Diagnosed 12/17/19 - Scared of Blood Clots During Biopsy

Hi Everyone,

I’m 49 years old and just found out I have Invasive Ductal Carcinoma, Stage 1, Grade 2 (based on stereotactic biopsy).  I was suprised.  Felt no lump or anything.  The microcalcifications showed up on my mammogram.  I’m going to have a lumpectomy the first week of January (don’t have a date yet) and a sentinel node biopsy.  What I’m most scared about right now is developing blood clots.  Eleven years ago I had gastric bypass and developed 1, 2, possibly 3 pulmonary embolisms 11 days post op.  They couldn’t say for sure how many.  I went on blood thinners for 6 months and was able to stop them.  I enjoy running and am so much healthier than I was so I know there are some things in my favor.  I never had extra skin removed because of the PE’s.  So, now I have cancer and need to have this done.  My Dr. is going to give me a shot of Lovenox before the surgery to help prevent them.  As soon as I wake up, I’m going to stand up and walk even if I have to lean on someone.  My Dr. understands my concern and isn’t worried about the bleeding which I am so thankful for.  Trying to be positive but I don’t want anything bad to happen because of the biopsy.  

Hi TLC,  sorry you find yourself here.  It’s a very anxious time after diagnosis.  I’m still here and doing well nearly 3 years on since diagnosis after chemo, surgery and radiotherapy.  I think some of your concerns would be best addressed to the nurses on this thread:

forum.breastcancernow.org/t5/Ask-Our-Nurses/ct-p/Asknurses

You can also join the “going through treatment” threads to chat with others going through the same.  I found this really helpful when I was in treatment.  Best wishes.