Diagnosed with breast cancer at 29 whilst pregnant

Hello, 

I have recently been diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 29. I am also currently 18 weeks pregnant. Various different treatment options have been discussed, however because I am pregnant not all are safe for baby.

Therefore I am having to have a single mastectomy on the 18th September. They have explained they will not reconstruct straight away due to the risks in terms of general anaesthetic and being pregnant. Obviously I want my baby to be safe and this is the most important thing. However I am terrified of waking up with just one breast. 

I am nervous about how I’ll cope in terms of body image. The delayed reconstruction and what that would actually look like. In the same breath I want the cancer gone but I’m scared! 

Has as anyone else found themselves in a similar position? How did you cope with the sudden change? 

So sorry for your situation Ivy.  I’m sorry I can’t advise personally but I am sure others will be along shortly who can offer more help and support.

Love n hugs to you and the baby :heart: :heart:

Hello ivy,  so sorry to hear your news,  must be especially hard being pregnant too and so young.   There is a page on here for younger people I think. So you may find more help there.  But in the meantime please feel free to chat on here, we’ve all been or are still going through all this too so fully understand.  I had a single mastectomy in May 2018…i opted for no recon and still remain flat but this was my personal choice and I am much oldwr than you.  My nurses showed me photos of various types of surgeries and recons and it really helped me with decisions and understanding what to expect.  Perhaps ask them if they can do the same?   I am quite happy being flat but I was only an A cup before all this so it’s not too dissimilar. The op itself was very quick, in at 9am and home at 2.30pm and I recovered quickly and have full movement again. Obviously being pregnant they’ll want to keep an extra eye on you but you’ll be in good hands.

Maybe pop onto the Going through treatment section on here to, there is a surgery part and will be others who can help.

Take care… If I can help anymore please ask

Kip

Hope your surgery went well. I just wanted to say that although a bit older than you I was diagnosed a few months ago at 39 and had a baby I was breastfeeding at the time so that was all a bit traumatic - not the same as you but think I understand a bit how you must be feeling. 

I had mastectomy with reconstruction at same time - happy to chat with you about that though for when they’re prepared to do it. 

X