cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CT SCAN WORRIES

7 REPLIES 7
eeyore58

Re: R;E CT SCAN WORRIES

Hi Tara, thank you for your lovely reply, i had the results from my CT/PET scan this morning the breast surgeon/dr told me that my scan was 'clear' and has not spread so you can imagine my joy when she told me this news, ive got grade3 invasive ductal cancer ER+ HER2 - With one infected lymph node, ive got to see my oncologist tomorrow morning i presume its for treatment discussion, im having 6 rounds of chemo over 6 months then mascetomy of the infected breast with removal of the node, then hopefully i will be cured i wish you the very best of luck with your treatment xx

ttyler
Community Champion

It’s funny really, because until I got cancer I never really thought about dying. Now it is always on my mind that it could have been worse for me or it might come back one day and things not be so good.Please try not to worry, because breast cancer is very treatable now days. I am no doctor, but I think they are conducting all of the scans to get a clear picture of what they are dealing with and to work out the best treatment for you. Like I said before I had ct and bone scans and there was a shadow part below my scar on my right rib. It w as talked about at the MDT meeting and agreed that this is probably just scaring. I still have little niggles at times that this could be something worse, but have to trust in my team. Additionally, I had a biopsy on my cervix on Wednesday as I have been having abnormal bleeding since going through the change after chemo and then becoming fertile once again. I must be the only lady that can 😂 don’t do things by halves me! Anyway it has been established that I have abnormal cells and they are going to do a more in depth biopsy and internal scan next week. If it is cancer I will need radiation and possibly chemo again or if pre cancerous will have the cells frozen off the waiting for scans and results is worrying and horrible, but it ensures they can get the best picture of what is going on and plan to cure you. Please, please try not to worry, enjoy your time with your grandchildren, don’t let the worry of cancer ruin your life. With strength and belief you will get through whatever the outcome.

Sending lots of hugs 🤗 

Tara xx

eeyore58

Re: CT SCAN WORRIES

Hi Thanks again Evie, my worry is why they have sent me to have a petscan ...is it because they found more cancer from the breast mri i had last week or is it just routine so they know how best to treat it, im just scared that they have found more, i haven't had the official results from the biopsys yet so im absolutely petrified of what they have found, if anything ...im a mess thinking i really am going to die now ...at the very first visit to the clinic, i had mamogram then onto have ultrasound only to be told that she found something so then i had 4 core biopsy 's in my breast and a biopsy from my lymph node, as she said it looked a bit irregular, then went to see the breast dr and she said they were fairly certain it was cancer ..(.they found 2 small lumps)  i then asked if i was going to die, that was the first thing that came out of my mouth!  ...she said its very treatable she and said no you are not going to die i asked if it would spread between now and my results appointment which was 3 weeks away, she said no it would not, i still cant accept what she said, because i'm thinking she has made a mistake and after seeing the mri results its worse than what they originaly thought, sorry to ramble but im so scared.

eeyore58

Hi Tara ...thank you for reply, im really worried they have looked at the breast mri results and found its spread or something drastic,  i cant remember the dr saying anything about a petct but my brain had left the room as soon as she mentioned cancer, my sister said that i said something about an mri and ct scan when we left but i cant remember, im just so worried that its spread and now the thought of me dying has become more real to me, i was so down last night thinking that i wont see my grand children grow up, im petrified  ...hope you are doing well xx

ttyler
Community Champion

Hello,

My name is Tara, I was diagnosed in March 2020 with triple negative breast cancer at the age of 36. As we were in the middle of a pandemic I had surgery first (therapeutic mammoplasty), then chemo followed by radiotherapy. Although my cancer was grade 3 right from the start, (was fast growing) I was only stage 1c and because of this they were not I initially going to scan me, because they did not think it would have spread to the lymph nodes. As it was, the doctors were correct, however me being me demanded every scan going 😊

I had a bone scan, mri and ct scan. They inject the dye through a cannula before the scan as the dye will go to where the cancer is, if there is any and they will be able to detect it. Like anything I think there is some slight risk, but not to the extent that it will give you cancer or make it worse. I have had a number of ct scans since my treatment for breast cancer for other conditions and have been absolutely fine. 

Also I think a pet ct scan is a similar procedure, just better imagery. I know it is scary what you are going through, but follow what your medics have to say. They are professionals and you are in safe hands.

Hope this helps 

love ❤️ Tara xxx

Evie-S
Community Champion

Re: CT SCAN WORRIES

@eeyore58 - I typed a message about an hour ago but it seems to have vanished, so fingers crossed this one will work. I’ll try to remember what I said!

My first suggestion would be to call the nurses on her first thing in the morning, their number is at the top of the page - 08088006000. They are obviously medically trained so will be able to help with your questions. Unfortunately I can’t remember anything much about my scans, I seem to have blocked out those early days from my memory!

However, I too was worried about radiation risks. I remember being told that some of these scans are no worse than taking a long haul flight, so that helped me put things into perspective. Please don’t quote me on that as I can’t remember all the details - it’s a very valid question so do ask the radiographers doing your scans. Also it’s important to remember that these scans are important in diagnosing us correctly, so the benefits should outweigh the risk of the radioactive stuff. That’s how I try to look at it anyway, if that helps at all. Very best wishes, Evie xx

eeyore58

R;E CT SCAN WORRIES

ive just found out its a PET CT SCAN im having ...is there a difference? 

eeyore58

CT SCAN WORRIES

Hi the clinic phoned me this morning and have to have a CT scan, got to have this radio active substance in my body ...is this all part of the routine screening they do or did they look at the MRI results and decided that its spread??? ....im so scared now and im also scared of this radio active stuff and its affects ...are there any??? please a lot of reassurance needed!! x