cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double mastectomy?

4 REPLIES 4
Debcully

Re: Double mastectomy?

Hi Hayley....I’m similar to you and was wondering what did you do in the end? Double or single? And have you been offered reconstruction as yet? 

Shnug

Hi Fiona 

I was searching the site for discussions on whether to go for a single or double mastectomy and came across your post from last year. I've recently been diagnosed with grade 2 invasive lobular cancer. Because it's in several places in the same breast a mastectomy is the only option. I am a 36DD. I'm also worried about reconstruction  and it looking the same. They are not offering immediate reconstruction at the moment due to the coronovirus and extended recovery period. So I would have to have this at a later date. I know some people opt for a double for various reasons. I'm 48. What did you go for in the end and was it a success? Worried is an understatement. Thanks. Hayley. 

Krysbe

Hi Fiona,

Sorry you find yourself on the forum but welcome, it is a lot to get your head round but take it one step at a time. I was diagnosed in August 2017 and had a mastectomy on my right breast with no reconstruction and it still seems surreal. At the time I wasn’t aware they would do a contralateral mastectomy on the NHS, but have now managed get an appointment for surgery on the other breast for symmetry. For me reconstruction was not a path I wanted to go down and I’m happy being flat, but you need to go with what feels right for you.

At one stage I did consider getting a tattoo, but I think you need to wait at least 12 months and as my scar is not really noticeable now I am not going to bother. 

I was given a prosthetic around 7 weeks post surgery by a very experienced fitter, who spent a long time going through different makes to find the best match (I really couldn’t tell the difference). I am a 34DD and initially wore the silicone prosthetic with a padded bra, but have now gone for a more natural look and wear a Been a Boob with a non padded bra as I find it more comfortable. From what I remember I think you can have a new prosthetic on the NHS every 2 years or before that if you loose a lot of weight or it gets damaged.

I had already gone through the menopause before being put on hormone treatment, but have ended up going through it again as the symptoms are the same. I use a Lady Care Magnet, which works wonders for me with the hot flushes, glucosamine for the aches and additional calcium for my bones.  

pastasmissus

there's a facebook group called flat friends for people who don't have reconstruction. Some of them have had a second mastectomy for symmetry.

FionaC1975

Double mastectomy?

I’ve been diagnosed with grade 1 DCIS, non-specific. Because of the size of my breast 32c and the size of the tumour I am having a mastectomy. I originally wanted a double, then the consultant advised that they would match the other one. My concern is the symmetry. I have suffered with eating disorders for over 20 years and my weight fluctuates, thus impacting my breast size. The fact that this is cancer isn’t even figuring with me, and I am much more concerned with the atheistic aspect. I have recently been diagnosed with bipolar 2 and am scared sh*****s about the hormone treatment for the next 8 years, which will bring on the menopause. Emotionally I’m not sure how to get through the physical change, let alone the menopause. I am 44 years old. I am not ready for the menopause and am thinking should I have asked for a double mastectomy. Has anyone gone through a similar experience/going through the same? My surgery date is 03 April.