentally im all over the place! Some days i just get on with it but others, it all hits me and i still can't believe its happening sometimes. Im such a wimp when it comes to the op! I think about things like waking up during it or not coming round. And then theres after. I really want my breast/s gone because of whats in them but i get upset at the thought of losing them too. It is lovely being able to talk to others on here, i feel like we all understand each other. Ive spoken to a lady from 'someone like me' too and thats good to have. And a good series and chocolate will defenitly help too lol. I hope you're doing ok 

Highlighted

Hi shi. How are you? You always have good advice to give! I was put in touch with 'someone like me' the other day and it was nice and helpful. Ive got to get into a routine with my antidepressants, i know they would help relax me. I try not to think to much about the op, but its hard not to sometimes! Thanks for your reply

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Amy1988, Sorry you’re feeling low.  Your emotions are completely understandable and normal given what you are going through.  The cancer journey is scary and you’re going through it during COVID.  I had a terrible time with depression after my diagnosis in 2017.  I had 8 rounds of chemo.  The Docetaxol made me feel very low at times and so did the mastectomy.   I think we put on brave faces for ourselves and those around us but being strong gets tough at times.  My escape is getting out for a walk in nature.  I always feel good when I’m out walking.  If you can find something which helps you to escape the thoughts a bit then you can focus on getting through the physical stuff.  As Shi suggested, perhaps consider calling Breast Cancer Now for a chat.  Let us know how you’re getting on. Sending hugs. Xx

Highlighted

Hi Amy

My heart goes out to you - I started my journey in January and most of it was through covid and last Friday after chemo, surgery (lumpectomy and full lymph removal) I finished radiotherapy.

I totally get how you are feeling - I don't generally suffer with depression but a cancer diagnosis and all the related treatments play with your body and your mind for sure.

You have done right joining this forum, I started to really use it after surgery and log on now most days just to see what the latest is and respond as and when I hope I can add value or start a new thread if like you I need support.

I've reached out to both the Breast Cancer service and Someone Like Me and would recommend both.

I'd never had surgery before and was somewhat terrified (even getting them to confirm when I was in theatre I definitely wouldn't wake up during the process which of course I didnt) but I was well looked after, came out with a drain and was then looked after by some lovely district nurses.

I'm waiting for my own team to call me as now have lymphodema in my hand which is getting me down but am hoping once I get the referral sorted, we can start to help that.  Post treatments finishing am feeling very emotional - like a comfort blanket has been taken away but that's all normal too apparently.

I've had a number of friends who have been through breast cancer but until I embarked on my own journey, had no idea how they really felt but now I do, don't stop talking to your family or anyone else and us on here.

Oh and my latest recommendation is a real cheesy series on Netflix with some eye candy - solves nothing but pure escapism from any reality for a while.

Much love

xx

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Amy ❤️ Chemo can impact on mood Amy, please phone the number on here and use the ask the nurse or someone like me option. Step by step a day at a time you will get through. For op get short sleeve button front pyjamas, dressing gown with big pockets and a tie bit on the inside (for the drains if you are having them) pair of flip flops for in hospital hand cream, lip balm, anosol (operation meds can bung you up) for me I had op first and it was doddle compared to chemo, rest up properly after op, do you exercises and take it steady no heavy lifting hoovering or anything like that, you allow your body to knit back together❤️ Do discuss with your team too because they could give you something to calm you if needed before op ❤️ Hope this helps a bit 💕💕Shi xx

Highlighted

Breast cancer and depression

Hi. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in june. Im currently on my 2nd round of chemo and the side effects haven't been too bad. Ive just been feeling really low lately. Ive got anxiety and depression anyway and ive got antidepressants (which i struggle to remember to take) but sometimes i struggle to cope with all this. Im seeing my consultant 22nd sept for a check up, i really hope the chemo is working. Then, if that works it will be surgery. Im terrified about it, ive never had an operation before and i think about if something went wrong. I just wanted to speak to others, i talk to my family but, of course, they don't really understand. Sorry for the long and depressing post! Its just one of those days