Breastcarenurse

Hi all

am new to this forum . I was given the confirmed diagnosis last week by a doc then left with a Macmillan Breast Care nurse to advise me what was going to happen next. Unfortunately I didn’t have a good experience with her. I felt she was patronising  and  questioning my choice to be alone when receiving my results. It was almost like she wanted me to cryHas anyone else experienced this and is it acceptable to ask for a different key worker? Or am I displacing my emotion on

to some poor woman who was only trying to do her job. She referred to other women she had dealings with as ‘my ladies’

Thoughts please anyone

@monicamini  - welcome to the forum, but I’m very sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I want to start by sending you big gentle hugs and I hope you will find lots of support and help from this forum as you go through treatment. If you have any questions about the forum please ask, and I don’t know if you have discovered the lovely nurses on here who can help if you have medical questions, or if you just need someone to talk to. They can be contacted by phone (number at the top of this page) or via the nurses’ board.

Going back to your question - it’s very important that you feel comfortable and supported by your team, and especially when you have just been diagnosed. Unfortunately sometimes you come across someone whose bedside manner is lacking, or who you just don’t feel you click with. At my hospital there is a team of BC nurses, and I’m sure that’s the case everywhere, so perhaps you could ask if you could have a different one - perhaps just have a discreet word with the head of the team?

If I, or others on here, can help with any questions at all please don’t hesitate to ask. Or anytime you just want to offload just go ahead, everyone on here understands and “gets it” without you having to explain. Evie xx