Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diagnosed before biopsy results

10 REPLIES 10
jacqu

Re: Diagnosed before biopsy results

Susan 

I’m not keen on having the cold cap as it means spending longer during treatment. 

jacqu

@Evie-S Thank you, lots of helpful info. Afternoon has been busy online, had a look at wigs and post surgery bras. I ordered the udderly cream oncology care box (saved some money on that). Now for a cancer thoughts free weekend.

Susanmanchester

Consider the cold cap worked for me .....x 

Evie-S
Community Champion

@jacqu - we are all here if or when the tears start and you need someone to listen and hold your hand. I remember it took a while to get over the shock and to get my head around what just happened. So I would suggest you are very gentle with yourself, lots of kindness and treats, and take things one day at a time.

It’s a good idea to start doing practical things, like looking for wigs, helps you feel like you are doing something. For surgery you might want to look for front opening nightshirt or pyjamas, and make sure you have front opening shirts/tops at home as it isn’t easy after surgery to get tops over your head. Also move some things like tea and coffee down from high shelves so you aren’t having to over stretch in the early days. These are just a few thoughts for now.

I had chemo and mastectomy about 4 years ago, and am happy to try to answer any questions you might have about chemo, or anything else. Of course it’s not nice, but it’s a necessary evil. Also remember that the doctors/nurses will tell you about every possible side effect, they have to for legal reasons, but that doesn’t mean that all or indeed any of them will happen to you. When you know your chemo start date you might want to join the monthly group for others starting at the same time, that way you can compare notes and support each other. My group was a real life and sanity saver for me.

I wish you all the very best as you go forward. Evie xx

jacqu

Hi

Now have my biopsy results, Grade 2 ductal, Stage 1, triple negative, 4 cms. Told it’s early stage so that’s somewhat comforting. Treatment will be surgery and chemo but not necessarily in that order, depends on what size the MRI shows as the ultrasound results done at biopsy showed mass to be 1 cm smaller than consultant’s measurements (?).

I was amazed at how calm I felt, didn’t even cry during my time with the BC nurse later. Probably the tears will flow at some point. I’m not too scared about the surgery but the thought of chemotherapy freaks me out, thinking the worst of the worst. Already looking at wigs online (I like to be prepared!)

noodledoodle

Hi 

I was diagnosed with invasive ductal breast cancer on first March and biopsy showed it to be triple negative. I was also told this was cancer before the biopsy results.

I totally understand how you are feeling, as I felt exactly the same way. It was horrendous, I am not usually an anxious person, but had never felt anxiety like it.

The early days truly are the worst when you are trying to process all the information and bring breast cancer into your family life. Telling family and friends is hard but does relieve a lot of the stress as they will be a huge source of support. Don`t let your thoughts run away with you ( I know it is so difficult not to) and deal only with the information you are given at that time, and not all your fears. Fears aren`t facts.

To begin with I was thinking everything....spread, don`t want to die etc etc. Now I have a treatment plan I feel much calmer. I do have my ups and downs but more ups than downs now and am certainly much much calmer.

I really do think, so far, the initial diagnosis, telling people, and the endless waiting for biopsy and test results, is by far the worst. Things will improve once you know exactly what you are dealing with and a treatment plan. There will then be threads on here you can find, tailored more to your individual journey, or start your own thread with the bits you feel you need extra support and information for

Good luck and STAY OFF GOOGLE, it only fuels anxiety. Keep us posted with your journey as there is a wealth of experience and support on here, which helps enormously.

jacqu

Thanks.

I had a terrible headache last night, three hours sleep and woke up at 4am this morning, breast is aching and a lovely shade of purple. Today is tearful, mind in a whirl, can’t even remember what size the consultant said the lump is. I haven’t been looking at google for info, only this site and the cancer research site, however I’ve decided to not read anymore until I have the biopsy results and treatment plan in two weeks time. There’s too many “what if’s” going round in my head which doesn’t help as well as all the plans (visiting family, trips, moving house?) that were cancelled the past year due to the lockdowns and will now have to be cancelled again because of this diagnosis and whatever treatment to follow. 

Lets get through it! xx

Speckled Frog

I am in a similar position.  After mammogram and ultrasound, my consultant sent me for an MRI.  Saw her again yesterday and had 5 x core biopsies and a titanium marker put in.  I had hoped she was going to tell me I could stop worrying, but instead she said I have a 19x13mm invasive lobular cancer.  The biopsy will tell her whether or not it's hormone receptive.  I'm stunned, sad, scared and can't get off the internet.  With you all the way xx

jacqu

Thank you Shi xx

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Jacqu ❤️ Sorry you find yourself on here, do use all the help and support Breast Cancer Now can give you before your biopsy results so you can take in list of questions if you need to. Please be kind to yourself you will be in shock right now, don’t think anyone who has gone in for a check and then next thing you are having biopsy etc and then sent on your way while waiting for results doesnt feel like they are in free fall. Remember your team have seen it all before and will be tailoring treatments specifically for you, Breast Cancer Now will be additional support blanket along with your tram each step of treatments and there are threads that you can join if you want each stage of treatments where others at same stage in treatments will share tips and tricks with you too ❤️ Be kind to yourself, don’t try and process everything all at once it sends you into overdrive and do keep off dr google because that just sends everyone stratospheric. Do look at strawberry blondes mountain lion in hope and inspiration it is something that has helped lots of us over the years on here ❤️ Step by step you will get through 👭💕💕Shi 

jacqu

Diagnosed before biopsy results

Hi,

I came across this website couple of weeks ago but didn’t want to post until after my clinic appointment (in the hope I wouldn’t need to use it, unfortunately I do).

Given a 2ww referral to the breast clinic by my local surgery after I found a hard lump in one breast last month (I’m 65 soon). Clinic was busy and running late (it happens) and had an hour’s wait beyond my appointment time which didn’t help my nervousness. Examined by consultant, told me what procedures they were going to do and had short wait for mammogram, ultrasound, biopsy, and insertion of metal marker followed by another mammogram to check marker was in right place. By this time I thought to myself it was probably serious. Back to the consultant who showed me the images and told me that it was cancer, treatment most likely would be to remove the lump (day surgery or overnight) followed by “medication” (his words). Short and to the point! I didn’t ask any questions as I was in a bit of a shock. Biopsy results in two weeks time. 

Biopsy obviously confirms diagnosis but do these results also determine type of cancer and treatment that follows?

Due to lockdown I’ve not seen any of my family since 2019. This diagnosis feels like everything has been put on hold again and I feel like screaming, not cried yet, still in shock, thinking of all the worst scenarios now.

(Three screening mammograms since I turned 50, don’t smoke, barely drink alcohol, eat healthily, no breast cancer in family.)