Hello

Just been diagnosed after a mammogram and biopsy, 6mm evasive grade 2, not spread…am scheduled for surgery 15th august have opted for full removal of my breast, i just want it out.

struggling at the moment and trying to be strong, more confused and annoyed than upset…weird emotions when people expect you to dissolve in a heap of tears and go to pieces.  I am also profoundly deaf and have glaucoma and Rheumatoid arthritis (i am falling apart lol) age 59…lots of different stories about outcome and survival rate…from how i see it (or it reads) we have 5 years? Please tell me there are people who have lived good long lives after being diagnosed am i being silly?

You are not being silly you are in shock . I am not sure where you get the 5 year thing from I was given 80 per cent odds of 10 year survival and I have three close friends who have just been signed off after 10 years … to all intents and purposes they are cancer-free . Are you sure about the mastectomy ? If your cancer is small and has not spread to lymph nodes it seems v drastic and TBH unnecessary  please think about it . Am shortly to begin radiotherapy after lumpectomy and chemo am very glad I opted not to have mastectomy and survival chances pretty much the same