Help with post operative scars

Hi, I’m due to have a mastectomy and reconstruction using tummy fat 2 weeks today, I was wondering if any ladies on here have had the same operation and if so could you provide me with any tips/products/items of clothing that might make the hospital stay and the recovery time at home as comfortable as possible, I’m also interested to know of any creams/lotions that have been successfully used to aid the healing of the scars, many thanks ?

Hi Gabriel,

My mum and I have been looking for similar items for a family friend who has her surgery in two weeks time. We’re currently putting together a basket for her and we’ve decided on a few things based on recommendations and research: Here’s a list of products we’ve found:

I hope the surgery goes well!

Anything lose, cotton and front fastening is a god send. Take a pillow for the journey home to put between you and the seat belt and get whoever is driving you to try and avoid potholes as they hurt like hell. Make sure you get sent home with pain relief as I wasn’t and had to go to my GP the day after surgery to get some. Good luck love. Hope all goes well xx

Hi,

I had a DIEP reconstruction & reduction to the remaining breast almost 6 weeks ago. I was advised to use aveeno or bio oil once the wounds had healed. My skin didn’t like the bio oil but aveeno gave instant relief to the itchy skin below the abdominal scar.

Definitely a V pillow, an extra long phone/tablet charger. My hospital provided a bag with a little love heart shaped pillow for the drains. When I had my mastectomy last year I was given a pillowcase to put it in. I found a stretchy vest top to step into with pyjama bottoms were easy to get on & off, it leaves your arms free for blood pressure monitoring & the cannula. Bra extenders which are really cheap on eBay. By the end of the day my bra feels tight so the extenders are brilliant! The nurse told me to buy the support pants from primark, big ones that almost look like a swimming costume!!

Hope it all goes well, wishing you a speedy recovery xx

Ignore the post below girls…from ‘Moore’. I’ve reported it already 

Hi Gabriel,

I am in the same situation as you (though no surgery date yet) and I am sure I saw all the info. you are seeking on another thread. If I can find it, I’ll be back here with the link:).

xxxx

Hi Gabriel,

I’m getting on really well thanks. The scars have all healed nicely. I’m doing usual daily stuff around the house. Driving has been fine. I managed the whole day walking around at chessington last weekend, I didn’t go on any rides! I’ve found the recovery ok to be honest. The first 2 weeks are the worst, more in a frustrating way though. Is your op this week? Xx

Hi Marla,

I think if you had to return to work you possibly could. Everyone deals with it differently. I still have pain if I stretch my arm in a certain way. I think you need to be kind to yourself & think of yourself & make sure you go back to work only when you’re ready xx