cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breast cancer and progesterone pill

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

Re: Breast cancer and progesterone pill

I had breast cancer last year caused by too much oestrogen! Before this happened, I had been on the progesterone only pill for about 10 years and I felt great as I’ve always felt that I lacked the progesterone hormone. This year I’ve had a hysterectomy as my hormones were still coming through with the tamoxifen and zolidex. I had a full hysterectomy and cannot go on HRT because I cannot have any oestrogen in my body. My anxiety has gone through the roof ! I would really like to know if I can have a progesterone hormone in my body as I’m sure that benefits people after menopause? Is there a progesterone only tablet I can take to settle my symptoms down ?
Highlighted

Hi Chaffinch,

Thanks So much for replying.  I was wondering if that would apply to the progesterone coil too. These are all things that make coping with the initial BC diagnosis even more of a bummer. I have so enjoyed the freedom the pill has given me and it has been such a relief not to suffer every month. I can’t believe at the tender age of 52 I now have to think about contraception too! My GP always said I could stay on it till menopause so I was hoping to sail through.....alas, that ship has sailed, dammit!

Good luck with your treatment Chaffinch. Hang in there! Xxxxxx

Highlighted

Can’t comment on the pill but I was strongly advised to have my Mirena coil removed when I had surgery. That too is progesterone only. As far as I understand it, if your cancer is hormone receptive it’s likely to be receptive to both oestrogen and progesterone. Fortunately for me I’ve had no problems since having it removed in mid August, I’m borderline menopausal according to blood tests but my chemo will shut everything down I was told. I had the Mirena for heavy periods after my youngest was born and I had them for 18 years in all. Hopefully the withdrawal won’t be as bad as you fear if you are heading towards menopause anyway,
Best wishes for your treatment ladies xx
Highlighted

You too A.K. With you all the way! Perhaps life after progesterone will be better than we think, lol. If not, we can console each other through the madness haha. 

xxx

Highlighted

I hear you! I will definitely stay in touch and let you know. I find myself thinking 'who'd be a woman?' quite often when I reflect back on years of menstrual chaos and reproductive nonsense, but then again, I look at my now grown-up kids and think, 'okay, I see the benefits'! It sucks and I really hope you can find a way through. Hang in there, Caro. x

Highlighted

Hate to give you something else to worry about, but when they know you are on it, it is a distinct possibility they will tell you to come off it, alas. The concern they have is that the artificial hormones in the pill can give fuel to hormone positive cancers. They seem to be very clued up about the role of the combined pill but there simply isn’t the research there with regard to the progesterone only ones.

It would seem as a precaution they advise you to come off both. They recommend only non hormonal contraception such as the copper IUCD (but they tell me that this can cause heavier periods). Really hard to get a definitive answer from them re risks because they can’t really predict them. 

Such a bummer to have to think about contraception and periods again on top of everything else.

I understand HRT is also discouraged for us although my Breast care nurse did say that they put some ladies back on a lower dose of it if their symptoms are unmanageable.

Xx

Highlighted

I take the progesterone pill for contraception (i'm 49, 50 next month) and my BC is progesterone + oestrogen + and HER2 + but I've not been told I need to stop it (yet!!). However, I've not seen the oncologist yet concerning chemo so they may advise me about it then? xx

Highlighted

Thanks so much for posting! Surgeon agreed that I can stay on it till after Radiotherapy because in his words, “you have a lot going on” so I am using up the last couple of packets but can’t lie, I am dreading coming off it. 

I would dearly love to know how you get on. The Breast cancer is rubbish on its own but the fear of being launched back into bad periods and menopause is making everything worse. It’s that quality of life thing. 

Perhaps we we will both flourish, artificial hormone free but it is that uncertainty on top of this dodgy club membership that makes me feel really out of control with what is going on. Good luck. Please stay in touch! 

Highlighted

Hello Caro, I am in a similar position. When I received my diagnosis, I was told that my cancer was both oestrogen and progesterone positive, so I needed to ditch the progesterone only pill that has kept me functioning for a long time (I am 48). I had no problem doing that in theory, but I am awaiting the impact of the decision (it has only been a week) in practice. My doctor did say that I should talk to them about any symptoms I develop such as heavy bleeding etc. I don't think I will be returning to the pill, but I know that may mean some rough times ahead (in addition to the whole managing BC business). 

I hope you can find a way through and that we can both manage to meet the progesterone-free phase with fortitude. x

Highlighted

Breast cancer and progesterone pill

Hi there,

Diagnosed with intermediate DCIS in July. 2 x WLEs later, about to start radiotherapy. They don't test for hormone receptors with DCIS in my hospital so I dont know whether I am oestrogen and/or progesterone hormone receptor positive or not.

Have been told that I have to come off progesterone only pill by Surgeon and Oncologist.

Have been on this since my twenties due to terrible periods. I am now 52 and not memopausal yet according to recent blood tests (though I know the pill can mask this). No symptoms though.

My own research says that combined pill is defo a big no no, but the jury seems to be out on progesterone only ones. There doesn't seem to be much research out there re progesterone only contraception. I don't want to take any silly risks in encouraging this thing to come back but at the same time I am terribly anxious that quality of life gonna be affected by return of bad periods. Oncologist and surgeon both says "it is a risk" being on the pill but they cannot give me any stats or info as to what this risk is.  They says there is very little research done re progesterone only pills. They are more clear about the risks of the combined pill because of the oestrogen content.

Anybody out there stayed on progesterone only pill?

Anyone out there had to come off after such a long time like me? How did it go?

Anyone out there go back onto it after diagnosis?

Huge thanks in advance to anyone replying.