Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breast cancer for 2nd time

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted

Re: Breast cancer for 2nd time

Hello Pippi1969,

I just read your story and just wanted to say that I hope you have the most lovely family holiday ☀ 😎

Best wishes to you for your future surgery and treatment X 🐥
Highlighted
Community Champion

That's great - enjoy your holiday .
Highlighted

I have asked my BCN if it was save to wait and she said that it was
Highlighted
Community Champion

You may well find it's not scheduled til after your holiday anyway - but if not you should def ask if they feel it is ok to delay for a week or so .

Highlighted

Ps I forgot to say I don't have a a date for surgery yet x
Highlighted
Community Champion

I don't think they would be happy with you flying for a little while after the op but they may well be ok with you having the op after you holiday - it's certainly worth asking.
Highlighted

Thank you for your kind reply, I found my lump on the 9th June but my hols are on the 20th Aug til 27th Aug so hopefully that is still ok to go. Not sure how others have been advised about that
Highlighted

Well one of the doctors said that if I had a mastectomy just before the holiday I would be at a high risk of developing blood clots/ DVT/PE that's all. Thats why I'm hoping I can go on my hols and have the surgery after I return
Highlighted
Community Champion

There are lots of ladies on the forum who have taken a planned holiday before surgery - the surgeons are normally pretty understanding ,unless there is an urgent reason to start treatment immediately they normally say it will do you good as you have a tough few months ahead .Is there any particular reason why you are concerned about blood clots ?
Highlighted

Hi Jill my scans are next thursday 9th aug and seeing cons on Fri 10th aug. but my hols are from 20th Aug to 27th aug so I am hoping she will say its ok to go as I really looked forward to go as the whole family is going
Renate xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hello Renate ,welcome to the forum- sorry you are having to go through this again - seems so unfair doesn't it ? Do you have a date for your op ? Are you not able to take your holiday beforehand ? The first few weeks after diagnosis are so tough but it does get easier.I have suffered from severe anxiety myself and its horrible - if you can possibly take the holiday it will do you good and provide a much needed distraction . All
the best .Jillx
Highlighted

Hi and good morning. I have had my first breast cancer on the left side 7 years ago, had a lumpectomy, sentinel node biopsies and cavity shavings the nodes and cavity shavings came back all clear. I the had chemo and radiotherepy after. I was fine from then on for 7 years. i now have found a new lump in my right breast and its a new cancer. I was told i would need a mastectomy which is quite drastic but has to be done. emotionally I feel scaresd and depressed.

I was due to go on a family holiday on 20th Aug 2018 but may not be able to go due to causing possible blood clots when flying?? but will speak to my surgeon and see what she says. has anybody else been in this situation when they were due a holiday ?

I am on propanalol and some diazepam to help with my depression and anxiety as a feel very depressed and anxious at the moment.

Ant support would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Renate

Highlighted

You are right there Jillxx

we are all on the same train ladies, so do let us know how things go

moijanxx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Life certainly can be a right total pain in the **** sometimes .I was diagnosed with a second cancer ( not breast ) within 20 months of the breast cancer .Doing it a second time is exhausting but at least you already have a head start in terms of what to expect - 😳
Highlighted

Hi Fuffs123. i am sorry to hear your story but u sound rather positive about it all. i have bn referred for genetic investigation but consultant seems to think im just unlucky! i always had in my head that this could reoccur but really didnt expect it to b so soon & to b on the other side! life definetly is a pain in the ass !! x
Highlighted

Sorry, when I said this year I meant 2017! Clearly I’m not quite in 2018 yet, lol.
Highlighted

Hi Vicqui

I had a recurrence in the same breast in July this year, after having three lumpectomies and 25 sessions of rads in 2015. It was diagnosed as Paget’s disease, which is a cancerous condition of the nipple. I’d have thought that the rads and the meds I was put on, the original tumour was highly ER+, would have prevented a recurrence but not so. Sometimes it’s just bad luck and no obvious reason. I was BRCA tested, as I do have a family history, but negative fortunately. Never had any node involvement either so the recurrence was surprising. Have a check up in March but as far as I’m aware all is OK. I was borderline for chemo originally and I decided not to have it, due to my age and other health issues. My onc was in agreement. Life can just be a pain in the arse sometimes can’t it!

Highlighted

thank you Jill. I will definetly take a look in those sections xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Vicqui ,welcome to the forum .There is a section about re-occurrences so it may be worth posting there too ,you could also ask about this in the Ask the Nurses section .There are quite a few ladies in the forum who have re-occurrences quite quickly but who are doing well years later .Good luck with your treatment .Jill xx
Highlighted

Breast cancer for 2nd time

I have just had surgery on my right breast to remove lump & lymph nodes. awaiting results now but feeling pretty puzzled as 12 months ago i had exact same on left breast! no family history so why twice in 12 montbs ??