Just been diagnosed with breast cancer

Yesterday I attended breast clinic for results of biopsy of breast. I fully expected the results to be normal as I had a mammogram in May this year which was normal.  It was a complete shock to be told it was cancer.  I’m feeling totally overwhelmed and can’t stop crying.  How can I prepare for mastectomy.  Don’t know what to expect or how to get through it all. 

Big hugs being sent your way.

Not sure what else to say… the initial diagnosis is a huge shock and one we just don’t want to hear.  Keep talking!

I’m so sorry to hear your news.

It is a terrible shock and leaves you reeling. I was diagnosed in October just after a routine mammogram, and I remember that feeling of being totally overwhelmed. I felt everything had come to a sudden halt for several days. 

What I have found since then, is that it is a time of unpredictability, information overload and intense emotions. I had new information almost every week for a while and have had MRI scans and biopsies. It’s a lot to take in.

Many people suggested to me to go with it and there isn’t much else you can do. It probably isn’t much help to you now, but their wise words were to try to just focus on the information at hand. Also to be very good to yourself. Do the things that make you feel grounded. For me it was to keep up my swimming routine in between hospital visits. For me, and this is very personal, I found it important to let myself feel what I was feeling to read about my diagnosis, but not too much! 

The breast care nurse was really helpful and I had quite a few calls with her initially.  They are there for you. Use them. I started to write down questions in a note book so when I had the opportunity to speak to the nurse I didn’t forget. 

This site has been a brilliant resource for me too as it has such a lot of good information and has prevented me looking around the internet too much which can add to the anxiety.

Sending you lots of hugs at this very difficult time.

SeaGlass

Hi there LW

I had a mastectomy 10days ago, and although I’m not exactly back to normal, I’m well on the way, physically at least. All the hospital staff were amazing, kind and thoughtful as well as professional. I’ll get my detailed results in the next couple of weeks, but I’m so much more relaxed having got the surgery over and the tumour removed. I hope you’ll feel that relief too. Yes, we probably have a long road ahead but we’ve taken the first steps at least. A few suggestions- take your phone and headset with downloads (music, podcasts etc ) to listen to while you’re waiting or recovering, take some snacks in case you miss the main meal- I was starving at 10pm! I didn’t wear a bra in hospital, just a loose front fastening shirt. You’ll need some help at home for the first few days with washing and dressing, but I was a lot more comfortable after the drain was removed on Day 4. You’ll get through this, stay strong XX