Diagnosed with her2 positive breast cancer 3 weeks ago

Hi I’m currently undergoing loads of tests prior to starting chemo (Taxotere, Carboplatin, Herceptin, Perjeta) hopefully in 8 days time providing I can get all the necessary pre-treatments and tests done. My tumour is growing very fast and several axillary lymph nodes are affected. Would appreciate any advise on ways to minimise the side effects of the chemo. What should I be eating etc before and during treatment?

Thanks in anticipation 

BOD 2019

Hi I’ve only had my first chemo yesterday. I’ve been told to drink lots of water xx

Hi

I’ve just had my 3rd cycle, I was advised to continue eating a healthy diet and eat what you fancy - obviously within reason, I was also advised to follow the pregnancy diet - you know, no runny eggs, raw fish, pre washed salad etc; that’s because your immunity takes a bit of a battering. 

Have a look at the monthly chemo threads, you will pick up lots of tips on them but keep in mind we all react different, some people find it easier to eat several snacks throughout the day whereas I need to eat 3 full meals and no snacks otherwise I become nauseous. Drink plenty of fluids, in particular the day before, chemo day and the day after, helps plump up the veins and also flush out the toxins quicker. Go for a walk daily even if you don’t feel like it, it really does help with the fatigue.

Make sure you keep applying skin cream - chemo dries out your skin, a lot of people use Aveeno but everyone has their favourite. Take care of your feet, keep them well moisturised and avoid shoes that rub, especially new shoes (get someone else to break them in for you), infections can occur from blisters, cracked heels etc and you don’t want that.

Main thing is if you suffer any side effects let your chemo team know, they will prescribe something to counteract them - you might feel like you’re going to rattle with all the pills but remember it isn’t for ever, chemo is hard enough without suffering unnecessarily from side effects.

There’s a lot to take in initially but you will soon pick it up - be kind to yourself and look at threads and ask as many questions as you want - there will always be someone who can answer you.

Best of luck

Joemic x