Feel like a fraud and very moody and emotional

I was diagnosed with hormone receptive breast cancer last month but because its so early … 17 mm… I feel like I don’t really have cancer, that it’s not serious and I shouldn’t really be moaning about it. There are people worse off than me. I had surgery last week to remove the cancer and am waiting for the results and next steps. I have been told I will need radiotherapy and hormone treatment.

Since the surgery i have been ok. Today I have turned into a monster and am saying awful things to my husband who has looked after me all week. Is this normal?

Yes totally normal !! the emotional and physical impact of having cancer ( no matter how small)  is immense ! You have been faced with a life threatening illness it takes time to come to terms with it .x

Melville, HI,

One thing I’ve discovered through the last few years is that there is no ‘normal’, we are individual people with different, varied and complex responses to any situation. It is the beauty of being human. This is your response, it might not be the same as mine, or the woman down the road, but they are your feelings for whatever reason. It does sound to me like ‘something’ has struck you today about the situation, that maybe you aren’t putting into words and its coming out in being angry. It is a big thing, any BC diagnosis, you most certainly aren’t a fraud just because others have more advanced cancers, expect that it will make you feel on a bit of a rollercoaster sometimes. The calm rational acceptance you had at the start might not last, and yes your mood and feelings can change through the process of treatment.

Has anything changed from the ‘relief’ feeling at finding out you had an early treatable cancer ?