cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Half way ultrasound

9 REPLIES 9
Amy1988

Re: Half way ultrasound

Hi. Just wanted to let you know what my consultant said about the ultrasound and chemo. She said shes really happy with how the tumour in the left breast has responded to treatment so far and that although they can't measure it, she thinks it feels a lot smaller to her anyway. I'm seeing her again in 2 weeks so I think she'll most probably do another check up and I've also got an mri scan coming up too Apparently the breast still has 'abnormalities' in it but it doesn't look as bad as before. I'm feeling a lot happier now, knowing that things are going in the right direction. How are you all getting on? 

Evie-S
Community Champion

Amy - thanks for your kind wishes. I think we all worry/panic about new pains/lumps/marks, we somehow have to find a way to deal with it, some days that is easier than others.

I wish you all the best for the rest of chemo, then your op and radio. Do ask if you have any more questions I or others can help with. Evie xx

Rockstarchic

It is a worrying time and yes I remember wanting to just get rid of it . My point is sometimes the medical scare us a bit to much for me just knowing I had cancer the word the meaning of it freaked me out . Your not alone and your right partial response is better than none . I have friends who full response and it’s come back but doing very well with treatments I’m not so frightened any more it does get easier in a blink of an eye chemo will be over and the next step will happen sending big hugs xx

Amy1988

Hi rockstar chic. Thanks for your reply. Mine has definitely softened too but it did worry me when they said they couldn't measure the tumour. I'm a terrible worrier! But I've got to tell myself, partial response is better than no response at all. I just want to hurry up and finish chemo then get mastectomy over with then it's radiotherapy. I have no idea what to expect from that! I'm glad to hear you're still doing well. And it might not ever come back but if it did treatment is always advancing. How are things for now?

Amy1988

Evie. I'm glad you're getting on ok now and you're not going through the treatment anymore. I'm counting down the days now until my chemo finishes then it will be mastectomy then radiotherapy. I want to get back to normal asap.I can imagine how stressful it must be waiting for your check up again. I'm a hypochondriac so any marks or pains I panic about lol. But its reassuring that they keep an on us after this. I really hope your mammogram goes well for you. You've given me good advice, not muddled at all. I really appreciate it. I will let you know what my consultant says about my ultrasound. They said she might discuss it with me sooner if needed but otherwise it will be in 2 weeks before my next round of chemo 

Rockstarchic

Hi Amy wanted to share something with I was diagnosed April 2014 with a 31mm lump in my right breast and one tumor in lymph node I had chemo first they changed my regime early so had four taxotere chemo after two fec . My tumor but not much but it did soften when chemo finished and after operation it revealed all cells had died and left a husk I think that’s the outer coating . My point is I was told I had partial response . My onco told  me it would probably come back to well six and a half years on still here albeit a lot ailments after treatment but still here ❤️

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi Amy - I’m glad I made some sort of sense, thank you for your kind words. It very much sounds as if chemo is working if your consultant also thought it felt softer - maybe that’s the chemo breaking it up, or starting work on it. You are asking lots of good questions, so do ask your team to explain further. Write them all down before you speak to anyone so you don’t forget any.

Thanks so much for asking about me, I appreciate that. I finished treatment in 2017, had chemo then mastectomy and implant then radiotherapy and now Tamoxifen. I had so much support from this forum during my treatment that I wanted to try to give something back to the forum and others. I’m now coming up to my annual mammogram and dreading it, it just takes me right back to my original diagnosis. I may be able to suggest ways to cope to others, but I’m not so good at taking my own advice!!

I’d be interested to hear what your nurse/doctor says about your chemo, and my apologies if I have given you a muddled or wrong explanation - but I do remember something similar happening in my case, and that it was totally expected/normal. Evie xx

Amy1988

Hi evie. Thank you so much for your reply. What you're saying does make sense, I never really thought about it that way. Maybe the older the tumour is it maybe more stubborn! I was happy that the smaller one has disappeared but I think because my consultant had told me the larger tumour felt softer and smaller to her, I was expecting it to be confirmed at the ultrasound. But they have told me it feels softer and things are 'going in the right direction'. I think I will speak to a nurse, I have so many questions. How are you doing now? Are you still having treatment? I hope things are ok for you and I'm always here for a chat too

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi Amy1988 - first of all a big hug coming your way. It’s not at all surprising you feel low/lost - so please don’t feel you need to apologise for offloading or coming on here to chat.

You might want to call the nurses on here, or chat things through with your BCN or medical team to get more of an explanation. But in the meantime I will share what I remember from something similar that happened during my chemo - I’m not medical, so please don’t treat it as gospel, but it might help reassure you that chemo is doing its job. I remember being told that chemo attacks the new faster growing cells best, so it should hit any new stray cancer cells in the body, and that is why we also lose our hair because it is new/fast growing cells. It then, I believe, helps to break up older cancer cells, then surgery is there to get rid of what is left. So your smaller lump was probably a newer lump and the bigger one older. I had a similar situation to you and it made sense to me at the time, but not being medical I have probably explained it very badly.

Keep chatting on here Amy if we can help in any way, any time, any question or if you just need someone to listen. My very best wishes, Evie xx

Amy1988

Half way ultrasound

Hi. I had my ultrasound today. They said the small tumour in my right breast has gone, so I'm pleased about that. But the large tumour in my left breast they're unsure if that's shrunk. They said there's been 'partial response' to chemo as the tumour feels softer. But I'm just getting worried all over again! I was thinking/ hoping they could tell me if it was smaller today but I think I'm just feeling low because they couldn't tell me that. On the plus side, my joint pain has improved. Not feeling 100% but ok. But they did tell me today that my consultant might want to change my chemo. Again, really hoping they don't because its fear of the unknown all over again! Sorry, I'm just feeling a bit lost now