Diagnosed today

Hi, 

Last Friday I was told after a mammogram and an ultrasound that it is highly likely to be cancer and I should prepare myself for a diagnosis following biopsy results. Today was D- day; it was confirmed. Inconveniently this happens to be my daughter’s 16th birthday too. Cancer doesn’t care what day it is though, I understand that! My diagnosis is is stage 1 grade 2 hormone receptor positive breast cancer. Despite being absolutely out of my mind with worry over the last week and a half the diagnosis has given me some weird kind of relief. How can you be relieved when you’re just diagnosed with cancer? it is so strange! I have posted about it on my Facebook page purely to tell people to get in their bathrooms and check themselves, people’s reactions are so interesting! I am grateful that in the grand scheme of all things cancer my initial diagnosis looks like I have got away lightly, being a stage one. I am someone who usually constantly moans about the little silver things in life and this has immediately changed my whole outlook on everything. I want to communicate my absolute massive respect to everyone who is battling through this **bleep**storm, it appears no one knows how strong they are until they have to be. Much love to all. I will be on here now asking for all sorts of advice and wanting to bond with other people :sparkling_heart:

Hi MandaBee,

Just wanted to say hi and send you a hug, so sorry you had to deal with this on what should have been a happy day for your family but glad to hear that you’re relieved to find out the diagnosis. Do you have a treatment plan yet?

It looks like we are on a similar timescale - I also found out last Friday that I have breast cancer following a mammogram, ultrasound and biopsy. All they could tell me was that there is a lump and at least two nodes affected, with cancel cells in the initial biopsy. I have my follow up appointment today and to say I’m terrified is an understatement. In the past week I’ve had a breast MRI and a full body PET-CT scan, they also took bloods last week and were waiting on the full biopsy report. So today feels very much like “D-day”, as I guess I’ll find out what type it is, what treatment they can offer and crucially (this is the bit that scared me witless) whether it has spread.

I’ve also been literally out of my mind this past week and had some pretty difficult thoughts to deal with. I’m just hoping they can at least say it hasn’t spread and then I think I would feel the same as you, relieved!! And I totally know what you mean - how can we be relieved, it’s still not great, but as you say this changes your outlook. I have two daughters aged 14 and 11 and all I can think is please god can I be there to watch them grow up.

Anyway I just wanted to let you know that you’re not alone in everything you’ve been through this week and I hope you’re doing ok today.

xxx

Hi MandaBee - welcome to this lovely forum from me too, and big hugs to you. I’m really sorry you have been diagnosed but glad that you have found this forum and hope you will find it helpful and supportive. Please ask if you have any questions about how the forum works. If you have medical questions you may want to contact the nurses, via the chat or calling them on the number at the top of the page, or there is the “Someone like Me” service which will match you with someone who has been through a similar diagnosis if you want a more one to one support.

I finished treatment about 3.5 years ago for ER+, I had chemo, mastectomy and node clearance, reconstruction, radiotherapy and now Tamoxifen - so if I can help with any questions please ask.

I know what you mean about cancer not caring about what date it chooses - my diagnosis was the day after my daughter’s 17th birthday.

It’s great that you have found a way to be positive about it all, that will really help you - and others reading your post. But if you have a wobble at any time, do feel free to offload on here at any time. It’s a bit of a roller coaster at times - for some anyway.

My very best wishes to you for your treatment. Evie xx

Hi MandaBee,

I’m also sorry you’ve had this diagnosis but this is a marvellous place for both support and information. Everyone is happy to help with any worries or questions you may have. 

lowen