Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graves Disease, thyroid problems and starting treatment soon

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Re: Graves Disease, thyroid problems and starting treatment soon

Hi Ladies 

When I was undergoing treatment, I asked the radio oncologist about radio affecting the thyroid, she said because of where I was having the radio, it should not affect the thyroid. 
Biochemically stress is linked to cancer via the inflammatory pathway. 
High levels of continual secretion of cortisol, causes long term inflammation, which sends messages to the oncocells, which start misbehaving. 
Lots of luck with your treatment ladies 

Highlighted

It is very horrible and frightening to be diagnosed with cancer. You'll get lots of support here from all the ladies who have been diagnosed before us. I was diagnosed beginning of December. I've had a lumpectomy and I am now waiting to start radiotherapy. 

I asked the oncologist if having radiotheraphy would "set off" my thyroid and change my levels she seemed to think not but we'll see. I'm not convinced it won't. I have a big red patch of skin where my thyroid is on my neck. I mentioned it to the oncologist she said "it's probably stress. It'll settle". I'm not sure she understood but there isn't a lot I can do about it xx

Highlighted

I did wonder to be honest. I’ve had graves on and off for about 5-6 years. I know stress can trigger graves and cancer. Maybe the two are related. I feel so numb at the moment and felt I’ve been dealt a horrid hand on the heath front. Be interesting to see if our cancers will be the same? Xx

Highlighted

Hi scared75

Sorry you find yourself here. I know it's a very worrying time. There isn't a lot I can say to make you feel better at the moment. All the waiting around is not very nice and drives you mad but try to keep busy if you can, that helps xx

Do you think your thyroid problems might be related to your diagnosis?

I was wondering if mine was because I didn't take any supplements or do much to help myself. I'm supposedly euthyroid for about a year now. I had a blood test in May which showed all my levels to be "normal". Xx

Highlighted

Hi lovely. I too have Graves’ disease. Had 4 bouts and currently on carbimazole. I found out yesterday I have two cancerous lumps in my right breast and lots of little ones they haven’t biopsied. Waiting for biopsy results next Thursday but they are certain it hasn’t spread to my lymph nodes xx

Highlighted

Hi monicanatura

Thank you for your reply and sharing your info x

Highlighted

Hi Shabiah 

I have congenital hypothyroidism, I was born without a thyroid gland. 
I underwent treatment in 2018, I had 4x EC, then 12 weekly Paclitaxal. 
I tolerated the chemo very well and got through it ok. 
My thyroid issue is different to yours, however I thought I would have issues with chemo, and I didn’t. 
Hope that helps 

Highlighted

Graves Disease, thyroid problems and starting treatment soon

Hi All

I am having my first appointment with oncology this week. I also have Graves Disease, is there anyone who has been through treatment who also has thyroid problems (over active) like me? I'd be interested to know how you got on with your treatment if you wouldn't mind sharing your opinions. Thank you