Surgeon says that It’s being done retrospectively as if they had known about the size and grade this would have been done before surgery. I guess they are looking for spread although with clear lymph nodes I bloody hope not!
Can I ask what the ct and bone scan is for?
I have refused radiotherapy as the risk reduction is only 4%, that's 2% more than if you do have it. I decided the side effects from the radiotherapy wasn't worth the 4% chance of this same cancer returning in this same breast.
I'm thinking I will try the tamoxifen and see how I go, but for a small reduce in risk of other cancers I'm not going to put up with possible daily dibilatating symptoms from it.
Hi Suki and Martj
Im in a similar position to you both. Get Oncotype result next week and just wondering about risk versus side effects of treatment. My tumour was bigger than expected and upgraded from 2 to 3. Clear margins and lymph nodes clear. I had a CT and MRI yesterday and am waiting on a date for a bone scan. Before surgery the plan was radiotherapy and Tamoxifen but the goal posts seem to continually change. I almost feel it’s like cracking a nut with a sledgehammer. I don’t want to have unnecessary treatment for a low recurrence probability but equally I don’t want to be dealing with cancer again!
My gut says it's not worth or for the minimal percentage it gives but then will I wish I had further down the line??
I hope you also get good results xx
Thats great results for you, so pleased 😃💖
I have the results of my oncotype score tomorrow which will determine if I’ll benefit from chemo or not. My tumor was downgraded from 2 to 1 so hoping for good news but you never know in this game do you? Everyone’s cancer is so different.
I was told that I’ll go on hormone treatment anyway but as I went through the menopause at 46 I’ll be taking anastrozole. Some people seem to really suffer with side effects from hormone therapy and some sail through it. What’s your gut feeling?
How are you getting on?
I ended up seeking a private consultant that would give me the support I needed and the op I wanted, had surgery last Tues and got the results of lymph node etc yesterday, all good, no spreading to lymph nodes and pretty high survival percentage. Just got to decide on taking the tamoxifen now with only a 3% benefit to me I'm not sure it's worth the extra side effects from taking it?
Are you having to take hormone therapy?
Yes, I'll be looking at a reconstruction further along the line - who knows when that will be 😞
Trying to stay strong and take each day as it comes. The BC nurses are being amazing at checking in on me but of course they don't have the answers
I completely understand your stress. I had my mastectomy just over a week ago. Prior to that the discussions I had with the hospital were a little guarded. They answered most of my questions but when I asked if, under normal circumstances, I would be eligible for an immediate reconstruction they shut me down and refused to discuss it as the option is 'off the table at the moment' xx
Anyone else struggling with getting straight info about treatments available due to covid??
feels like lots of uncertainty around it all which is the last thing needed when trying to make a decision about which treatment to choose. The only straight fact seems to be, you can have a mastectomy but we won’t reconstruct??