Diagnosed yesterday & cant get my head around it

Yesterday my world felt apart. Im 44yrs old & was reffered to the Breast Clinic from my GP as one breast was larger than the other & tender in certain areas.

The Doctor at the hospital wasnt too sure after examing me so she asked her boss the Consultant to check me over. He wasnt too sure, so be safe he thought it best to do a mamogram and scan. It came back there was calcifications … From this point its all a bit blurry. . I went back to the consultant who confirmed there was a mass, I asked if this means cancer, she said yes! I was given a macmillian nurse to help me through the whole process & had a core biopsy with scan guidance (sorry I cant think of the scan name, its like they do when your pregant using the gel) too, then back for another mamogram. Ill get the results next Thursday where Ill meet the nurse but not the consultant as hes on holiday till the week after.

I feel in limbo waiting around. They spoke about mastectomy, chemo & raidoptherapy. Im so scared, cant eat as I feel sick with worry. I dont know anyone whos had breast cancer & would really love to hear from people who have. I need to talk but dont know what questions to ask.

Hello Richtina - welcome to the forum .Well you are certainly not on your own - there are lots of us out there who have been through or are going through this too and can totally understand how you feel .The first few weeks are horrible so much anxiety and uncertainty but it does get easier once you know exactly what you are dealing with and have a treatment plan in place .There are quite a few ladies on the forum who have been diagnosed over the last week .Lots of support and advice here .Best wishes .Jillx

Hi Rictina,
Sorry to see you here, but glad you found us, we’ve all been through this to varying degrees & you’re not alone.
You are in the most difficult stage at the moment, as you’ve had the shock of being told it’s bc, but the horrible uncertainty of waiting for it all to be confirmed.
Honestly, it does get better when you’re treatment plan is confirmed & you know where you’re going with it all.
Do take someone with you when you go to the appointment as it’s hard to take things in when you’re so anxious. It also helps to take a list of questions, something to write on &/or ask if you can record the consultation in your phone. Most drs/nurses are happy to do this as long as they agree first of course.
Do use the main bcc site here for information & do avoid general googling as it only makes anxiety a whole lot worse. There is a time & place for it, but in the early days we generally don’t know enough to sort the wheat from the chaff so to speak, so it’s best to rely on your team or use reputable sites, like this one, Macmillan & NHS Choices.
There is loads of support from all of us here, from those of us where you are now & those of us through it all & out the other side.
When you start treatment, do look at the ‘going through treatment’ board where you will be able to chat & get support from others where you are & further down the road.
Sending hugs
ann x

Hi Rictina. Sorry to hear your news but glad you have found this place. I was diagnosed last week and know exactly where you are right now. Cherish the good days with a passion as it helps get through the not so good. This forum has helped me tremendously and makes you realise you are not alone with these amazing ladies who are in same place as us or been there and they know exactly how you are feeling, I certainly do. It does get easier but the anxiety is always there. Once you have a plan in place from the hospital it’s easier to get to grips with. I am waiting on surgery and right now trying not to go beyond that Take it day by day. I never thought I would be saying this as this time last week I was in melt down but it’s thanks to these lovely ladies on here that have helped me get to where I am today. Take care and speak again I am sure

Hi rictina. I got my plan same days as I was diagnosed. Didn’t sink in at all and still reading my booklets over and over. My designated bc nurse was brilliant with me and explained it all to me. I had my 2 daughters with me at the time as my hubby bless him is not good in these situations plus he has a heart condition and didn’t want to be on ccu with him if it was bad news. He is fine and we are getting there slowly . Just keep talking that’s what I do. My girls are amazing and very supportive and every day we ask how each other is feeling and how we are all coping. I started today great but not ending so well but I Will Be Fine. And the sun is shining!

Hi Jenny. I had my appointment last Thursday, and was In a similar situation to you. I have had a call today for my next appointment on Wednesday. Although I am not sleeping very well, I have been making the most of my time while no one other than hubby knows. I have had brilliant support and advice from here. Be strong. You will get through this. Well done to your GP. It will be better when you know what is happening. Big hugs. Kx

Hi Jenny. Nights/mornings are my worse. We’ll mornings really as thankfully I am sleeping. I take two calms before bed and they just take that stomach churn off a tad when you wake and turn over. Know exactly the thoughts. My mornings are easier now tears have stopped. Keep busy is my motto. I am lucky I can work remotely from home and I do a normal days work. Work is my way of coping with this thing. Your nights and mornings will get easier. Think it is a control think as us ladies like to be in control but with this we are in the hands of excellent surgeons. Stay strong, keep busy and talk it all helps but I know everybody is different. We are all strong ladies. X. Take care

Hi Rictina, I’m so pleased you found this site. It really does help getting your worries off your chest in company with others who know exactly what you are going through. I have found it a great help. I was diagnosed 30th January and had my lumpectomy on the 13th february. When I was diagnosed i had no idea how I was going to get through it however I found courage from my friends, family and reading this forum.

You are definitely in limbo stage at moment. I felt exactly same the week between my biopsy and diagnosis. I was told the same as you that they were positive it was cancer. I made the decision to tell myself I was just waiting to have it confirmed. Some people may think that’s strange and wonder why I didn’t think more positively but I actually found the news easier to take when the day came. Of course I was still heartbroken but I kind of created a sort of barrier meaning news didn’t come as such blow. My positive out it all was I was early stage and it had not spread. I was also told the cancer tested hormone receptive positive which means I was put on tamoxifan to help try and prevent future BC. Side effects aren’t brilliant but worth it if it means I have better chance of cancer not raising it’s ugly head again.

I keep everything crossed for you for next week. Please let us know how you get on and whatever your result we are all here to help you through it x

Hi Rictina

I was diagnosed nearly 3 weeks ago, I’ve had MRI to check size and have my planning/preop/ Bcn appts on Wed…booked in for surgery 19th.

I was very much like a rabbit caught in the headlights at first, it still feels really surreal, and I’ve had a couple of meltdown moments. I read little bits of the booklets daily so I have a basis for questions I wanted to ask, Ive gleaned a lot from this site and everyone who uses it ( I use Macmillan site also).

Ive lost a bit of weight as anxiety etc reduced my appetite but I gradually started to eat better as I know I’ll need to do that for healing and energy although the emotional/psychological side of this is very tiring. I go out for a walk daily.

Im told it gets easier once we have information, a treatment plan… the waiting, the unknown isn’t easy,  to say the least. Sending best wishes for Thursday.

positive vibes xhugsx Feenix

Hi Rictina, I was diagnosed a few weeks ago after a routine mammogram, everyone acts differently to news so don’t worry if you struggle more or less than anyone on here. Draw strength and information from those on here who are going through same or similar. I had the scans and then to confirm size of the calcification an MRI unfortunately I have gone from needing a lumpectomy to having a mastectomy tomorrow with a question mark as to what else is in there hence I will also have SNB to see if any spread. The worst part still,is the wait for the testing once the mastectomy is done tomorrow. Good luck with your results next week but if you have any questions ask on here. x