Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Diagnosed and Mascetomy booked

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Re: Just Diagnosed and Mascetomy booked

Hi hope,  definateky agree being alive with one boob is much preferred time the other option. You sound like you've got some support for after the op which is great, I felt a great relief to get the C out and moving forward with treatment but do expect the emotions to hit you, it's usual after anesthetic without the added stress of BC so just be ready for it if it happens.   It's good you'll be drain free before you going home. One less thing to worry about.

Ill be thinking of you

Kip 

Highlighted

Hi Kip

Thank you for your reply.  All your tips are a great help.  I'm going in on 26 Feb and having to stay overnight. It's a 60mm area in total and nothing showed on the mammagram.  Just glad that I found the hard pea shape lump. The surgeon said that the drains will be removed before coming home. A front fastening bra sounds a good idea, even with nothing to put in it!  I'd rather be alive with 1 breast than dead with 2.  Both my daughters live far from me: 1 is abroad and the other 250 miles away.  I'll have some help for the first week post op and then I'm on my own which is a bit scary.  Not sure what will follow, chemo and/or radiotherapy and won't know until later.  Feeling a bit better about it with the help of all out there who have been through it... Hope - for the future of us all xx

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi hope,  I was diagnosed in April 2018..and sounds similar to you.  Initially one lump but after mri some other areas of speckled nasties so full mastectomy.  I chose to remain flat and still am, and happy too.  The op itself was very straight forward.  I was in theatre at 9am and back home by 3pm on same day,  one strip of plaster and a drain.  The drain was in for 3 days but manageable and was easily removed at home by nurse.   The wound healed quickly.  Just remember to do the exercises you get given as soon as possible as they help to get the movement back.  Take it slowly at first but do them as far as you can. As for the sentinel node bit.. If it's what I had it was an injection the day before surgery of a dye which f in nds its way to the nodes and when you are under anesthestic they can see the sentinel node as it shows up blue, that way theyknow which to take.  It didn't hurt just like a blood test.

A few tips for post op,  front fastening shirts and a soft post op front fastening bra, I got mine from Asda online,  take a cushion to put under your arm and under seat belt for journey home.  A triangular pillow helped with sleep at first as you can't lay on your side for a bit. Hospital gave me a heart shaped cushion to pop under the poorly arm which makes t comfy too.  But all in all just rest up but also try to have a little stroll every so often as it's good for circulation.  It won't seem like it now but you'll get through this,  I've had 2 ops chemo and rads and am out the other side... We've got you, hang in there you are not alone x

Kip

Highlighted

Thanks for your message a great help with so many mixed emotions. All in the build up to the big 'M'. I guess that it's just another thing to go through.  Thanks again Angela

Highlighted

Jan - Great that you are all clear now. I hope to be there eventually. The relief must be enormous

Angela xx

Highlighted

Hi Jan

Thanks so much for your message. Its reassuring.  I'm going to ask for something from my GP to help with my fear. The start of a long journey with lots of highs and lows to come. I read recently that there are 55,000 new cases in UK a year and the ratio has gone from 1 in 12 to 1 in 8 over the last 10 years.  Thanks to this charity, we are not alone aand can stay strong together

Highlighted

Hi I’m sorry your going through this it’s scarey when all new. I can’t help with your first question but the sentinel node imaging was fine, no tunnel, mine was a scanner on an arm which moved over you. Didn’t hurt either xxxxx

@Hope2020 wrote:

I was diagnosed last Friday following 2 lots of core biopsies and then told I would be having a mascetomy on 26 February. Still feeling shell shocked. I have 2 x grade 2 of about 8.2mm and numerous small nodules in the same area spreading over 21 mm which is in the upper right quadrant.  Speaking to the consultant, its not known if I will have to have radiotherapy.  I haven't been offered and implant. He spoke about reconstruction in 10 months time and seemed to advise against it. Is this usual? 

Has anyone had experience of Sentinel Node Imaging with the dye to mark the lymph nodes?  I'm terribly claustophobic and this is adding to my pre-surgery worry.  I had a bone scan last year and it was a large square box that came down on the body.  What is it like?

All this came about after finding a pea-size lump which was painful after knocking myself. The other nodules and tumours didn't show up on the mammagram and only the ultra-sound. I feel lucky it's been found so early.  Thanks to everyone for supporting each other. (Angela )

Highlighted

Hi Angela

I’m sorry I can’t answer your specific question but I wanted to acknowledge your post and offer you my sympathy. Shell-shocked is a good way of describing the blow. It’s a huge emotional trauma, not helped by all the additional tests which really add to the stress. I remember being horrified at the thought of being radioactive when I had my bone scan but, if you’re open about your anxiety, staff are very supportive. 

I hadn’t heard of the node imaging and it makes good sense - I had full axillary clearance which is a bit brutal but 19 of the 21 nodes were affected so it was necessary. Personally, I’d call my GP and explain that I need some help with all this. They may prescribe a mild sedative to take to help you through. My oncologist prescribed 2 lorazepam before each chemo to ensure I didn’t have a panic attack and do a runner (my claustrophobia includes feeling trapped if I know I can’t leave and when you are cannulated and on a drip, run you can’t. It was a tremendous load off my mind and I got through each chemo comfortably (but not away with the fairies). It’s worth a try if it’s a real problem for you.

Make sure you get advice from here before your op - front fastening pjs and loose clothes, for example. But first you need to get your head round this test. I wish you the very best of luck.

Jan (all clear now) x

Highlighted

Just Diagnosed and Mascetomy booked

I was diagnosed last Friday following 2 lots of core biopsies and then told I would be having a mascetomy on 26 February. Still feeling shell shocked. I have 2 x grade 2 of about 8.2mm and numerous small nodules in the same area spreading over 21 mm which is in the upper right quadrant.  Speaking to the consultant, its not known if I will have to have radiotherapy.  I haven't been offered and implant. He spoke about reconstruction in 10 months time and seemed to advise against it. Is this usual? 

Has anyone had experience of Sentinel Node Imaging with the dye to mark the lymph nodes?  I'm terribly claustophobic and this is adding to my pre-surgery worry.  I had a bone scan last year and it was a large square box that came down on the body.  What is it like?

All this came about after finding a pea-size lump which was painful after knocking myself. The other nodules and tumours didn't show up on the mammagram and only the ultra-sound. I feel lucky it's been found so early.  Thanks to everyone for supporting each other. (Angela )