Grade 1 breast cancer and critical illness

45 year old and Just been diagnosed with grade 1 nst breast cancer. Going for lumpectomy next week. Really Scared but been told small Tumor doesn’t seem to have spread.

Anyone any experience of the diagnosis changing after surgery, still really worried it has spread.

What treatment can I expect after surgery?

Also anyone know if critical illness will pay out for grade 1 diagnosis I have a policy with legal and general and be big relief if did?

Thanks

Brenda

@brenda.mcivor  - Hi Brenda, a big welcome to this lovely forum, I’m very glad you have joined it but obviously very sorry for your diagnosis. I want to start by sending a big hug, as I know you are feeling as if you have just been hit by a big truck that came out of nowhere.

I had my diagnosis and treatment about 4 years ago, so I am happy to try to help with any questions, especially as you try to get your head around the diagnosis. It really is such a shock isn’t it. This is a very safe, non judgmental place where you can say what you like, offload, ask questions and just ask for support when you need it.

Let me start with critical illness cover - I also had a policy and it paid out, mine was grade 2 but I don’t remember the grade being an issue. I would definitely get in touch with them, they should have a helpline. I had to send a letter from my consultant as proof. Also see if you can find the terms and conditions from when you took out the policy as they should confirm when they L&G will pay out.

The doctors have a good idea of what they are dealing with before surgery, but only once surgery has been done can they be sure. They need to make sure they get “clear margins” round your lump - it seems to be a balancing act between taking as little as possible to maintain the breast tissue and making sure they have got it all. Sometimes it requires a second surgery.

They also usually test what is called the “sentinel node”, that is the first lymph node under your armpit. If that is clear then they don’t need to take any more out, but if they find it has spread to the nodes they will advise a node clearance. That is what I had. 

But if you can, try not to look too far ahead and second guess what might or might not be found - I have a great book that reminds us that “fears are NOT facts”, so it is best to deal with what you know. Doctors are usually very cautious and they seem to think in your case that the lump is small and has not spread - they can often tell from the ultrasound whether there are any unusual lumps under your arm pit.

The next stage after that depends on what type of BC you have. There is a new language to learn, and we are here to help you interpret it. You might have been told that your BC is hormone sensitive (ER+), or triple negative? Or maybe they haven’t told you yet. You might be given a drug such as Tamoxifen, but it really depends on your type. Your team will explain everything as you go along, and you can always contact the lovely nurses on here - their number is at the top of the page 08088006000.

Sorry, that is probably more information than you expected, but I hope it helps a bit. The diagnosis is a big shock and it’s really important that you look after your mind as well as your body. Try to take one day at a time, and be especially kind to yourself. Lots of treats and time for yourself, doing what makes you feel good. Maybe consider one of the mindful apps, such as Calm or Headspace, or a box set of something easy to watch.

Please feel free to ask any questions or chat further, anytime. I wish you all the best for your surgery, and please do keep in touch and let us know how you get on. Evie xx

Hello, welcome to the forum, 

I was diagnosed with a small breast cancer lump a couple of months ago and it was very early stage where they said I’d have a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy (three nodes removed), radiotherapy and hormone tablets. 

I had surgery within two weeks but unfortunately one of my lymph nodes had trace of cancer so I had more surgery to remove rest of my lymph nodes as a precaution to check if spread to any others as this could change my treatment. Will get my results on Thursday and hoping they are all clear. 

Best of luck with your surgery next week and hope you get some good news from it. 

Take Care x

Hi hope your ok, I had grade 2 and my cover paid out, I seem to remember them saying if it has spread past the milk ducts it is classed as critical xxx