High Grade DCIS in right breast

I have recently been diagnosed with breast cancer and had a bi-opsy.  Ever since I’ve had the bi-opsy and had a small marker placed in the area of the cancer I have had terrible nausea day and night.  

I have High Grade DCIS in my right breast (27mm).  On my first meeting with my consultant, he said we will be doing ‘the wire’.  I was somewhat overwhelmed by all the information given to me on our first meeting and was in shock and unable to speak.  Although in my head I was saying no I’m not having that.  I felt quite upset by the fact I was not given a choice.

I have since been to my pre-op assessment and had a total meltdown explaining to the nurse why ‘the wire’ is not for me.  She totally got where I was coming from, which is the constant worry and fear of the next mammogram and I most likely wouldn’t go for any other mammograms for fear of the result. 

I went for my second meeting with my consultant although he was off on compassionate leave and the consultant I had was not really interested in how I felt as a person and the cloud of worry and fear I would be living with and what I can mentally deal with.  He was of the opinion ‘the wire’ is the way to go and we were going over the same ground three or four times after which I said I don’t think we are really getting anywhere.  Whilst I appreciate that is obviously the best treatment in their eyes, it would hugely impact on how I would feel for the rest of my life.

The consultant said to me that if the cancer did come back, ‘you can pop in and we’ll take a bit more out’, REALLY - I DON’T THINK SO!  

For me I would like a double mastectomy with reconstruction which greatly reduces the chances of reoccurance and for me I would have total peace of mind knowing I had done all I could do to be rid of this cancer although I am totally aware this is not a 100% a fail safe option.

Now still with the nausea no better I now have to wait until the 25/1/19 for my next appointment with my original consultant.

Just wondered if anyone felt the same way as I do and if you got your preferred option?

Dear shadowfax

I feel so sorry that you are feeling as you do - a cancer diagnosis is hard enough to get your head around without feeling unheard and un-cared for in terms of how you feel about your proposed treatment. I’m glad you have found this forum and can talk to us on here.

My experience is different in some ways to yours and similar in others. Firstly it was all so quick - “you’ve got cancer and we can either do a mastectomy or a lumpectomy” . WTF I thought? Unlike you, I immediately opted for the lumpectomy as I understood that the outcomes are likely to be the same so i didn’t want to lose a breast for no good reason. But there was very little time allowed to process the diagnosis and to make a decent rational decision, and I’m imagining you feel really steamrollered into it all. I could so easily have opted for the mastectomy route with no real thought, and would certainly have regretted it afterwards. You need more processing time and more information.

I hope that when you have your next meeting with your consultant you can get some quality information as to why they prefer the route that  they are suggesting and what the advantages, if any, there would be in a mastectomy. My understanding is that is they don’t advocate a mastectomy then there really isn’t any point in having one, other than for the mental peace of mind that you mention. Take a list of questions with you so that whatever route you go down you feel listened to and better informed. One of the things that I and others have noted when we start on this blooming cancer journey is the lack of control that we feel in the early stages after diagnosis, but that this does improve as time goes on and we learn more about it all. X

Hi Shadowfax,
As Optimissy says.
The whole thing is overwhelming when first diagnosed, but it does all settle down.
I had the wire, my bc was small, so to locate it for surgery, a guide wire was inserted to locate so the surgeon could locate the tumour. It was quite straightforward, not in any way painful & meant I had the least invasive surgery possible to get rid of the tumour. I’m now left with just a barely there 2 inch scar.
Do get more information, write down what you need to ask & ask, ask, ask.
As far as treatment outcomes are concerned, depending on the diagnosis, outcomes are just as successful for the least invasive surgeries, with a better cosmetic result & lesser risk of post op complications. This is why the surgeon will recommend this.
You can also ask for a second opinion, if you’d feel this could help.
It might be an idea to talk it through with the helpline here, the number is on fhe web page.
It will be ok.
ann x