Hematomas after MRI guided biopsy

Hi there,

I am back to posting after a few weeks of silence. As recap: Diagnosed with IDC grade 2 mid-July. Lots of tests followed as my breasts are dense and active. On Aug. 14th I was told affected area was only that tumour on my left breast. I had a lumpectomy on Aug. 16th and two lymph nodes removed, which came back clear.

Now, things were going well, but six weeks after surgery I started developing a redness around the wound area. I went back to breast unit and was told it looked like a skin reaction or allergy but was given antibiotics just in case. Redness kept getting worse and wound opened up, oozing a bit of yellowish serum. I was then given a different type of antibiotics for 7 days and was told if it didn’t start getting better on the second day I would need to stay in hospital for intravenous antibiotics. My radiotherapy plan was cancelled. This made me really anxious as I had read RT is most effective within a 3-month window after surgery.

After the second type of antibiotics, things were getting much better. I finished last Monday but  I have started noticing some red dots again, discomfort and hardness in the same area. I also had an MRI-guided biopsy 5 days before my surgery which left my breast really bruised and some kind of mass/swelling inside (size of a plum). I was told it was a hematoma and I would resolve with time. It’s still there, same size as far as I can tell.

Today I saw one of the surgeons again and he ordered blood tests to rule out infection and ultrasound. He thinks the new hard bit is also a hematoma. My radiotherapy has now been postponed until the 31st of October but I am anxious about this situation not resolving and having further delay in my RT.

Was wondering whether anybody has had issues with MRI biopsies and hematomas here.

Sorry for the lengthy post!

Cristina

Cristina, well done on getting through your surgery.  I had all sorts of swelling and bruising after surgery.   Hematomas appear to be a type of bruising (yes I did google images to check as these things don’t bother me to look at) and should resolve within 4-5weeks.  I had a delay on my radiotherapy after surgery because of the Christmas holidays and they don’t seem to get too concerned about this.  It’s probably worth posting your message in “ask the nurses” or “going through treatment > surgery” on this forum as your question is quite specific and may not get picked up on the diagnosed thread very easily.  Keep an eye on it and ring your breast care nurse if its worrying you. It’s really hard to not worry about everything, I know. xxxx