Invasive Lobular Breast Cancer

First time to post and feeling very scared. 

Diagnosed with Stage 2 Invasive Lobular Breast Cancer recently.  Underwent a therapeutic mammoplasty and axillary node clearance. Got the results of my surgery yesterday and was told that I needed more surgery (mastectomy) and chemo. The one thing that really frightened me was out of the 13 lymph nodes that were removed, 12 had cancer in them. 

I am due for a whole body CT scan on Monday, but I’m feeling pretty terrified. I have no symptoms/aches or pains bodily wise (although I have a sore back today on and off but I don’t know whether I’m being paranoid) and found a thickening in my right breast a few weeks ago which I got investigated which turned out to breast cancer so still in shock.

I have a lovely little family who I want to see grow up and feel very tearful and anxious, although hiding this in front of my children as I don’t want to worry them. They know mummy has breast cancer, but not the rest which was told to me yesterday. 

Can anyone advise/help me please?

Hi Shades,

Sorry to hear what you’re going through, the early days of diagnosis are so difficult.

I’m sure the other ladies with children will be along shortly to share experiences, but it’s also worth looking at the main bcc site Here for information & advice about telling children. There is also a publication called ‘Mummys Lump’ which helps explain it all to children.

It does take time to get your head around around it, so do be kind to yourself.

There’s loads of support here, so when you start treatment, do look at the ‘going through treatment’ part of the forum, where you will be able to chat & get support from others where you are now & further down the line

Sending hugs

ann x

Hi Shades

I had invasive lobular too. It’s all a bit scary at the beginning especially when waiting for scans etc. You will feel better(ish!) when there’s a treatment plan. I’ve just finished chemo, and I was very fortunate in terms of side effects. I got tiredness and hairloss, but very little apart from that. Oh, and weight gain, thanks to the steroids! On to radio next…

Hope the scans turn out OK

All the best

Hi , in 2016

i had nodes - grade 3 invasive,

i had 2 lumpectomys and 8 nodes out 

then 16 ( chemo , pac) and hercep 

I’m fine now and have shoulder length hair and a great new job . 

It took a while ( over a year ) to get through treatments but I’m looking good ( well better than a bald raccoon ) and my kids 6 11 and 13 are still growing and I’m still here .

you will get through it and be you again , it’s an awful process at times but there are positives too .

dont worry about the nodes the chemo will blast anything left anyway … I look at it as we all have challenges  in our lives and some knock us to our knees and we struggle to get up , but we do get up one knee at a time xxx