Half way ultrasound

Hi. I had my ultrasound today. They said the small tumour in my right breast has gone, so I’m pleased about that. But the large tumour in my left breast they’re unsure if that’s shrunk. They said there’s been ‘partial response’ to chemo as the tumour feels softer. But I’m just getting worried all over again! I was thinking/ hoping they could tell me if it was smaller today but I think I’m just feeling low because they couldn’t tell me that. On the plus side, my joint pain has improved. Not feeling 100% but ok. But they did tell me today that my consultant might want to change my chemo. Again, really hoping they don’t because its fear of the unknown all over again! Sorry, I’m just feeling a bit lost now

Hi Amy1988 - first of all a big hug coming your way. It’s not at all surprising you feel low/lost - so please don’t feel you need to apologise for offloading or coming on here to chat.

You might want to call the nurses on here, or chat things through with your BCN or medical team to get more of an explanation. But in the meantime I will share what I remember from something similar that happened during my chemo - I’m not medical, so please don’t treat it as gospel, but it might help reassure you that chemo is doing its job. I remember being told that chemo attacks the new faster growing cells best, so it should hit any new stray cancer cells in the body, and that is why we also lose our hair because it is new/fast growing cells. It then, I believe, helps to break up older cancer cells, then surgery is there to get rid of what is left. So your smaller lump was probably a newer lump and the bigger one older. I had a similar situation to you and it made sense to me at the time, but not being medical I have probably explained it very badly.

Keep chatting on here Amy if we can help in any way, any time, any question or if you just need someone to listen. My very best wishes, Evie xx

Hi Amy wanted to share something with I was diagnosed April 2014 with a 31mm lump in my right breast and one tumor in lymph node I had chemo first they changed my regime early so had four taxotere chemo after two fec . My tumor but not much but it did soften when chemo finished and after operation it revealed all cells had died and left a husk I think that’s the outer coating . My point is I was told I had partial response . My onco told  me it would probably come back to well six and a half years on still here albeit a lot ailments after treatment but still here