Have you made any diet changes since diagnosis? Supplements etc

Hi

Just wondering what if any dietary changes people have made since diagnosis/treatment?  I have read quite a few books and information in different diets but curious to see what others are doing 

I have gone from vegetarian to vegan, low carbs, no sugar, no alcohol.   Taking extra calcium/tumeric and a-z vitamins, green tea etc.   So far it hasn’t been much effort on my part.   

I must admit I was a social drinker, often most evenings before diagnosis.  I didn’t realise the links between alcohol and BC.  I don’t think it is publicised at much as it should be.

Claire 

Hi Claire, 

I am still eating very healthy, I’m looking at the keto diet. I’ve read research that it is meant to be really good. Have a browse at this lady’s website dawnwaldron.com 

Regarding alcohol, I got told by my oncologist that I could have a glass. But, I have also read the link between alcohol and BC too. 

Ally xx 

Hi Bookishgirl, I made quite a few changes after diagnosis.  I quit dairy and alcohol (no more than one unit per month, if that, and I don’t miss it at all).  I also switched to whole grain plant based, increasing whole fruit and veg, in particular raw and avoiding processed foods, sugar and starchy carbs.   Here’s my blog if you want to read what I’m doing:  lifeafterlola.com/. 

Hi ladies, changes to diet is so personal and can start quite a fiery discussion. I changed my diet as I felt I needed the push to lose weight. The amount of chemo you are given is worked out on body mass. ( height plus weight) and the larger you are the more toxins are used, and the more side effects you may therefore experience. I moved towards a more plant/ grain based diet, getting rid of red meat, farmed fish and mass grown vegs which I had read were full of hormones and chemicals. Useless for me I felt, when I was to go on a hormone inhibitor drug, and I was to be pumped full of chemicals so could do without extra unhelpful ones! I used the two recipe books from the Royal Marsden and Maggies Centre which are full of excellent recipes which all work. There is a lot of information in them on the benefits of various foodstuffs, recipes for the stages of treatment - to tempt a poor appetite, to add energy, to soothe mouth ulcers etc etc. I lost 22 lbs. during treatment, and felt very well. Fresh, home made soup was my lifesaver on chemo, as were fresh berries and frozen pineapple for my poor taste buds! The drug Letrozole puts weight on around the middle, so I am still careful about foods. I did feel that the treatment would take a lot out of me ( and I was so right) and I therefore should be as fit as possible for what was to come. Exercise also became part of my routine, even when on chemo and rads. Any supplements should be run by your Onco to make sure there is no clash with the treatments. Hope this gives another dimension for you to consider. X