Delays to surgery and vacuum assisted biopsy

Hi, I’m really pleased to have been pointed in the direction of Breast Cancer Now by a friend.  This is my first post and I’m looking forward to linking with others for support and to provide support where I can.  I was diagnosed with invasive breast cancer in one area of my breast in April and have been told I’ll need surgery. I’m awaiting an appointment for a vacuum assisted biopsy as there are other smaller areas of concern in other areas of the same breast.  I’m not looking forward to this biopsy as my breast is swollen and tender from the initial biopsy in April and an unsuccessful stereo core biopsy in May. I’d be really interested to hear others’ experiences with this. Another concern for me is that I’ve been told that as a result of an increase in referrals to my NHS clinic, surgery will now be delayed for at least 2 or 3 months when the usual practice has been to operate within 2 to 3 weeks.  I wonder if others have also been told to expect delays?

Dear @Kym , welcome to the Forum. We are pleased that your friend pointed you to the Breast Cancer Now Forum, and I hope you find the information here useful.

If there are any questions that you’d like to ask to one of our team of breast care nurses, you can post your question on the Ask Our Nurses boards. If you prefer to speak to a nurse on the phone, you can reach us on freephone 0808 800 6000 (Mon-Fri 9am-4pm; Sat 9am-1pm).

Sending warmest wishes

Bernard