Diagnosed this morning

I have been told it’s treatable and curable but how can they be sure this early? Mammograms, ultrasounds and biopsies. I had this lump for so many years I assumed it was just normal. Now told I have a small cancer. 3cm doesn’t sound small to me. Reeling from shock…

3cm is pretty small. Also, it may not have been cancerous all the time you had it. I had an 11cm cancer which I had for getting on for two years before I was diagnosed. If they tell you they can deal with it believe them! They know. The vast majority of people diagnosed are successfully treated.

Good luck.

Sally

Hi JaneBelinda

I had a cancer like you that was small and yes it is treatable. I am 4 weeks post surgery and luckily it has been caught early. 3cm is small. they can do so much with regards treatment. You will have a lot of tests during the process and it will most probably mean surgery. As mine had not spread and was contained I will need radiotherapy in a few weeks time. 

You will reel from the shock and that is entirely normal. There were days when I could not concentrate, was upset, tired and emotional. You will get through it. Use this forum as it is brilliant for asking questions, gaining more information or for just having a good old rant and a whinge. 

Good luck x

Hi Jane,

There’s loads of support here, so do come back & ask anything or to chat or vent.

Yes, if they’ve told you it’s treatable & curable, then go with that, they wouldn’t say it otherwise & there’s every reason to be positive. You will come through this, we all do. 

Thankfully, It will now be dealt with & the outcomes for bc treatment are excellent now. 

The early days are the worst as it is all such a shock, but it does get better when your treatment plan is confirmed & you know where you’re going with it all. 

ann x

Hi, a diagnosis is a huge shock and it’s natural to feel like a bomb has just gone off in your otherwise happy life, its a scary time and one we can all completely relate too.

They are generally hugely positive about treating breast cancer because there is no reason not to be, to us this is massive but to your medical team it’s just another day in the office and they know exactly what they are doing, you will learn to have faith in them. 

You say you have had this lump for years, was it ever checked out before? I’m just curious and the important thing now is it’s going to be dealt with and you will find yourself getting through each stage and gaining confidence, we will be here to off load to whenever you need Xx Jo 

Hi Jane,
Sometimes mammos don’t show bc changes, they’re not a 100%, so it is the biopsy which confirms whether it is bc or not. Sometimes they can have an idea beforehand if it’s bc, but not always. Thank goodness the biopsy was done to make sure.
It’s horrible going through this stage though, the mind is all over the place with the anxiety of it all, we’ve all been there…but, it does settle & get better.
Although it is easier said than done, it can help to just try to concentrate on the next appointment & try not to let the mind go into overdrive with the ‘what ifs.’ It will get sorted out.
Do what you need to do about work & be as selfish as you need to be. You have had an awful shock & it takes time to get your head around it, let alone go through treatment & recover afterwards.
I had enough sick leave, so I took it. My job involves dealing with vulnerable people & I was not in a position where I felt could concentrate or do my best, so I took the time off.
Do take care & do what you need to get through.
ann x

Mine didn’t show on mammogram either, it won’t pick up everything unfortunately but as you’ve had this lump for so long had it always been cancerous it would have manifested its self in another way long before now I’m sure so it’s not likely to have been so all along. 

My cancer was actually growing on the side of a fibrodenama which is a harmless lump that had likely been there years and it was only recently the cancer had started to form. 

This stage is utterly terrifying and i don’t think ive ever felt so distraught and hopeless in my life but this passes and your fight and determination will return. I know it seems impossible now but you don’t stay in this hideous faze for long thank goodness, at some point our body takes over and snaps us back to reality. 

Ive just marked my 3rd year all clear and back then I never imagined this was possible, just deal with one appointment at a time, no sense going over the if onlys, you can only deal with the facts you have now. 

Xx Jo 

Presumably you are having a breast mri, Jane & yes, it will be more detailed & can detect any issues that the mammo might have missed. I had a breast mri as the biopsy suggested I had lobular as well as ductal bc. Lobular bc does not usually show up in mammos. Many of us have had mris here. I found waiting for the mri to be the most stressful part of the whole process, but in the end I was glad it was done as I then knew everything was done to get the diagnosis correct to get it dealt with.
As ever, it is the uncertainty when waiting & the mind going into overdrive to fill in the gaps, which is so hard to handle at this stage.
I am surprised the technician said what they did, s/he might have thought they were trying to be reassuring, but I would have thought it was not their role to comment, really.
ann x

Hi JaneBelinda,  I was diagnosed on 11 April, I had found a lump, referred to hosptial where i had a mammogram followed by an ultrasound and a biopsy.  The chap doing my ultrasound said it looked “suspsicious” which freaked me out, wish he had said nothing but they are doing their job I guess.  The diagnosis came from the biopsy results and mine was 3cm too but I was assured it was treatable and that I would be ok.  As the other ladies have said you have to trust your medical team.  I was in a terrible state in the initial few weeks, I had to wait for an MRI scan (which is completely fine, you just have to lie very still and think of England!!) this then showed an exact picture of the lump and any other areas of concern.   Although it doesn’t seem like it at the moment, things do improve, you get to understand what is happening and what the next steps are.  I have had surgery and am now awaiting a treatment plan and am feeling much better in myself.  Its two weeks post surgery, and I am back at work and driving again.  This forum is wonderful for letting of steam, and there is always someone who will offer advise and support.  We are all in this together and will be ready with a shoulder to cry on and a joke to see you through.   Keep on here and take lots of care, Kip xxx

Your start on this rollercoaster ride coincides with me getting off. I’ve had my op (double mastectomy, left profilactic by choice and immediate DIEP flap reconstruction) and have had my post op results today. I’m now about to get on the hormone therapy ride. I was were you are 6 months ago. I found you because I have just re read my first posts and can’t believe how lost and scared I was and how the people on this forum , strangers who I have never met, have helped to carry me through all my meltdowns and rants, or how they’ve taken time, even through their own ordeals, to listen and impart their wisdom and whit. It will help. It won’t take away the fear or the gremlins, but you won’t feel alone, because you aren’t. I’ve copied my most recent post below. If you come across Helena one of the community champions she’ll let you have a pair of the (metaphorical) knickers I mentioned.

medium.jpeg

Here’s a picture as I’m sure she wouldn’t mind me sharing my pair. You wear them for your appointments and put us in the pockets for support, but be careful not to sit on us. Yes, some if us are a bit loopy, but it helps.

My post:

Well the big knickers did their job really well again today. As I walked into the consultants office I (honestly) metaphorically adjusted them and checked you were all tucked safely in the pockets. I took a deep breath and stepped inside to the best news I could have had and have had in the last 6 months. I hope you didn’t all get too sick or dizzy as they came off and I swung them around my head in joy. Large area of DCIS (as I knew) removed. 2.5 cm IDC grade 1 (as I knew) removed. 1.8 cm grade 2 (as I knew) disappeared!! DISAPPEARED! Told my weight loss etc had helped with this. No more nodes involved so no more needing to be cleared. Low scores on Oncotype test so no chemo. Prescribed Anastrozole.

I’ve taken a while to post. I’ve gone from feeling elated to feeling guilty. I wanted share my good news with you all. We all need the good news. Then I struggled because after a false start, Feenix is still waiting for results - fingers crossed for knicker twirling ones, Sally and Jem are about to start/have started chemo and Gill’s started rads- can’t wait for all your knicker twirling moments when you’re through it. I suddenly feel I’ve got off “lightly”. Still trying to believe it really. I’ve restarted this post 3 times because of it.

Think I’ll printout a picture of Helena’s pants to remind me about all this, who I’m sharing it with and who has helped me get this far. Have just read my 1st posts on here (and they were my first on anything and I’ve not posted anywhere else ever). The wonderful ladies on here have carried me through all the rants and meltdowns. How can you feel so much gratitude and love for people you’ve never met? I’ll keep checking on here waiting for each of your knicker twirling moments, but be careful I’ll be in the pockets with you and I do get sea sick!! Xxxxxx

You won’t believe it now, Jane Belinda, but you’ll soon be looking back as I am now. Whatever you get dealt, remember good news is possible (says me who was still dreading the worst this morning). 

A good quote I found and is really true for us is " We don’t know how strong we are until strong is the only choice we have. Keep strong Jane Belinda xxx

Janebelinda,

I had grade 2 Invasive lobular cancer which was 11cms, so pretty large. I was told that despite the name it doesn’t normally spread far. I think the invasive bit is just because it spreads out of the cells it starts in. Mine was in some of my lymph nodes also which is why I need chemo to mop up any cancer cells that may have escaped and also because I can’t have radiotherapy due to having had it when I had my previous cancer, Pagetts disease 12 years ago. I’ve had two lots of CT and bone scans (before my first and after my second is) and there is no spread to my bones or organs. I think the grading is primarily based on the ferocity of the cancer and size is secondary.

Invasive is just a name, not a prediction or certainty so please try not to stress too much over it.

Salky

I definitely need a pair of those tough pants! Extra large!

Just out of the MRI an hour ago. Feeling a bit tired but otherwise OK. Knickers held up well ladies, thanks. 

Now the long wait for the treatment plan on Friday: my fear is mastectomy I guess ? BUT I will be guided by my MDT. One step at a time!

Dear JaneBelinda,
I hope the meeting goes well tomorrow. Will be thinking of you xx

Well done, Jane!
It’s certainly poor wording & not helpful when going through this.
My letters were completely factual & although initially a bit daunting to see in black & white, were also reassuring as well. In fact, sometimes I go back & read them.
I even quite look forward to getting the yearly follow up letter from the surgeon now!
ann x

One of my letters described me as a very lovely, funny lady who took the news very calmly.

I think my words were “I f#@%*ING knew it!”

The surgeon probably, for whatever reason, had not read the records beforehand Thistle, & often when dealing with a lot of people, the best thing to do is ask the patient! It doesn’t feel very reassuring though on the other side though ?
ann x

Got the date for my op this morning. 28 June ? Bring it on!!

Crikey Jane,
A couple of days off & back to work?!
My GP signed me off for a month so I took it!!!
Superwoman ??
Sending loads of best wishes for the op
ann x

Sounds like an exciting summer, JaneBelinda! x