DIagnosed today

Had a mammogram 28 January 2019 and received letter a week ago asking me to come in for further tests. What a long week that was! Anyway went to screening centre this morning and had mammogram, I waited a short while then called in to be shown results, a lump on my left breast.

The doctor then did a ultra sound and an examination and confirmed that it is almost certainly breast cancer. I then had a biopsy which I now have to wait an agonising two weeks for results. 

I already have appointment to see a consultant straight after receiveing biopsy results.

I am so scared, I want to be brave for my husband and children but inside I’m screaming.

Hi maryah,

Sorry to see you here, but there’s loads of support & between us all, we’ve been through everything that bc can throw at us. 

There’s no getting round it, but the next couple of weeks will feel difficult, simply because you don’t have all the info yet & what is to be done about it. Therefore, the mind goes into overdrive in filling in the gaps. However, this stage will pass & you’ll feel better when your treatment plan is in place. 

The important thing is, it can now be dealt with & outcomes are excellent now. 

It’s best to avoid general googling at this stage as you don’t have the info, it wont reassure & makes any anxiety a whole lot worse. If you need info the use reputable sites like this one & come & chat whenever you need to. 

ann x

Hi Maryah

Sorry you have found yourself here, but the help and advice from all the ladies will really support you.

Reading your story so far is like reading mine from a year ago! I had my first ever mammogram end Jan was recalled 12th Feb for mammogram, ultrasound and biopsy. Then the dreaded wait for 10 days. The waiting is the worst, once you know the results you will be able to cope much better.

My lump was  cancer, luckily they had a slot on the following Tuesday (diagnosed on the Thursday 22Feb ) for a WLE and sentinel node biopsy. Luckily for me no node involvement, just followed by a course of radiotherapy.

Now a year on, have had my first mammogram since treatment and all is tickety  boo!

Do keep us updated and know this is a safe place to let your emotions out. We have all experienced that fear and panic. 

Lots of love

Jo x

I was diagnosed just before Christmas 2018.  I have now  had WLE lumpectomy and SLN Removal in Jan so from diagnosis to removal in a month  .    I can honestly say up to now the worst part for me has been waiting for the biopsy results and the initial  official diagnosis .  I had almost a two week wait and my head was all over the place … would it be my last Xmas etc? .   Weirdly once I got my diagnosis it was as if a huge weight had  been lifted.   I just went into practical mode.  Consultant gives  you a plan of what they are going  to do, sometimes orders mri and introduces you to your breast cancer nurse ( they seem to be a mixed bag some are angels others not so much - I avoid mine ).   By joining this group there are loads of women who have been in the same situation as you.  I have found it really helpful .  Even just reading - you don’t have to comment.  

I always feel like I am waiting … for appointments/results etc especially as everything has to go via a multi disciplinary team meeting once a week  before you get to hear anything.  Get used to being the last to know lol   In reality things are moving pretty quickly.  

I don’t really come on here very often as I’m now living my life positively but this forum was a godsend when I was in your position. That could have been me writing your post over 2 years ago - same thing, mammogram, called back, left breast lump, ultrasound, biopsy then confirmed as invasive ductal carcinoma - I had a mastectomy but I’m living life to the full now and just had my 2nd annual mammogram all clear - keep your chin up because as difficult as it is now it WILL get easier xxx