DCIS - Mastectomy in a few days - Worried

Hi, 

I am 58, and in mid - January my left breast was a bit tender for a day or two and the breast tissue felt ‘full’ and a bit firm, I was going to go to my GP, but my letter calling me for routine mammogram came through. I booked it in for Feb 1st. I was called back 2 weeks later - I thought it was just for some clearer pictures - but when I got in, it was apparent biopsies would be taken from two locations in my breast calcifications were ‘suspicious’ and markers left in. A biopsy was also taken from a lymph node that was slightly enlarged. 

4th March, results showed 2 clusters of DCIS high grade and the lymph node was clear. Spread of 10cm, so I am having a mastectomy on Wednesday (31st) with 3 sentinel lymph nodes too. Then a two week wait for the histology results.

What is really doing me, is that I can still feel the hardened area  (where one of the clusters of calcifications were) - a good 3 - 4 cm across. Yet I seem to recall the consultant saying there was no tumour apparent and that I wouldn’t feel DCIS. I have convinced myself that this is going to be invasive cancer and that it is spreading massively every day I am awaiting surgery. 

All compounded in the knowledge that my routine mammogram was 4-5 months delayed due to covid.

I suppose I am hoping someone will say, I had similar and it wasn’t invasive… Am I in la-la land?

Sorry for the long post, I am feeling scared and hopeless. 

Pam :two_women_holding_hands: sorry you find yourself here but glad you’ve reached out to Breast Cancer Now It is a lot to take in when you get diagnosed but you must be kind to yourself, you got checked and didn’t ignore anything. Remember your team have seen it all before and are there to support and guide you safely through treatments step by step :two_women_holding_hands: And they will do speak to them about anything it’s what they want you to do, they are always there for you. Please ring the number on here and speak to a nurse and also the someone like me option might help a bit too, everyone on the threads are here :two_women_holding_hands: think of it as safety net of invisible arms helping you each step, that’s what we all do Please ask away, others will be along to offer support too Do try and keep off google it can send you into orbit.  Do join the surgey threads and then if any additional treatment chemo or rads or both, there is lots of support and help and tips and tricks to help you as much or as little as you need Do everything your own way in your own time, there are no right or wrongs and always be kind to yourself because you are amazing :two_hearts: :two_hearts: :sparkles: :sparkles: Shi xx

Hello Pam, 

Oh I know 100% how you are feeling and you are not alone! I’ve Just been reading your post and hoping I can help you feel a bit better. 

I was diagnosed with high grade DCIS aged 32 last March and had a mastectomy and sentinel node biospy at the beginning of April (they also took 3 lymph nodes.) What they originally thought was 1cm worth of DCIS was shown to be 7cm after the breast mri. I also had calcifications. Everything happened like a whirlwind and I was in having surgery very quickly. It was so frightening and I felt just like you, worrying about the areas spreading which hadn’t been biopsied and that my lymph nodes would be positive. 
However after my surgery and the awful two week wait (you have to do what you can to keep busy- I started growing veg!) it was found that the total area was infact 8.5cm but ALL DCIS and NO invasive cancer, and lymph nodes clear! So no you are not living in la la land! 
Just after I was diagnosed and went back to see the Consultant, I told him that I felt that everything I was putting in my body was making it grow faster. But he said it all happens very slowly. I didnt make the most of my breast care nurse during that scary time, but I highly recommend that you ring her and tell her everything you have written in this post. She will be able to support you and put your mind at ease! If I could go back I would have deffo done the same. 

Also my biggest post surgery advice - get in some gentle laxatives like Lactulose. Post op constipation is no-one’s friend! 

Really hope that helps a bit, 

Sending hugs 

Becky xx 

Hi

my symptoms were the same I am 48 and my right breast was tender and I could feel a lump. Biopsy showed both dcis and invasive so I am having a mastectomy on 15 April followed by chemotherapy. The scan showed no lymph involvement but I too am having 3 removed for biopsy and testing. I’ve been concerned because I’ve experienced a lot of discomfort and the breast feels quite hard and swollen but I have been reassured that this doesn’t mean the cancer is getting worse it can be as a result of the biopsy trauma and it’s the tissue settling back down. The waiting is the hardest part - take care xx