Diagnosed last week, 36 years old with new baby

Hi ladies

I have been lurking on this forum since being diagnosed with IDC grade 3 breast cancer last week.

I originally went to the doctors 4 weeks ago after finding a huge lump that had come up over a few days (I would say the size of a golf ball), my doctor told me to go straight to a&e as he didn’t want me to wait the two weeks it took to get an appointment at the breast clinic

I have a 14 week old baby and once the clinic had done an ultrasound the described it as some kind of
Cyst which they drained there and then, but there was a mass there which they wanted to do a biopsy on just to be sure, I was quite reassured by them that with my history it was probably a blocked milk duct but they were just ticking all the boxes.
Two weeks later I find myself being told that I have breast cancer, it was a total shock and I didn’t cope too well to start with, I convinced myself I was going to die, thinking about my funeral and was sure that I was not going to see my baby grow up. I had convinced myself that the cancer must have spread. I have had my MRI scan and ct scan on Monday just gone and am now waiting to see if it has spread and the grading of the cancer, these results absolutely petrify me! I have amazing support from family and friends and am trying to keep myself busy but this big cloud of the worry of dying of cancer is always over me!
I am trying to keep positive and am Looking forward to having a treatment plan in place. I have been told that I will need chemo and surgery (was told this at diagnosis). I am just trying to take each stage at a time.
Reading people’s experiences on here has been a great help, like all of us I never expected to be here, I just can’t believe it. As each day passes I just keep thinking that the cancer is growing and spreading every day, how quickly does it spread with IDC grade three?
Thanks for reading, I hope to get to know some of you going through treatment at the same time, I wish it was in better circumstances though! X

Hiya.
Sorry to hear your news but stay positive hun. I found my lump beginning of July went for scans biospsy 18th then got results 30th. I was diagnosed with grade 3 but didn’t now what type. I had my surgery yday 4 weeks after. I asked my consultant yday what type of cancer it was and he said idc. This group is amazing and will help you along the way with any concerns you have please feel free to ask me anything. My surgery went well so now it’s a relief that the cancer is out so just got to go back in 2 weeks for results then start my treatment to kick it into touch . I now it’s easy to say stay strong and positive but it’s hard but you’ll get this week over from the shock then start to come to terms with it. Try and keep yourself busy as this helps and time go quicker so you can get treatment . Take care.
Anne

Hi Purp22
Glad you found us, although obviously it’s not where you saw yourself a few weeks ago.
There’s loads of support here & others who are in a similar position to yourself, so you’re not alone.
We’ve all been there & understand how you’re feeling now, It’s quite usual to worry about any spread, but for the vast majority of us, it’s not gone anywhere else on diagnosis & time frames on diagnosis, make no difference.
Thankfully, now it’s been diagnosed, it can be dealt with & outcomes are excellent now. The vast majority of us get through it.
Do look at the ‘going through treatment’ threads & join your monthly chemo group where you will be able to chat & get support from others where you are now & further down the line.
Sending hugs
ann x

Hello purp22 am happy you found this forum which is of huge benefit to all ladies going through different diagnosis and similar as well . We have lots of lovely ladies here who can help and make u feel loved despite this cancer can not rule us we have to take control and not let it win, i was diagnosed in June with DCIS insitu still contained in the milk duct high grade but more test will be done after surgery to be sure xpecially lymph nodes .my baby was just 6weeks old from bone scan to CT scan which was all clear that was when I felt relieved and strong but after alot of crying and thinking that am going to die this forum help me understand that it is cureable and also family and friends.My dear you are not alone in this we are all here to offer words of hope and assurance ,my surgery is tommorw and am so ready to take it out of me and move on ,on my way now with my partner to have the lymp nodes injection ,wish u all d best ××× hugs.

Hello Purp22,

So sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I can only try and imagine how this must feel at a time when you would usually  be concerning yourself with the joy of your new baby and all that entails.

I just wanted to echo the welcome from the other users below.  By the way I was IDC grade 3 (also HER + and ER +).   In my opinion,  it is good that you are trying to  take things one stage at a time otherwise the array of treatments and their effects can just seem so overwhelming. 

Good on your GP for advising you to go straight to A and E.  as too often younger women can be overlooked and especially as you have given birth relatively recently.  That at least cut some of the waiting down.  Hope your MRI and CT come back just fine.  The fear and the worry you describe - it’s just a nightmare isn’t it?  I always say we are very good at self torture.  No doubt when all the scans and tests are through, and they have more information on the stage, size,   receptor status,  etc then you can get going with the treatment.

I don’t think anyone can really give you an answer to your question “how quickly does it spread if it is IDC grade 3?”.  Grade 3 cells have the potential to replicate rapidly and thus more potential to spread. People may also use the terms “aggressive”, “fast growing”.  However,  it is all very variable and individual so don’t let the grade 3 diagnosis bring you down.

For what it’s worth,  my tumour was grade 3 yet no evidence of  spread to the lymph nodes either clinically via scans and fine needle aspiration  nor surgically after sentinel  node biopsy.  I also put up with knowing I had the bleeding thing inside me for 8 months as I had chemo first. Mind you,  the chemo apparently shrunk the unwelcome guest to oblivion. 

Onwards and upwards Purp22

? Chick X

Hi Purp22, sorry you find yourself here but glad you have found us as we are a very caring bunch.  It’s very upsetting that you are having to deal with all of this when you should be enjoying time with your baby.  I understand the grey cloud feeling and that grey cloud stays with you but it floats a bit further away as time goes by.  From diagnosis to treatment is a very anxious time and we can all relate to that.  Just try and busy your mind with things which will help you.   Here’s my blog with lots of coping strategies which may or may not suit you:  lifeafterlola.com

Once you have your treatment plan in place you can chat with others on the “going through treatment” section, whether is surgery, radiotherapy, chemo, hormone blocking medication etc.  I found it very helpful.  Sending hugs. xxx

Thank so for all your replies, I had my results from the MRI and ct scan and the cancer hasn’t spread, the swollen lymph node came back clear too, such a relief! I feel much better today knowing that I have a good chance of getting rid of this cancer, I should be starting my chemotherapy in the next couple of weeks, just waiting for the appointment with my oncologist to go over everything. Am very nervous about the chemo as would be expected I guess, the loss of hair really bothers me which I know is so stupid as it really is only hair and it is more important to just be alive and cancer free! X