Just been diagnosed invasive ductal cancer 2

Hi

i have just been told I have invasive ductal cancer 2

Cannot stop thinking about it every minute of the day

im sure you all know how I feel

positive stories please

i am seeing the surgeon 7th April to make the treatment plan

thankyou 

Peggy Peggy, sorry you find yourself here but glad you have reached out to Breast Cancer Now. Please do use all the support and services in offer as much or as little as you need. When you know your treatment plan do join the surgery and rads threads, use the someone like me option and ask the nurses option. Everyone on here will help with any questions too and step by step you will get through.Remember you are in control even if you don’t feel like you are Some take note book and ask lots of questions to appointments other don’t want to know too much, it’s your choice. :two_women_holding_hands: please remember your team have seen it all before and your treatments plan will be tailored to you specifically it is not a one size fits all treatments plan You should have been allocated a bcn at your unit, use them they are there to help guide you through too and they want to help, so don’t ever think you are being a bother to them, they want to help you through. :two_hearts: :two_hearts: :sparkles: :sparkles: Shi 

Hi Peggypeggy

I’m so sorry you have to join us but I can’t think of a better or safer place for you to find yourself in. There are countless women who have all experienced that ‘Cannot stop thinking about it every minute of the day”, myself included - and it’s exhausting.

I’m sure after the Easter lull you’ll get lots of advice. Some you’ll appreciate, some not, because everyone’s experience is unique. The positive thing is that you have a diagnosis and your MDT (multi-disciplinary team) is devising your treatment plan. These things are happening so my advice is to try to let them go. You can’t change it, so accept it and move into this unwelcome phase of your life in as positive a way as you can.

Don’t Google. Knowing the difference between ductal and lobular and all the different combinations of breast cancer isn’t going to help you feel any better. It could very easily terrify you (I speak from experience lol). Google doesn’t care that you are currently feeling like an emotional wreck and it cannot give you a factual hug, or any kind of reassurance for that matter. There’s an excellent team of nurses at the end of the phone if you ring the number above. They are helpful and reassuring and know their stuff if you want facts. People here are a fund of useful information about things they’ve learn along the way, what to avoid, what to prepare for, so you’ve made a good start in asking for positive stories.

There’s a lot of waiting once you enter what I call cancerworld - waiting for appointments, for tests, for results, for treatment, for the nurse to find lost notes… so find a good way to handle this. Some use mindfulness, meditation, EFT, puzzles…whatever works for you. There are other sources of support like Breast Cancer Haven, Macmillan, Maggie’s. Currently, since most bases are still closed, they are offering online support free of charge so it’s worth investigating.

I have a big beef with cancerworld. The language associated with cancer is scary. Invasive? Aggressive? These terms help the medical staff but they don’t help us. Battle against cancer, fighting bravely, currently Stand Up To Cancer (personally I flopped like a jellyfish); none of this is geared to encourage us to feel that it’s ok to feel terrified. We still come out the other side smiling with relief.

Your emotional wellbeing is something that will play an essential part in how you deal with your cancer experience. I really do advise you to do whatever you can to get yourself to a good place where you feel you believe yourself when you think ‘Ok, I can do this’. breastcancerhaven.org.uk/Pages/Category/haven-at-home?utm_source=website&utm_medium=homepage%20box&utm_campaign=havenathome

There’s lots here and something may help - but, like mindfulness, it needs time and concentration. I relied on YouTube videos - there are loads on how to relax, improve your sleep, manage anxiety. Have an explore?

I hope something here proves useful and, in a few days’ time, it will only be every other minute, then once an hour… it does get easier as you get accustomed to the huge shock and accept that you have to trust your team now. I wish you all the best and send a virtual hug,

Jan x