67.3K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just diagnosed, I'm 35 with 4 small children.

7 REPLIES 7
Kisekae

Re: Just diagnosed, I'm 35 with 4 small children.

Thank you both for your replies, that's been really helpful and allowed me to have a small breath of relief.

Reboot

(BTW I’m 4 years post diagnosis now and it hasn’t affected our relationship thus far x)

Reboot

The best advice I was ever given was that “you need something bigger than the cancer to focus on”. The kids certainly were my something bigger. From the moment of diagnosis every decision was made for them really. 

My eldest just started school a couple of weeks before I started chemo so we put so much focus and attention onto that, and his school were fantastic too. He didn’t always understand when I was feeling particularly fatigued or didn’t want to get out of bed and would get upset if I was still in my pyjamas when he got home from school, so that just spurred me on to make sure I got dressed. 
We made a joke of lots of it too (he’d play with my scarves/wig etc). I was keen for him not to be scared by the word “cancer” so we were very open with him. He is definitely one who likes to know all the information so he can suss it out for himself.

I’m not sure how much help that is, but here if you need to chat x

Baroness

Hi,

I was diagnosed in April with Grade 3 Her2+, ER/Pr-.

I also have 4 children and am in my 30s.

Take every day at a time, be kind to yourself and remember to breathe.

While our journeys will be different, we have a similar starting point, so I am here if you need to chat to someone.

Take care

Erica

Kisekae

Thank you for replying. My kids are 7,6,6 and 4. How did your son cope through it all if you don't mind me asking. Gosh that must've been so difficult being pregnant at the time. 

Reboot

Hi Kisekae,

My son was 4 when I was diagnosed and I was pregnant with my second at the time, how old are your kids? Have they given you the “Mummy’s Lump” book? That was brilliant for us. Please feel free to message me x

Sending you love and strength x

Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Kisekae ❤️ Sorry you find yourself on here, please do ring the number at the top and use the someone like me option ❤️ They will be able to put you in touch with someone. ❤️ Hopefully others will pop on with advise, there are others who have been on the journey with small children and can offer advise ❤️💕💕Shi xx

Kisekae

Just diagnosed, I'm 35 with 4 small children.

Hello, I was diagnosed today with breast cancer grade 2, with spread to my armpit. Hormone positive, still waiting on her+/-. I'm coping okay but I'm scared of how this will affect the kids. Any other parents of young children?