Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grade 3 Invasive Ductal Carcinoma Breast Cancer confirmed on Thursday

26 REPLIES 26
charlotte3112

Re: Grade 3 Invasive Ductal Carcinoma Breast Cancer confirmed on Thursday

hi ElleeGee

I’m sorry that hear you’ve been back to the Breast clinic I hope it’s good news, the thought of going through everything again must be hard. I agree with your hindsight because I’ve just had lumpectomy and it’s gone ok although I’ve still not got my results or a treatment plan yet but if BC raised it head again I’d have a full mastectomy on both. 
good luck with your results 💕💕x

ELLEGEE77

I cannot help you with the lift. But I had BC 14 years ago and had a mastectomy, I wanted recon but couldn't have it until after radio as the skin can sometimes break down. I also think it's due to me having a lat dorsi flap, so they wouldn't have wanted that to become infected as then I'd have been stuck. 

Unfortunately I have been to the breast clinic today and think I have it again in the other boob. If I had the choice back then (it wasn't something I thought about) I would have had a double mastectomy, but thats me and hindsight is a wonderful thing (again its my personal choice and by no means is not what I'm telling you to do).

Good luck xx

charlotte3112

Hi Sarah50 had the drain out today wasn’t sure I was ready but consultant said all Looks ok I was quite surprised how easy it comes out. I’m seeing him on Monday although he said he may not have all the results back he wants to remove the dressings himself. At least you have a start date for Your chemo and things are moving forward, how many cycles do you need? I’m being careful with my arm although sometimes you just forget, so understand you reaching up it’s easy done. I’m not in pain just lots of tingling and waves of pins and needles it’s odd but to be honest it’s a lot easier than I thought it would be. Good luck with Chemo and I’ll let you know what my dates are once I’ve seen the consultant. Take care 🥰💕xx

Sarah50

Hi Charlotte, glad to read your op went well, hope the feeling in your arm is returning. I had my appointment with oncology, starting chemo on the 27th, keep us updated on your results, as Shi said, take care not to use your arm too much, I went to get something off the top of a unit, and regretted it the following days, its now been just over 3 weeks since op, and apart from the bruises, not in a lot of pain, still taking care not to lift heavy things, but doing more day to day.  Well hope you have a good week ahead and you get the drain taken out soon 🙂

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Step by step Charlotte 👍 you are doing great 👍 the tips and tricks are all what others kindly passed on to us all on these threads as you try and 💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻Through this as best you can 👍 everyone 👭 grabs hold of each other and never lets go 👍👭👍❤️❤️ 💕💕Shi xx

charlotte3112

Hi Shi I’ll ring the BC nurse tomorrow to ask about the numbness to my arm although I’m not worried yet. I’ve got my appointment to see my surgeon on 24th August for results from surgery which is good news. I’m hoping after seeing him I get an early appointment with oncology to get a better understanding of what my treatment plan will be. I’m hoping no chemo but because of grade, size and lymph clearance it’s looking likely but who knows. I’m hoping they’ll give me an mri just to stop me being anxious about spread, I’m going to ask anyway. 
The exercises are going ok although I do have hot flushes when doing them but I think I’m panicking about pulling something. It’ll all be a lot easier when the drains out and I’ve got a few more days of resting. In week 2 I’ll use the sticky dot idea Shi you’ve got some great tricks you should write a book. Take care 💕👍I’ll update on progress xx

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Sorry Charlotte predictive text changed ml to moon 😂😂 and great to hear to great time 🙄 sorry about that 💕💕Shi xx

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Charlotte ❤️👍 great time hear ops gone well, I’m glad you are home and getting used to your drain and bottle, yes keep watching the moon discharge, and do phone your team about the numbness, always best to check everything with your team, you are not fussing you are being vigilant and that helps them look after you ❤️ Take it steady with the post op exercises, I used coloured sticky dots on the door so I could see each day I’d reached a bit further, let yourself knit back together and no lifting or hoovering or anything like that 👍 When are you back to see team for results of op? Big ❤️💕💕Shi xx

charlotte3112

Hi Shi all done back home after Op with drain, probably doing 80ml a day so will be glad when it’s less than 40ml. I’m presuming I ring the BC nurse once it gets to that so she can take it out. Discharge was a bit chaotic because they’d put breast surgery in with other Ops Due to covid. My arm feels numb but I’m presuming that’s normal at this stage but when walking do I hold my arm up or leave it down at my side the paperwork they’ve given say complete opposites so I’m a bit confused? Anyway the breast is fine only bruised so hopefully the arm will soon feel as though it belongs to me 👍💕 thanks for your info pre Op xx

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

❤️👭❤️ Remember they have seen it all before and carried out the op before 👭 put your trust in your team ❤️ Rest up after and do things at your own pace and any concerns always tell your team ❤️💕💕Shi xx

charlotte3112

Thanks Shi good job I read your post I’ve just put lip balm and hand cream in my overnight bag 👍. I’m as ready as I’ll ever be so here goes for the morning to get this Op done. Will let you know how it goes 💕💕

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

👍 it’ll be fine, you do forget it’s sticking out of you after about a day and you soon adapt to carrying it round, hence the tie bit in the dressing gown and the pocket tip 👍 pack some anosol I know tmi but the drugs they give you for op can block you up and 😳, lip balm and hand cream for some reason hospital can dry you out 👍 sending 👭❤️For tomorrow 💕💕Shi xx

charlotte3112

Thanks Shi I’m just having the drain on the left but I’ll be doing the pillows. I’m more nervous about managing the drain than I am the cancer 🤓. I’m sure I can think of plenty of treats 🤣. Hopefully be back on here soon after the Op and let you know how it’s going 👍💕💕

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

❤️Are you having drains both sides? If it’s just one side found having drain and bottle down the side of the bed worked well, surrounded myself with pillows, lay on my back and didn’t move all night, think mine was out 3-4 days after, be gentle with yourself, give things chance to knit back together, be vigilant and any problems or something not feeling right, ring your unit 👍👍 plan a treat of a bottle of perfume or something for after 👍 found treats after every treatment helped 😁👍💕💕Shi xx

charlotte3112

Thanks Shi for the drain tips I’m sure I’ve got cardigans with pockets. I’m hoping it’s not in for long when I get home because it must be awkward to sleep with it in. I’m just relieved the Op is Thursday and this 18 day wait will be over xxx💕

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

A dressing gown with big pockets and a tie bit on the inside worked well for drains, also jacket with big internal pocket and think some have used those canvas totes to pop them in too 👍hope that helps 💕💕Shi xx

charlotte3112

Hi Sarah 

thanks for the sports bra tip I need to get organised I go for my Op on Thursday ( I can’t wait) I’ll juggle the drain bit when it comes to it, I’m sure I’ll work it out :). 
I’ve ordered all sorts of bras and none of them seem comfy. Great news he’s got it all out and your margins are clear it must be a huge relief and good news while on holiday. Hope your oncology went well today I did think about you, and hope the chemo is getting started soon. I’m 3 weeks behind you so I’ll be hoping it all goes ok for you, any tips on chemo do’s and don’ts once will be very welcome. Take care and look forward to hearing updates on your chemo journey 😉 xx

Sarah50

Hi Charlotte,

Sorry for not getting back before, but we had no internet up on the north coast, just got home this evening.  I know there is nothing anybody can say, about the worrying, its natural, but it also sounds that you are taking control, seeing your original consultant.  Ref op and sports bra, I put it on straight away in hospital, and have to wear them all the time for 3 weeks, they actually help a lot.  I didnt have any drains put in, so not sure how that would work with the bras, maybe somebody else can tell you about that.  Its now just over 2 weeks from my op, still quite bruised, but swelling gone now, and have full feeling in the breast, so pleased about that.  Had a call while on holiday from the surgeon to give results, and it was good news, they got it all out, and nothing showing in lymph nodes, but seeing oncologist tomorrow to discuss chemo, due to it being grade3, Im glad its this soon, so I know what im going to be facing going forward.  

Let me know how it goes ok, will be thinking of you, take care x

charlotte3112

Hi Sarah50

im so pleased it went well that’s really reassured me (apart from the wire bit 🤓) it sounds like you are really positive I’m ok with the lumpectomy I’m terrified of the axillary clearance I’m hoping the surgeon leaves some nodes because I worried about lymphodema. The BC nurse has already told me to prep for chemo I was hoping it would just be Radio and hormone. I’m terrified they miss something again, as I was originally diagnosed as negative by the radiographer at the hospital that did an emergency ultrasound scan! But I knew it needed a second opinion so had to pay for private mammogram and scans. I’m now back at the hospital that did the False negative but at least I’m with the same consultant that diagnosed me. I just need to move on and deal with this now, although I was gutted it’s grade 3 and in lymph’s. Your surgery sounds amazing did you wear the sports bra straight away or did it take a few days, they’ve said I’ll have a drain so god knows what I’ll be wearing leaving hospital. I’ll have one boob small and the other big I’m naturally a 34E but he’s reducing the cancer boob he said there’s enough even though the tumour is 4 cm🤣 which I’m good with. I’m counting down days now and have to have covid test 3 days before admittance so shielding. I will let you know how it goes on 13th as you can see I’m doing the 4.30am wake-up and worry stage. Enjoy Scotland it’s a lovely place and good luck with post op on 10th can you let me know your treatment moving forward, because I’m dreading chemo and still hoping for just radio but who knows. Take care and before you know it you’ll be doing star jumps 🥰👍xx

Sarah50

Hi Charlotte, I had my surgery on the 24th, all went really well, was out on the same day, I had the lumpectomy and 2 centinel lymph nodes removed, no issue with mobility in arm, or numbness, been on paracetamol for pain, and the sports bra is the saviour as it helps a lot with the pain, as does the lovely heart pillow I got given to put between boob and arm. I have been very tired , but that's from the anaesthetic, I went back to work half days from Wednesday, I get my post op results on Monday the 10th, I'm actually away in Scotland now on holiday for a week, as see this really as the last chance to get a week away before the next chapter of the journey stars, to tell you the truth having the wire inserted the day before the op, was the worst part. I had my dressings change on Thursday and that was the first time I saw the results of the op, really neat scar around the nipple and another one under arm, it's still very bruised and swallon but that's expected. I didn't have any surgery to the other one, as was not needed, but when I had a further meeting with the surgeon she confirmed that the procedure she was going to do, IwI not need surgery to the other boob, and she was right, once the swelling goes, everything should be ok. Try not to worry about the op,. They are all fantastic, good luck with It, and let me know how it goes xx

charlotte3112

Hi Sarah50

ive just been reading through posts as I’ve been diagnosed the same as you. I’m due for surgery on 13th Aug lumpectomy and the consultant is doing a reduction same time. I think I’m only getting reduction on cancer breast (left) then going back for the other after treatment. I’d rather have all the Op at the same time But I’m going with what he’s said. I was wondering are you through surgery now and did you have the lift on both and how did you get on with ongoing treatment? I know it’s lots of questions but if I have to do chemo I’ll be lopsided for nearly a year 😳. I hope  your staying positive and getting through this 😘xx

Sarah50

Thanks PeggyCat, didnt really think of that aspect of it. I have an appointment with the doctor on thursday, if theres any chance it getting put back because of it, then I will just get the bc done, as all I want at the moment is to have it removed.

PeggyCat
Community Champion

Hi Sarah, 

One of the benefits of having the lift done at the same time is that cosmetic ops are obviously seen as less urgent when the surgeons need to deal with immediate cancer treatment. You might find yourself on a waiting list then get bumped if more urgent cases need the surgery time if you leave it until later. Not a decision I had to make but just what I heard from others going through treatment. Good luck with the decision. Xx

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Sarah, think you have to call the number at the top and it’s option on there for the someone like me support 👍 whatever your decision, it must be yours, it’s what you feel is right for you ❤️💕💕Shi xx

Sarah50

Thanks Shi, Im new to the forum, been looking for the someone like me, but cant find it, can you point me to it, thanks in advance, and have a great day x

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Sarah, I had same option and just got the one with bc sorted, I’m still not level because I thought I’ll sort out later as just so focused on getting the bc out, I should have had the levelling up at same time, it’s all done in one op then, just wanted to post so you can make your decision on what’s right for you. It’s hard making decisions when you’ve just been diagnosed, do use the someone like me option on here too, that could also help with your decision on op. Hope this helps 💕💕Shi xx

Sarah50

Grade 3 Invasive Ductal Carcinoma Breast Cancer confirmed on Thursday

Hi

I saw my consultant on Thursday last week and, got the results Grade 3 Invasive Ductal Carcinoma, just under 3cm, so now waiting for operation at the end of the month, followed by chemo and radio.  

I have been told it will be a lumpectomy and they have offered to do a lift of the other breast also.  At first I said, no , just deal with the cancer, but after taking some time out I have decided I do want it done.  Has anybody gone through this, or has decided not to have the lift done. Or have had the lift done at a later date? for some reason I got told that they dont like doing it after, due to the radio, im totally confused about that.  Any feedback will be great, thank you x