Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diagnosed 1 March

6 REPLIES 6
Evie-S
Community Champion

Re: Diagnosed 1 March

Hi Yvonne - thank you for your kind and lovely words, and also for coming back on to update us. I’m really glad your surgery has gone well and that you have found a March surgery group too, it’s really helpful to chat to others at the same stage. Pandabear has given you some wise advice too, I definitely agree with all that.

What can I add...... I’m sure your team has already stressed how important it is to keep up the arm exercises. Also I’d like to pass on some advice I found out by accident - if you are taking painkillers, it’s best not to stop them suddenly but to reduce them gradually. I thought I was ok so stopped mine suddenly and ended up in a lot of pain. 

Lots of rest, treats and as Pandabear says do feel proud you have come this far. Take one day at a time and try to lock away the idea of the results in a box until you get closer to your next appointment. That is of course easier said than done, but it might be worth a try. Hugs and best wishes, Evie xx

Pandabear

Dear Yvonne,

just wanted to add to Evie's best wishes.  I am glad that surgery went well.  Look after yourself over the next few weeks, as you await the results. Try not to let your mind run wild with what-ifs, and definitely stay away from Dr Google!   Do take a notepad and pen with you to that appointment to write anything down. 

Anyway, well done you for coming this far. Feel proud of yourself  🙂 

Big hugs x 

simplyeve

Hi Evie

Thanks for the good wishes, I just wanted to let you know my surgery went well.  I have also found another group of ladies in the surgery group,  the subject title is Treatment starting 31st March, there doesn't appear to be a surgery March 2021 thread as such so we do have a little group as such.

I am now awaiting my results, will be going for review on 7th April so another short wait, but I think it will be more bearable now.  Thanks for your support.  I do hope that you are well too.  You are very kind to give up so much of your time to help people so thank you again.

Best Wishes

Yvonne

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi Yvonne - my belated thanks for your lovely reply and kind hugs, you are so right, we can never get enough hugs.

I’m really glad that you managed to find some other threads to help reassure you that you have made the right decision. It’s so hard isn’t it, one minute we get a diagnosis then the next we are having to make a decision on something we know very little about. I hope my last message didn’t come across as suggesting you shouldn’t question your team - quite the opposite, I think I drove my team nuts as I questioned everything and arrived for every appointment with “the latest research”! 

I also wanted to wish you all the best for your surgery tomorrow - I hope it’s still going ahead tomorrow. Please do come back and let us all know how you get on, and if you have any questions we can help with. I’ve just checked, there seems to be a thread for January and February 2021 surgery, but not a March one. You might want to check in on one of those. Evie xx

simplyeve

Hi Evie

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and for your advice.

I did some further searching and have found cases with the same surgery and it has given me alot of peace of mind that I have made the right decision.

I do trust my surgeon he has been straightforward with me from my first appointment so I was not doubting him at all, he merely asked the question and the decision was mine to make.  I think really it is more of a question of last minute jitters as the op is approaching rapidly and as you said sharing on here is a great way to help resolve them.

Thanks again for your response and your hug is gratefully received and I am sending one back, as I think in these difficult times you can never have enough hugs.

Yvonne 

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi Yvonne - welcome to this lovely forum, I’m really glad you decided to take the plunge and post your story and questions. I hope you will find lots of support as you go through your treatment. Please ask if you have any questions about this forum and the services offered by BCN.

I’m sorry I can’t answer your specific question as I had a mastectomy, but I’m happy to try to answer any general surgery type questions you may have. Or if you feel anxious then this is the best place to share your concerns. I wonder if you have tried searching the general forum to find previous discussions about your questions for example?

From my experience surgeons and medical teams tend to be ultra cautious so if they have told you that both options, lumpectomy or mastectomy, will give the same result then I would trust them. But on the other hand, it’s always good to find out what others have had and just compare advice - it’s your body after all.

My very best wishes to you, and a big hug, Evie xx

simplyeve

Diagnosed 1 March

Hi Everyone,

I have been following the forum for the last few weeks and have found the information extremely useful and everyone is so kind I thought I would take the plunge and join as I am sure I will be glad of your advice and support along my journey.

I am 62 years old and first noticed ever such a slight indentation in my nipple in November last year, having had a mammogram in Sept 19 I wasn't really too concerned but decided it was something I should watch, by February the indentation was more marked and I could feel a thickening in the tissue around my nipple, so I decided it was time to visit my GP (appointment 9th Feb) I came under the "urgent" referral guidelines and have to say the NHS in my area has been brilliant.  I had my first consultant appointment on 22nd Feb, mammogram, ultrasound & biopsy all done same day.  I had my results in Appointment the following week on 1 March.

I have been diagnosed with a grade 3 IDC (reading the forum has definitely paid off😊)  I am ER+/PR+/HER2+.  Wasn't expecting that I can tell you.  I am scheduled for surgery on Monday (22nd subject to negative covid test and have opted to have WLE with SNB as my lump was 13mm so my surgeon offered me the choice of mastectomy or lumpectomy although my nipple (but not aureola)  will be being removed even with lumpectomy,  I must admit if I have a doubt it's that I should have opted for the mastectomy but my surgeon seemed to think that my treatments would be the same either way, so I decided to go for lumpectomy with the nipple removal.  If anyone has any experience of this and would like to share their experience I would be very grateful to hear them.

Obviously until I get my lymph node biopsy I don't know exactly what treatments I am going to be given, so I'm anticipating being told I need the lot and anything less will be a bonus.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Yvonne