Hit me with your top tips (please)

Evening all

I was diagnosed with grade 3 breast cancer at Christmas and start chemotherapy (Docetaxel and Carboplatin) with anti-HER2 injections (Trastuzumab and pertuzumab) next week (13/1) for six cycles, to be followed by a mastectomy. I’m planning on cold capping, or at least giving it a shot. Obviously there is a lot to read on BC, some of it helpful, some of it not so much, but I know everyone is different so I’m prepared for it to be a bit of a wait-and-see game rather than freaking out about it. 

What I was hoping to get from you lovely lot are your absolute top tips. What do you wish someone had told you at the beginning? Any products you swear by? Must haves when you go for treatment? Great hair accessories you’ve discovered? I’m also happy to hear the “wish I hadn’ts” as well if you think they can help! 

Thanks for reading this and thanks in advance for your comments and helpful hints.

Big hugs

BeanieBoo

Hi

I love your approach, BeanieBoo. The immediate thing that came to mind is DO NOT GOOGLE. You may want to research but stick with recognised sites like Macmillan, Cancer Research, the research projects here, Mayo Clinic and, of course, your oncologist. There’s a lot of outdated material out there, horrendous photographs, alarming statistics seen out of context. And your context is your unique diagnosis plus your personality. Me, I played ostrich. I didn’t want to know, just trusted my team and got through it. But after treatment, I looked up one thing the breast care nurse didn’t mention when I asked her to go through everything. 2am, I was thinking about it so I googled. At that point, I went into meltdown but my amazing bc nurse sorted me out, provided the essential context I needed and made me see things in a new light.

Second, treat statistics with extreme caution. A 3% difference if you have a treatment you’re not keen on could mean 100% for you and 0% for some unlucky person. You know what they say about statistics.

Third, trust your team. It’s a multi disciplinary team (MDT), some of whom you won’t meet, but they do know their stuff. Don’t be stoical. They can only help if you give them every bit of information so, if you get a side effect, report it. It may make a difference.

Good luck with your treatment - you’ll come out the other side exhausted but chuffed. I’m sure others will give you the practical tips.

Jan x

Hi and sorry about your diagnosis. 

i have 5 weeks left to go with my chemo treatment. I can’t believe that 13 weeks have gone by. Back on the 1st October on my first chemo day it felt like I’d be doing this forever so take heart that it does pass.

The best thing I ever did was read some blogs over on the Macmillan site. I read a couple in particular that were so heartwarming and down to earth - one was called One Life, Live it and the other It’s Gone Tits Up. Both of these women were in the middle of chemotherapy when I was diagnosed in June last year and they really helped me so I decided to write my own - Cancer Just Messed with the Wrong Boobs. The blogs were so inspirational and I thought if they can get through chemo, surgery radiotherapy- then I can too. 

Things that helped practically, particularly whilst I was waiting for a start date were gathering practical stuff together in a basket E.g paracetamol, gavisgon, a digital thermometer, immodium, Movicol (or another constipation remedy) boiled sweets, a couple of water bottles, lip blam, hand cream, cuticle oil.

I bought a couple of beanies/turbans, in fact I bought loads but I’ve actually probably only worn the same 3 so be careful what you buy. I didn’t bother with the cold cap, just personal choice but I just didn’t want to be at the hospital any longer than I needed to. I had my hair cut short and then stupidly bought a short wig which I hated so then bought a cheap bobbed one (similar to my usual style) off Shein (£13 ) which I’ve worn loads.

I actually got more information about side affects and practical stuff from online forums than the medical teams. Macmillan and Breast Cancer Now plus a big Facebook group we’re my go to for advice and support.

You will honestly be fine, there are more good days than bad. You will cry, and find it hard but it’s just a short term situation for a long time gain

Lou x