Information needed asap re why no implant due to previous radiotherapy

Hi, I had a results appointment yesterday, I’m due to have a single mastectomy in two or three weeks. Due to radiotherapy on the same breast seven years ago they’ve told me I can’t have an implant, I have to have an LD.

Please could someone explain why it’s not possible to put an implant in breast that has previously had radiotherapy?  I would have gone with the implant but at this news I feel like not having reconstruction if it means LD. I have to decide by Monday.

Thanks,

FC

Hi Firecracker,

Spotted you haven’t yet had a reply and need to decide by Monday.

I’m aware radiotherapy does cause some damage to the breast tissue and that it can cause fibrosis (hardening of the tissue), however I don’t know if this may affect whether anyone can have implants.

It may be worth you posting in the ask a nurse section, or if you need a really quick response phoning breast cancer care to speak to a nurse.

Not sure if you are due to meet the surgeon on Monday, if you are you could write out all your Q’s re the various scenarios to try to get full clarity then.

I hope someone else can provide more info to help your thinking/decisions.

Seabreeze x

Hi Firecracker,

I can only tell you what my consultant told me as I was nervous about having radiotherapy as knew it meant no implant if I had a recurrence. The rads affect the skins elasticity and healing capacity so complications are high so he would not attempt it.  but the other consultant at same site said it can be done but it’s more difficult.

I have however read another thread on here where someone’s consultant was attempting it after rads and she was questioning the viability. I also questioned it with this sites nurse phoneline and she said she knew women who had rads, completely flat then had expander in to have implant.  I

So ask as many valid sources as you can and I think you may also ask for second opinion? Be aware of the higher risks but I totally understand why you may prefer implant to autologous.

Good luck x

Thank you Seabreeze and Leonie, your posts are really useful.

FC