Diagnosed today

Hi,

I’ve been floored today by a diagnosis of Grade 2 invasive ductal breast cancer ER+ PR+  Still waiting HER2 although the consultant is expecting this to be negative. I’m 37 with 2 boys aged 3 and 5.

I honestly believed I was going in to receive a benign result but when the surgeon came in with the nurse I knew I was very mistaken. 

I’m now awaiting an MRI and then will likely need a mastectomy as there are lots of little bits rather than one lump. Ultrasound didn’t note anything on the lymph nodes but obviously we won’t know about that until after surgery

On the whole I’m feeling very level headed about it all apart from this feeling it’s spread to my brain already as my right eye has been feeling odd for a few weeks (obviously so much worse since diagnosis). Do you ever stop feeling/looking for signs of spread?!

My husband is really struggling to talk to me since I broke the news and has busied himself all afternoon. He says he’s angry. I want to take it all away for him. And I also now need to work out how to tell my mum who has just been given her 5 year all clear from BC. 

I guess I’m just reaching out…

Welcome to the forum , I’m sorry you’ve had to join us but we are a lovely supportive bunch who understand just how you are feeling and there’s always someone here to chat to and usually someone who’s been through similar . I was told my breast changes were likely benign and I wasn’t even given a face to face appointment to get my results , so it was a great shock to be called in and told I had cancer . It’s a very surreal experience , the first few weeks are a scary rollercoaster of emotions but I promise you it does get better . Once you know exactly what you are dealing with and the plan to treat it you will feel better . Partners deal with it in different ways and are going through their own scary journey too , they are not always in the best place to support us .I had invasive ductal cancer grade 2 also ,8 years on now big still remember how it feels . We are here for support and a chat . Best wishes Jill x

mac33 sorry you find yourself on here bcn is here for you and we all are too please do look at all bcn can help support you both with, younger women with bc and when your husbands ready do share the bcn website with him so he feels included and useful in helping, it’s a shock for them too and everyone absorbs the news differently and deals with it differently there are no right or wrongs but please both of you lean on bcn and use bcn support as much or as little as you need we’re here :two_hearts: :two_hearts: :sparkles: :sparkles: Shi xx

Hi,

Yes It’s very hard this initial bit, waiting not knowing what the path up ahead is going to be. Almost the worst part i would say. 

I found looking for ‘positive stories’  really helped me. Type in positive stories in the search bar and you will  find a few on here and on other various forums.  Just remember most of the people who are doing well are off this forum and living their lives. My oncologist also said this when i kept asking about success rates.  I found one woman who said she vowed to come back on here once a year to let newcomers know 9 years later she was living a healthy full life, which was great to read. Have a search about, i found it does help. Best of luck, one step at a time. x