Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Itchy rash 5 weeks after lumpectomy

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: Itchy rash 5 weeks after lumpectomy

Hi Mel

I called the nurses and was able to get an appointment to see my consultant this afternoon.  I got really upset but explained my fears . She kept saying that she was 100% sure that it was just a localized infection and not what I was thinking . She also said that she thinks I would be ok for radiotherapy next week.

The breast nurse said that my consultant was very experienced and that if she was giving a guarantee like that then I should be reassured.

I have been told to carry on with my antibiotics and she would be happy to see me via zoom (because of Covid ) before my radiotherapy if I needed to . 

I relayed all my fears and she did her best to reassure me and told me to stop googling.

The bcn knew I wasnt 100% reassured and said she would ring again tomorrow. 

I suppose my only option is to put my faith in my consultants words and the antibiotics and pray they start to work. 

I just absolutely hate this situation and how cancer has affected my health and confidence. 

Highlighted

Hi Nat,

why don’t you call the Breast care nurse and get an appointment? Maybe the antibiotics need changed or it could be a fungal infection or dermatitis which may need a cream to be applied. 
The emotional impact of breast cancer is enormous and a really individual thing. Do whatever you need to do to get the answers you need for reassurance. 

best wishes

Mel xx 

Highlighted

Hi Mel

Thank you for your response.

I am really try to rationalise with all of my feelings and emotions.

I stupidly went on google and there are cases where surgery can trigger inflammation breast cancer around the site of the wound. I'm now half way through my antibiotics and I'm just not seeing any improvement. 

I had also read that an ultrasound doesnt detect ibc and that a skin biopsy is the way to diagnose. 

I just feel like I want to be tested for that and then I definitely know .

It seems unlikey that I'll be starting my radiotherapy next week now.

I'm just really struggling at the minute .

Highlighted

Hi Nat,

It’s so difficult not to imagine the worse case scenario during this journey, I do it all the time! I find it helpful to try and employ logical brain

1. you’ve been seen by Consultant who was reassuring 

2. you’ve had a scan 

3. It’s over the operation site and not somewhere else on the breast. Your surgery was relatively recent and healing is still taking place 

4. You’re being treated with antibiotics. Sometimes with wounds it takes longer to see an improvement than if you were taking them for an ear infection or tonsillitis where you see results on day one. 

If you’re still feeling so worried perhaps phone your breast care nurse or make arrangements to see the consultant again. 
Wishing you the best of luck for your next steps 

Mel xx 

Highlighted

Itchy rash 5 weeks after lumpectomy

Hi .

Long story but I had a lumpectomy 5weeks ago for mucinous carcinoma and was informed everything was clear. Clear margin and 2 clear lymph nodes. 

I was doing really well and am due to begin radiotherapy next week however 5 days ago a large red, warm , itchy rash appeared over the site I had had my tumour removed. 

At first I thought it was a reaction to something and put E45 and sudocream on it . Nothing worked so I rang my clinic and was able to see my surgeon .

She thought it may be a slight infection and have me antibiotics. I was given ultrasound and I had a seroma drained. I'm 3 days into medication and it's still the same.

I have also taken antihistamines but nothing is helping .

I stupidly googled the symptoms and I have now diagnosed myself with inflammatory breast cancer....to say I am petrified is an understatement. 

I have researched that it can happen and I am now inconsolable. I mentioned it to my surgeon and she brushed over it very quickly.  Has anyone experienced anything similar??