70495members
370832posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I’ve had a diagnosis, and an MRI, and now they want to do more screening?

4 REPLIES 4
Mai7
Community Champion

Re: I’ve had a diagnosis, and an MRI, and now they want to do more screening?

Hi Pulapula, sounds like you are slowly ploughing through and digesting everything.  It's a lot to take in isn't it?   If you're having chemotherapy I recommend you join the monthly chemo thread in "going through treatment" on this forum.  You can chat with others going through the same. I found this really helpful and we all became great friends and have met up she finshng treatment.  It's been wonderful to support each other.  If you're worried about finances you could submit a PIP claim on https://www.gov.uk/pip/how-to-claim as soon as you start chemotherapy.  McMillan information office are usually good at helping with these claims.  Xxx

Pulapula

Thanks for taking the time to reply Mai. I'm so glad to hear you are currently clear, and sorry to hear what you have been through. It is encouraging to hear good news stories, especially given your inital diagnosis.

So, I've had a lot of info to digest today, and might have got a bit muddled about some of it!

The MRI showed a couple of other areas in the same breast (tumours) which need further examination/biopsy, but they didn't have space in clinic today so I'll go back for US - they'll phone or send a letter.

The consultant recommends a course of chemo now, and then review tumours after to see if I need a mastectomy or lumpectomy.

I had my pre-op assessment today for a lymph node biopsy which will take place in next couple of weeks. The side effects from that are pretty worrying, and all the exercises you have to do!

They will also insert a clip in the main tumour, and biopsy the other tumours (unless they do those in clinic after the US?) whilst i'm under GA.

I'll be sent an oncologist appointment for my chemo treatment.

If the other tumours are cancerous too, then I will probably have genetic testing to see if I have the BRCA gene. Not mentioned this to my family yet, as dont want to cause unnecessary worry for them at this stage.

I plan to continue my shop job (3 half days a week) for another week or so (its 1 week's notice). I'm more worried about my own businesses as I'm self-employed (sole trader) and have a lot of needy clients so its coping with all that when I'm feeling tired and unwell during treatment. Oh well, just got to get through this...

Mai7
Community Champion

Hi Pulapula, sorry you find yourself here but glad you have found us.  Its all very scary to begin with and I'm glad you are feeling a bit calmer after chatting with your BCN.  I had a very large tumour (90mm) and 9/12 lymph nodes affected and here I am almost 18months since my diagnosis with no evidence of disease.  I had a mastectomy and full node clearance and no sign of any lymphodema either.  Im now waiting to make decisions on a delay reconstruction next year.  I hope my story is a light at the end of the tunnel for you http://lifeafterlola.com

Hopefully you won't have as much treatment as me but if you do its all doable. Sending hugs. xxx

Pulapula

Thanks Sunflower,

My BCN called me a short while ago to let me know they have my results and will talk them through tomorrow as planned. I mentioned the call I'd had and she did say she wished they hadn't said anything and just left it til the morning, as it just stresses people out! I agreed. I guess it wasn't their fault as they didn't know I was due in clinic tomorrow as my appointment with my BCN wasn't on the system.

Anyway, she said that sometimes the MRI just highlights some areas to have another look at via ultrasound. She couldn't rule out more biopsies as it depends what they see...

I feel a bit better after speaking to her, although obviously i'm still worried about any spread to nodes or any further tumours. But we are getting closer to having the full picture and getting started on treatment.

We still haven't said anything to the kids (aged 13, 11, and 9) as we've been waiting to see what treatment they plan - I know it's a mastectomy, but will hope to find out tomorrow if they recommend chemo first or not as they should have my receptor results.

Pulapula

I’ve had a diagnosis, and an MRI, and now they want to do more screening?

I was feeling ok about my appointment tomorrow until I got a call to say I need to go back for more screening.

I had a mammogram (both), ultrasound (left side only) and core biopsy on 1 Aug.

Found out on 8 Aug I have invasive ductal carcinoma 30mm grade 2/3.

Booked in for MRI which I had last Friday 17 Aug

The group meeting took place today and they said they’d have my receptor and MRI results in and we could discuss treatment tomorrow.

Now I’m all anxious and my mind is working overdrive as they now want more screening following the meeting.

Can’t be a mammogram as that didn’t show anything as boobs too dense. Could be an ultrasound on right breast maybe which is a worry. Or could be another biopsy on something else? Again, a worry.

Anyone got any other suggestions which might help me get some sleep tonight?