Diagnosed today - looking for private BRCA1 Test…

Hi, so I’ve been diagnosed today with Stage 2 Invasive Duct Cancer, ER+, PR+, HER2-. I’m 43, and don’t qualify for genetic testing on the NHS, but I’d really like to be tested as it would impact my surgery decision. My mum died from Metastatic BC 3 years ago.  I’m lucky that my prognosis is currently good, but if I have the gene, I’d definitely opt for a mastectomy rather than lumpectomy. Has anyone paid for a private test and can point me in the right direction for a company that does this? Thanks 

Hi there

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis.  I looked into getting BRCA done very recently.  I contacted the genetics team at Oxford (orh-tr.churchill-clinicalgenetics@nhs.net).  It would have been a cost of £250 for the consultation and blood collection at genesiscare in oxford and I think about £800 for the testing. genesiscare hospitals are in different places in the country and so you could perhaps find one near you. Other private companies do it but you have to be careful which one you pick if you want the NHS to take notice of the result. I understand one company approved is check4cancer.com but I  think you should double check with your clinic to make doubly sure as alot of money if they dont take notice of the result.  Hope you get it sorted x

So sorry to hear about your Mum

i was offered the BRCA genetic testing in my first appointment (3 days ago) after the initial day of tests. I have HER2+ and a huge mass plus affected lymph nodes. 

I suppose the NHS has a profile of patient they offer it to. In my case, HER2 is aggressive and my Dad was from a poor village in a different country - his mother died very young without access to medical care. My relations are still in that country. This all means I don’t have a good picture of my family medical history. 

I hope you manage to find way to get it tested. I think genes and phenotypes are so important to consider.

Good luck. I hope it’s negative.