Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does everyone have an MRI?

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Re: Does everyone have an MRI?

Hi Michelle, yes I was home on the day of my operation,in theatre at 8.45 am and home by 3.45pm. amazing.  I feel pretty good, .only real pain is the sore throat from anaesthesia.  They took the sentinel node and 2 more which were close by, nurse said just because they were close, must admit I keep worrying about those results.  I go back on 31st may to get full results of everything and to find out what trratment next, I think definitely tamoxifen tablets but don't know about chemo/radio yet.  My her2 result is still not back as it was inconclusive from the first go.  Has the cold cap been ok?  I was told my lump was Grade 1 from initial biopsy so hoping it not upgraded.   I had an MRI scan of my breasts before op but nothing else been looked at, it's worrying but we must try not to think worst case scenario ...easier said than done.   Oh a softie is a very soft light prosthesis you get straight after op, I have been wearing it all day yesterday and today in a soft sport style post op bra from Asda onljne and it's really quite comfortable and looks good too.  Hope that's answers some questions for you, take care xxx

Highlighted

Hi Kip
Sorry I didn’t register you were having your masectomy this week, my head is all over the place. I can’t believe you are out the next day, that is brilliant, really great you are coping so well. What is a softie?! I’m assuming a soft pretend boob? When will you get the lymph node result, did they remove them all? Have you had your HER2 + result yet and when do you find out what the next treatment is? Sorry lots of questions!
I have been referred by the oncologist for a CT scan as I was quizzing her about whether it could have spread further than my lymph nodes. She said she doesn’t think it has spread as it had been caught in the early stage but I have been told I am grade three which is aggressive so I am confused again! I don’t know if I want to go through with the CT scan like everyone I only want to do it it the result is going to be good. If it came back has being elsewhere I’m not sure I or my family could cope with that. So many horrible decisions in this process aren’t there?
I am going in for my third chemo tomorrow. I’m moving onto Taxotere with the addition of herceptin (I am Her2+) and Perjeta. This will make it a long day, especially as I am cold capping.
I’m really pleased the op has gone well keep me up to date with your progress, wishing you a speedy recovery x
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Michelle, hope you are doing ok?  I had my mastectomy yesterday and was home by 3.45pm!  Feeling pretty good, one drain in and very little pain, more discomfort than anything.  Have to say haven't been too shocked to look down and see one boob and am wearing my softie today and you couldn't really tell.  Best wishes with the chemo XX 

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Michelle,. It's scary to think I am having mx on Wednesday and haven't even seen my surgeon yet, just woken up after dreamng of nothing but operations, boobs and drains!!

Highlighted

I totally get where you are coming from! I’ve never had an operation in my life and am terrified of having one. Having said that I am even more frightened of the cancer so I know I have to get on with it. But a recon is a choice and I’m not entirely sure yet. I’m also 47. After my op I’ll be having radiotherapy and I have read that it can effect the scar tissue so I might not be able to have a recon at the same time as the initial surgery. I haven’t actually spoken to a surgeon about that, it’s just what I have read. I may have to wait 12 months which might be good to give me a bit of breathing space and to see how I feel about just having the one boob! I’m on the April chemo thread and a couple of the ladies had a recon at the same time as their op and before chemo and they seem very happy with the results and haven’t suffered too much. I am undecided but probably need more info from the pro’s before I make up my mind!
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Michelle, good to hear your are dealing with the chemo ok, I have been reading other chemo threads (I just can't stop myself just in case I need it) and its good to see people have said its doable.   Seems we are doing things back to front to each other, are you having reconstruction once you get your masectomy?   I have opted not to, hard decision but just wanted the quickest easiet surgery, everyone is different though and I have spoken to two ladies, both roughly the same age as me (47) one of whom had mx and then recon and loves it (she paid privately and had the other one done at the same time and tatooed nippes too!) and the other who had straight mx and no recon and is equally as happy with the outcome so they helped me see both sides but I think I always knew I would opt for no recon.. big wuss when it comes to surgery!

Highlighted

Hi Kip, Chemo so far hasn’t been as bad as I had anticipated. I take each cycle as it comes and I believe it gets harder on the body as the cycles go on but I am grateful for having got through the first 2 without it being too awful. I am keeping my fingers crossed the next one is ok. I am HER2+ so will be starting herceptin on my next cycle of chemo.
I hope all goes well with your mastectomy, you are right the waiting is horrendous. I have been lucky that it had been pretty fast for me, a week after diagnosis I started chemo, but that week of waiting and not knowing what was happening was awful. Having said that I think because it all happened so quickly I was in shock when I had my first chemo. So much seems to have happened and I think I have been in a daze for much of it!
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Michelle21, how are you finding chemo?  I am having masectomy on 16th May so still don't know what treatment awaits.  I am ER+ but still have not had the HER2 results back yet.   I hate the waiting game, its a nightmare.

Highlighted

I know what you mean Kip, I now know more about breast cancer than I ever wanted to know.
Im now into my second cycle of chemo and feeling better that treatment has started. I will be having a mastectomy after chemo and then radiotherapy so attcking it from all directions. I was offered a full CT scan but the Onc said that it wouldn’t show up very small areas of spread and wouldn’t change the treatment plan. I still don’t know how many lymph nodes are infected and guess I won’t until after surgery. Just trying to take each day as it comes.
I hope your treatment goes well. X
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Isn't it strange how different hospitals work.  I was diagnosed (from biopsy) with Grade 1 Ductal and I went on to have an MRI of just my breasts, this came back showing the lump was slightly larger and I also have a few other "spots" in the same breast.  I was told that the MRI was to double check size and location prior to options for surgery and to see if there was anything else there.  After this I was told I needed a masectomy as a lumpectomy would not get everything and I am quite small so wouldn't have enough breast left after lumpectomy.   I always imagined breast cancer was breast cancer.. I now know there are loads of different types and the treatment is very often different for everyone.   Never thought I would become an expert in this stuff and how I wish I wasnt!

Highlighted

Thanks Ann. That's interesting...I have ductal bc. It's all so confusing at the moment. Will continue the waiting game to see exactly what this is x
Highlighted

Thanks Justine. The waiting game is awful, I feel the same as you, let’s just get on with this
Focusing on it all being over by Christmas is a good way of thinking. It’ll be out best Christmas ever! X
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Jazza,

They won’t ‘scan the lot’ if a breast mri, only, has been ordered.   A breast mri is usually part of the treatment plan for those of us with lobular bc. In my case, there was a small bit of lobular bc in the biopsy, so I had an mri. 

If the diagnosis is ductal bc, which is the most common, then a breast mri is not usually done.

ann x

Highlighted

Good luck with your appointment tomorrow Michelle21. I am in the waiting game.....waiting for Mri appointment......personally now I know what this "thing" is I want to just want to get on with it.
Have a good evening and try to relax. I am currently focusing on the hope this will all be over by Christmas 🎄 x
Highlighted

Hi Justine, I aready know ii have 2 lumps so a masectomy it is for me. I laughed at the thought of you asking for them to scan the lot! I want a full scan, I keep thinking if I was kylie minogue or the Queen (I don’t know why these 2!) I would have one!
I’ve just found out I’ve got an appt with a dr tom morning, I was expecting it to be Thursday. I’m pleased it’s tomorrow less of a wait but now I’m in a panic because they are rushing me through. X
Highlighted

Hi Michelle21,

The MRI I am waiting for is just of my breasts (not a full body one). I think I will end up with the choice of a lumpectomy or mastectomy but she wants to do the MRI to make sure there is nothing else there before a decisions regarding my treatment plan are made. If something else is there I guess a mastectomy will be my best option (this is what I remember from my diagnosis last Tuesday and this is because my lump is quite large).

I have to say when I go for the MRI I will ask if they can "scan the lot".

Justine x

Highlighted

Thanks Jo I hadn’t realised the MRI was just a scan of the breasts I had assumed it was a full body. This waiting, not knowing is just a killer. I really wish the system could speed up a bit.
Highlighted

Hi Michelle,  no they don't offer everyone an MRI , and I'm sure initially it's only of your breasts and not full body so isn't going to tell you anymore. I agree it would be great if we all had a full body scan at diagnosis for peace of mind but that's never going to happen! 

I know all this waiting about does your head in but try and trust your team , it's normal to think it's going on a rampage around your body but honestly it doesn't work like that, hearing a lymph node may be affected is frightening but in reality it's just doing its job and mopping up what's trying to escape, we have ladies here with multiple nodes affected going strong many years on! 

Hang in there, things will start moving now the bank holiday is over and you will know for sure what's happening , that helps your state of mind enormously Xx Jo 

Highlighted

Does everyone have an MRI?

I was diagnosed on Thursday, 2 lumps and at least one lymph node so will be having a mastectomy. When we asked about an MRI the Dr said only if they find 4+ lymph nodes infected after the op. I don’t know yet if I’m having chemo first then op or vice versa but like lots of others here am now started to fear that it has spread to numerous other parts of my body. I feel a MRI will give me piece of mind but can I ask to have one on that basis?