IDC - Stage 1 - Grade 3

My wife recently had a lumpectomy and they removed 2 tumors, 1 was 5mm and the other was 7mm.  They sent them to the genomics lab for oncotyype testing to see if chemo is required.  We are worried that a grade 3 is aggresive and will need chemo.  Does the grade affect the prognosis?  No lymph node involvement.

@rjh18   Do you know what type of cancer she has been diagnosed with e.g. e.g hormone positive, HER+ or Triple Negative?  The type will affect prognosis.

How did your wife go I’m stage 1 grade 3 hormone positive her 2 negative 

Waiting on oncotype results 

Breast Cancer Now has a leaflet about the oncotypeX test results and what they mean. Also there’s advice on the different grades of cancer. Grade 3 means the cells are quite abnormal it’s the most likely to spread of the three grades 1 is fairly like ordinary cells, 2 a bit more abnormal, and grade 3 the most abnormal.

The oncotype X test is done in the USA to work out whether having chemotherapy will improve your prognosis.

the test compares the genetic composition of the cancer with thousands of other results and then gives it a score.

Without looking at the OncotypeX breast cancer care leaflet I can’t remember what the cut off point is for when chemo is worth having. The cutoff point differs  according to whether a person is older or younger when diagnosed - all I know is my cancer cells were sent off and two weeks later I was told I would not benefit from having chemo. That was a relief as I don’t want to have chemo. It takes ages, you can loose your hair and it has risks as well as benefits.