Breast cancer worries

Hi. A few months ago i felt a lump in my breast. Admittedly i buried my head in the sand and was hoping it was ok or go. But a few weeks ago the same breast became swollen, felt hard, stinging and a dent at the bottom. I knew that i couldn’t avoid the drs any longer. They sent me straight to the breast clinic. The consultant examined me and asked about all my symptons then i was sent for an ultrasound. The real shock is that there is a big lump in my breast, 1 near my armpit and a few small 1s too. The consultant has told me he is 100% its cancer. Im terrified that im dying, but he said that even if its spread that he can still treat me. I regret leaving it for so long. And today ive been getting more intense pain in my breast so im thinking the worst! Sorry for the long post. I want to talk to others who maybe unsterstand what im going through

Hi Amy

I’m so very sorry you’re in this position. It is terrifying until you gain a different perspective, perhaps with experience, perhaps by working on your thought patterns. It isn’t the end of the world and the recovery rate for breast cancer has improved in leaps and bounds. It’s not the death sentence we once believed and there are many of us here to prove that.

I too had a lump spreading to my armpit as well as a second one and ended up having all my lymph nodes removed because so many of them were infected. But they’d done their job and there was no evidence of spread. It does require a whole load of treatments which sound awful and, to be honest, aren’t much fun - but it’s worth it. 18 months down the line, I am cancer-free and in good health, apart from some pesky side effects.

Pain isn’t usually a symptom of breast cancer so don’t panic because of your soreness. You have been poked and prodded in what is a very tender area so the soreness may be a reaction to that. It’s also well-nigh impossible not to keep probing yourself, wishing it all away. There is no point in crying over spilt milk - you might have gone a couple of months earlier but it won’t have made the difference between life and death - if your consultant says he can treat you, trust him. One thing I would advise is to keep away from Google completely. Look up nothing. It is impersonal, often outdated and can never relate to your specific circumstances. If you have questions, ask your breast care nurse, ring the nurses at the number above or ask in the forum, though we can only speak from personal experience - we aren’t the experts. We are emotionally literate though, which is more than you can say for Dr Google. Regard him as the enemy as regards breast cancer, please.

It’s a long haul ahead and you need to find space for working on your emotional health. Fortunately lockdown is lifting so, looking ahead, you may not have to face all this alone. Establish a support network of trusted friends to drive you to appointments, hold your hand and listen to your woes. I was surprised at how many offers of practical support I got without asking, not always from the people you expect. Accept every offer! Also, make time to meditate, relax, exercise - whatever makes you feel good for a moment. I found some great hypnosis videos on YouTube which I used daily and still turn to 18 months on when I feel low.

I wish you all the best.

Jan x

Hi Amy, you’ve come to the right place for support. Everyone here has been where you are now. Yes it’s difficult , and yes the journey will be hard, but you are getting treatment. This is the worst bit, the waiting and worrying. Your mind will be spinning out of control so you need a few techniques to get you through until your diagnosis is confirmed and you have a treatment plan. Relaxation and meditation were very helpful for me, although I was initially very sceptical. I also pampered myself, having massages, manicures etc as I didn’t know if I could with chemo. As it happens you can, so that was good. I started a journal and raved and raged in that, rather than at my hubby. Calmness serves you better with everything you will have to do. There is loads of info on this site which will help you understand your pathology results and help you on your journey. It’s been three years since my initial diagnosis and I am doing great. Don’t forget that your success is your teams success, and they will do everything to get that successful outcome for you. Trust them, but also listen to your body.Best wishes fir a safe and successful journey. X